GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-16, 11:26 AM
Puch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My experience on a 2011 GX 460 with 95,000 kms:

I had serious vibration (both front and rear) at highway speeds (100-120 km/h) and shaking when braking. The steering also felt very fluttery and loose on the highway. Numerous wheel balances and alignments did not fix the frustrating issue.

Then I installed new OEM brake pads and rotors all around and the vibration problem was totally resolved. I also had the flutter TSB done and the truck drives perfectly now on all road surfaces. No vibration and the steering is tighter and more precise at highway speeds.
Old 10-10-16, 08:27 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Recently went in for a reballlance and had a different sales rep that told me my cost was $177. My original rep stepped up and said no charge. The original rep knows that I have never been happy with the balance.

I still shake at 60 mph (5 mph give or take). I am sick of this and would be embarrassed if I have a passenger or let some one drive my Lexus. It is a work truck so this has not come up. I am wondering if there is something loose in the suspension? Two sets of custom made $4,000+ DUB wheels and two sets of high-end SUV performance tires and my steering wheel aggressively shakes and my seat vibrates with every attempt to fix this.

Buttler Tire said the wheels are Hub-centric (of course they are). I am pissed with my ride quality and not sure how to fix it.
Originally Posted by Puch
My experience on a 2011 GX 460 with 95,000 kms:

I had serious vibration (both front and rear) at highway speeds (100-120 km/h) and shaking when braking. The steering also felt very fluttery and loose on the highway. Numerous wheel balances and alignments did not fix the frustrating issue.

Then I installed new OEM brake pads and rotors all around and the vibration problem was totally resolved. I also had the flutter TSB done and the truck drives perfectly now on all road surfaces. No vibration and the steering is tighter and more precise at highway speeds.
I purchased Eppieguys aftermarket rotors and pads (thanks Eppieguy!). I had them installed today. I considered doing this myself, but didn't really want to deal with the hassle as I have many other things to do and I received a take home and pick up ride from the shop.

I had somewhere else to be after I picked up my GX. Once I hit 60mph the first time on this trip I realized there is no vibration. I then made it a point to hit 60mph as much as possible. The vibration is GONE!!! It now rides like a luxury truck should.

My confusion is, no shop has mentioned this possible problem as a solution. I purchased my GX at I believe 38,000 miles from a lease that was auctioned off. What are the odds that the rotors (front and back) would have been replaced with anything but OEM in a lease? I seriously doubt the rotors were ever changed under 40k miles. My problem was constant seat and stearing wheel shaking so this would be due to a front and rear problem with the rotors.

I will update after a few days of driving.
Old 10-11-16, 09:45 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1
[

Yes, the 30 mile stretch of testing in SoCal consisted of driving in very smooth, flat concrete and some stretch of really worn asphalt roads. I, too still can't believe the vibration only happened from 60mph to around 75mph, then all vibrations on the steering wheel dissipates. As soon as I had five wheel balancing done I began suspecting my wheel bearings and ball joints, brake parts, any any moving parts. I lifted the GX without removing the wheels and shaked the wheels and other moving parts. I checked for leaks, rubber tears, or anything that might look out of place and everything looked and felt normal.

Thank you for reading my blah, but I have to admit I was wrong with my assumptions about software or brake system issues. I realized this morning after doing some inspection of my wheels, brakes, suspension parts, etc that my "push-through" center hub cap was not fully flush with the back of my wheels. The hub cap is a push through type that you push out from the back of the wheel. The end of the metal hub cap where it meets the rotor face plate allowed for some gap. Apparently, the center cap had a protrusion of about half millimeter, which was thick enough to prevent a perfect contact between my wheels and the rotors. Tightening the lug nuts was not enough to have tight and flat surface to surface contact between my wheels and the rotors, allowing some wheel wobble at certain speed because of the gap. As soon I removed the center cap, all my steering wheel shake issues disappeared.

I
Man, wished I saw this a couple months ago.

Are you running without the hubcaps now? Or did you remount them perfectly flush? Was it just one cap or was it several or all? Thanks!!

I don't have any input on the pads.
Old 10-14-16, 06:14 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Confirmed, my 3+ year frustration with vibrations is over
New rotors was the fix for me.

Last edited by tecman; 02-04-20 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-17-16, 01:46 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by tecman
Confirmed, my 3+ year frustration with vibrations is over
New rotors was the fix for me.
Congrats!!
Old 10-24-16, 09:23 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Man, wished I saw this a couple months ago.

Are you running without the hubcaps now? Or did you remount them perfectly flush? Was it just one cap or was it several or all? Thanks!!

I don't have any input on the pads.
'Sorry for the long pause bro, I ended up cutting the cylinder hub in the middle. It used to be 2.5-inch long, then I used pliers to bend the end where I made the cut, just enough so it will not detach from the wheels after mounting them. Since the flair /bent end is much smaller than the original one, the wheels are now perfectly flush against the rotors. I still use the caps, since I am using the half of the cylinder which the caps get attached to. As an update, there are days when I still feel the slight steering wheel vibration and some days there is none, when driving on same roads. Tekman may have the best solution to these vibrations. I beginning to think that I may have to buy new brake pads and rotors sooner than later if this vibration thing keeps coming back randomly.
Old 10-25-16, 07:18 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1
'Sorry for the long pause bro, I ended up cutting the cylinder hub in the middle. It used to be 2.5-inch long, then I used pliers to bend the end where I made the cut, just enough so it will not detach from the wheels after mounting them. Since the flair /bent end is much smaller than the original one, the wheels are now perfectly flush against the rotors. I still use the caps, since I am using the half of the cylinder which the caps get attached to. As an update, there are days when I still feel the slight steering wheel vibration and some days there is none, when driving on same roads. Tekman may have the best solution to these vibrations. I beginning to think that I may have to buy new brake pads and rotors sooner than later if this vibration thing keeps coming back randomly.
Good to know!

My vibration is so slight, and only around the 65-70mph point and goes away, that I don't know if I should mess with it. But eventually I could use pads and rotors so hopefully that'll take care of itself when the time comes.
Old 12-09-16, 10:23 AM
kingtux
Rookie

Default Break slight vibration

I have only had the my 16 GX460 for a week, what i'm noticing is very slight vibration in the break pedal. It appears the vibration happens every 3rd press of the break? Is this normal, feels like ABS but not to that extreme, almost like a cell phone vibration. Seems like it is something normal on the truck since i've felt it from day 1 but wanted to confirm with everyone.
Old 12-09-16, 01:59 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

The rotors shouldn't be warped so soon and with every 3rd press seems odd. let Lexus check it out and let us know the outcome.
Old 12-10-16, 07:42 AM
kingtux
Rookie

I should have mentioned that the vibration which is very similar to a cell phone vibration also happens while in park, it feels like an electrical plus not mechanical.
Old 12-12-16, 02:39 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 2017 GX460 vibrating break pedal

Hi all,
I am new to this, so please bear with me.
A week ago, I purchased 2017 Lexus GX460 Base and I noticed something that I am not sure if it's ok.
From the time of the test drive (car had only 3 miles and was in full factory plastic seal), I noticed that as I am starting car while holding my foot on the break pedal, it's vibrating (like a cell phone vibration). Then as I am driving, in some low speed conditions (less than 10 MPH), I am feeling the same vibration/pulsation. I had a look at the brake disk and it doesn't look wrapped.
I searched several threads here and noticed that same issue was reported by owners of 2014/2015 models and is reported by several experienced users and dealers as normal functionality.
Does anyone know if that break vibration/pulsation feeling is something also applicable to 2016/2017 models.
Thank you for your input.
Old 12-12-16, 08:05 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a '16 and it does the exact same as you are describing at lower speeds (stop and go/city traffic).

You're probably referencing to this search result that you found earlier. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...0-braking.html (specifically post #11). The brakes must have been updated/upgraded during the 2014 refresh??

As an aside, I was also surprised to find out that the current GX shares the same squishy brake pedal noise as the 5th gen 4runner.
Old 12-12-16, 08:45 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Thank you ObsidianBl. That's exactly the same thread that I found. Thank you for your time confirming that it exists in later models as well.
As in regards to squishy break, I am actually much happier with my GX brake performance, than my wife's ES350, where brakes feel like a sponge.
I guess each car's break performances tuned differently.
Old 12-13-16, 09:58 AM
PapaLeo
Rookie

I noticed the same exact vibration on my 17 GX460 ever since the test drive until now (1.5 week later). Vibrations occurs randomly but alway at low speed (below 10 MPH). It feels like, car is boosting the brake thinking that I am not pressing hard enough to stop.
Old 12-13-16, 10:05 AM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Also I would like to mention that link below discussed similar question coming from 2015 owner when someone posted Lexus tech bulettin where it was indicated that since 2014 model year, break system on GX had been changed to a more complex incorporating several function that that break pedal shuddering is now considered normal functionality and not a mulfunction.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...0-braking.html

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues