GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-15, 09:44 AM
mbtn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$300-$500 sounds about right although the price I was quoted for the sepia bottom seat covers from Lexus was approximately $600 per seat which seems to me, too high. One thing recommended by the upholstery shop that helped quite a bit was Lexol conditioner. It substantially improved the appearance of the seat bottom covers.
Old 03-25-15, 07:32 AM
acas1229
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 GX 460 constant shaking

Just bought a 2010 GX460 (2/15). Traded my 2007 4Runner V8 4x4.

Reviewing this thread I found I could relate to the issue of constant shaking at highway speed. To refrain from a long winded write-up, I have limited my comment to bullets.

Issue
- Shaking at 60 mph on up;

Solution
- Replaced all tires (80% worn); and
- Had alignment done.

Results
- Wheel/Tire balance was all messed up. Weights were scattered all over;
- Excessive negative toe was determined and corrected;
- Shaking has ceased and the vehicle runs exceptionally smooth at all speeds.
Old 06-04-15, 09:17 AM
fmlyguy
Driver School Candidate

i'm having the same problem with my 2012 gx460. Truck has 45k and steering wheel constantly shaing. Also did new tires,balanced and alignment......twice at different locations. It's been this way after the first 5k miles. is there a fix for this? Very disappointed in lexus. FRUSTRATED AND NEED HELP. FEELING ROBBED.
Old 06-04-15, 01:53 PM
acas1229
Driver School Candidate

I assume this shaking occurs at high-speed (60mph+). If at less speed, then something like your steering rack may be the problem. Most of these reported shakes are the result of imbalances in the vehicle. These imbalances do not become noticeable until they are magnified by high speed.

Please let me know which of the following occurs:

1) Vehicle shakes both at speed and when braking?
2) Vehicle shakes at speed, but not when braking (this is subjective, since the GX is heavy a little shaking is noticeable)
3) Vehicle does not shake at speed, but shakes when braking.

Check the following:

Tire pressure - The effects of uneven tire pressure can be magnified at high speed (doubt this is it, but cheap fix.)

Wheel balance - The balance of the wheel/tire could be off. If the weights on the wheel aren't in one spot then something is wrong.

Alignment - You never know, but it's worth a shot.

Air bags (if equipped) - My GX auto-levels, if an air bag is non-functional then an imbalance may occur. Remember this vehicle is very heavy so a minor imbalance may be magnified at high speeds. I had an air bag go out at 50K miles, so it's just a thought. Unfortunately, I could not test this theory as I had the bag replaced immediately.

Shocks/Strutts - One or more could be out. Best to replace at 50K - 60K miles.

Rotors - If the car shakes or steering wheel shakes while braking then your rotors may be warped. This is a known problem with the GX. I've had mine replaced and am planning on it again soon. The front rotors just don't seem to last long. It could also be the brake pads themselves. The pads could have not been replaced or the new pads were improperly seated.

Caliper and Pistons - You could have a stuck piston. The piston pushes the brake pad onto the rotor which causes the friction needed to stop. I've had a stuck piston before and it caused a lot of problems. Just think of what it is like when you're at the grocery store and you get the cart with a stuck wheel. Same concept.

These are just my thoughts on what to try. Sometimes it's a combination of things and it's best to troubleshoot everything just for the peace of mind. I once had a car with 30K miles on it that drove really loud. Everyone would ask me if I put an exhaust on it or something. I said no, and that the car was just that way (poor insulation I thought). I took the car in multiple times to resolve the matter thinking it was possible the wheel bearing and was routinely told it was normal, or the tires, or the brakes. After replacing everything twice with no luck and being told again and again that there is no way a wheel bearing would go out on a car with less than 100K miles, I asked if they would just check so I could scratch it off the list at my expense. Low and behold, the wheel bearing was shot. The dealer/mechanic couldn't believe it. The lesson I learned is don't skip anything when troubleshooting a problem. Yes, a wheel bearing shouldn't fail so soon, but it can happen. 9 out of 10 times it's the thing you missed. Good luck, I hope this helps.

_ AC
Old 08-16-15, 02:24 PM
Togx
7th Gear

Question Steering wheel vibration at high speeds

Hey fellow members,

I came across the issue when I test drove GX 460 2011 model year recently at a Lexus dealership in Ontario. The sales said this is a wheel balancing issue.

The ride was very smooth on side streets until I hit highway at 60 miles per hour or higher. All of sudden the steering wheel started to vibrate.

Yesterday I picked up the car from the dealership and thought it should have been fixed. I even saw the work order for rebalancing the tires. However on my way back home, I can still feel vibration as I accelerated over 60 miles per hour. I called the sales right away and he said he will get in touch with me Monday as the service department is closed on Saturday.

I went through many posts from the forums here regardless of GX's or not. It seems vibration is not uncommon for Lexus. I had a Honda Pilot 2008 which never had any mechanical issues and I only did tire balancing once whenever I bought new tires.

By the way, I also feel the brakes are sort of loose. I have to press relative hard to stop compared to my Honda Pilot. Is it common to GX?

Any comments guys? Do you have the same issue? I am really concerned about dealing with the dealer as it is an hour drive from my house. I have a 60 day comprehensive warranty. The mileage is 45K.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-16-15, 02:58 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I have the vibration on my 2011 also. I had custom wheels put on my truck shortly after I bought it and assumed it was the wheels or tires. My wheel shop ordered a new set of wheels with no difference. I have gone through 4 or 5 rotation and balance jobs every 5k miles and still have it at 60 mph.

Guessing you came across this in your search.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-shaking.html
Old 08-16-15, 03:27 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've always had a slight vibration at highway speeds as well. I have seen a post here about an adjustment in the front rack or replacing it to get rid of the vibration but it hasn't bothered me enough to let the dealer rip in to it.

Brakes are another compliant about the GX's, yes it's normal but if you need to panic stop it will stop great. It's normal for the GX.
Old 08-16-15, 03:30 PM
Togx
7th Gear

Thanks for your quick response! It seems you have given up fixing it.

Yes I have seen that thread! "Risa" had vibration issue at all speeds. Mine is only at higher speeds. I have seen improvement after tire balancing but the vibration is still there as I reach 60 miles per hour or faster. Hope the dealer can eventually fix it.
Old 08-16-15, 07:45 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vibration in GX

It may be you have a low quality tire or the place that is balancing them are not using a road force balancing machine. I have owned 5 different Lexus vehicles of various models one of which is a GX 460. I only use Michelin tires and have never had any vibration or balancing issues at any speed. When I go to buy a new Lexus if they have a Bridgestone or dunlop tires I demand they remove them and put on the Michelins at no additional charge. For the most part I have found the Bridgestones that have been in other cars I have owned to be quite worthless for ride quality and mileage.
Old 08-16-15, 08:19 PM
Togx
7th Gear

By the way, the tires are new Michelins, installed April this year. I forwarded all of the potential causes learned from this forum to the lexus dealership where I bought the car. hopefully they can resolve it eventually. I also read the maintenance history report. The car's check engine light went on end of last year and was checked again April this year. It is a surprise to see the check engine light went on for a 3 year old Lexus.
Old 08-17-15, 06:04 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have Michelin LTX's on mine, I took the OEM Michelins off and sold them. I had the vibration with the OEM tires and now with the LTX's and all in the same speed ranges.
Old 08-26-15, 10:24 AM
gxgrappler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the same issue on a 2010 GX. I run Michelin Tires.

Its strange. If I'm on very true pavement, there is no vibration at 60+ mph. But if I'm on certain pavement, which doesn't otherwise seem uneven, the steering wheel begins to vibrate, or flutter back and forth about half an inch or so at what seems to be about 6-8 cycles per second.

There is a TSB on this from Lexus, which suggests that all tires be rebalanced using a road force balancer, and that if the problem isn't solved there, a spring preload on the steering rack can be replaced with a stronger spring. Apparently it is also an issue in 4Runners.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about mine. The photos in the TSB procedure confirm that upgrading the spring in the steering rack requires removal of the front differential and is not a simple procedure.

Heres a link:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lmv2eugjpyCJuQ

Having read the other thread, it touches on this TSB fix and one person notes that it raises the steering effort required in everyday driving. Worth noting.

Last edited by gxgrappler; 08-26-15 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-26-15, 11:25 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Togx
By the way, the tires are new Michelins, installed April this year. I forwarded all of the potential causes learned from this forum to the lexus dealership where I bought the car. hopefully they can resolve it eventually. I also read the maintenance history report. The car's check engine light went on end of last year and was checked again April this year. It is a surprise to see the check engine light went on for a 3 year old Lexus.
Check engine light could be from not tightening the gas cap. It's hard to say what the previous owner did to cause that.

If it was serviced at that same dealer, they should have records of what codes were thrown to cause the check engine light.
Old 08-26-15, 02:04 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GX Vibration

I have had four new Lexus vehicles in the past 17 years. I upgraded my wheels using Lexus wheels, not any aftermarket brand. Saw a lot of LS460 complaints about vibration. Most had aftermarket wheels. I have never had a wheel vibration/balancing issue. Maybe the aftermarket just isn't tweeked as well. I presently own a 2015 GX 460 along with my other Lexus and do not experience any issues. I do know if they are not road force balanced you will most likely have some issues. Someone on the LS460 forum stated that discount tire did not road force balance tires.
Old 08-26-15, 02:53 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would second about road force balancing. Most dealers machines just spin tires without load. While this might be adequate in some cases the reality is when the wheel has the weight of the car applied it introduces variables that only a road force machine can accurately measure. Also road force machines can optimally pair wheels to make sure the vibrations are not getting amplified.

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues