2010 gx 460 blurry front camera - Club Lexus Forums

2010 gx 460 blurry front camera

Old 08-25-15, 07:15 AM   #1
humayun7
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 gx 460 blurry front camera

I recently bought a used gx 460 2010. The car is in excellent condition except that the front camera image is quite blurry. When I check the camera mounted in the grill I can see the lens cover is not smooth and seems cloudy. Its an expensive piece to replace and was hoping if any other member has faced similar issue and has an inexpensive way to fix it. From what I can tell the camera is fine but the cover is cloudy and unfortunately lexus dont sell cover serperately. Many thanks
humayun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-15, 07:56 AM   #2
Randy B
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by humayun7 View Post
I recently bought a used gx 460 2010. The car is in excellent condition except that the front camera image is quite blurry. When I check the camera mounted in the grill I can see the lens cover is not smooth and seems cloudy. Its an expensive piece to replace and was hoping if any other member has faced similar issue and has an inexpensive way to fix it. From what I can tell the camera is fine but the cover is cloudy and unfortunately lexus dont sell cover serperately. Many thanks
Get a hold of a place that refinishes headlight lenses. I'm sure they can clear that up quickly and cheaply with some super fine grit and polish.

Randy B
Randy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 12:08 AM   #3
humayun7
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B View Post
Get a hold of a place that refinishes headlight lenses. I'm sure they can clear that up quickly and cheaply with some super fine grit and polish.

Randy B

Thank you Randy B

I have found a detailing shop that does headlights. Will take the car next week. In you view what are the changes that polishing may make the clarity worse?
Old 09-09-15, 06:47 AM   #4
Randy B
Lead Lap

If it's on the outside of the lens, it should be repairable by them. If it's on the inside, the camera was compromised, and needs to be replaced. The lens is similar to material for the headlamps. Able to withstand bugs, sand blasting and rocks to a point. I provided to you how I would go about it. No guarantees, no prior experience on the camera lens.

I did have the lens restoration done on my 06' LS430 last month. I came away very impressed from the process and finish.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night though, so my opinion may be fodder

Randy B
Old 09-09-15, 10:38 AM   #5
humayun7
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Randy

I want to share a photo of the camera with you. please let em know if you would like to add anything more after seeing the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 gx 460 blurry front camera-img_20150909_192522.jpg  
Old 09-09-15, 11:48 AM   #6
Randy B
Lead Lap

That looks like overspray from a bumper touch up, more than a sandblast from road debris over time. Let them look at it see what they think, is my recommendation.

Randy B