Dashcam install advise - Club Lexus Forums

Dashcam install advise

Old 08-03-15, 07:30 PM   #1
Yar786
Driver School Candidate

Default Dashcam install advice

Hi I'm new to the forums and wanted some advice. I'm looking to buy and install the transcend drive pro 200 in my wife's 2014 gx. Has anyone had any experience installing a dashcam in the gx. Should I tap into the rear view mirror or down the a-pillar to the fuse box? I prefer the fuse box but kind of afraid of messing with the apilar which has curtain air bags in them. Not sure if there's any room in there to just slide in a wire

Last edited by Yar786; 08-04-15 at 08:28 AM.
Yar786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-15, 03:50 PM   #2
tecman
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2...ox-wiring.html

I looked at the info on your camera and I like it. Wifi and a good price, please let us know what the recording quality is. I am not happy with mine.

Thanks

Last edited by tecman; 08-04-15 at 04:13 PM.
tecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 05:36 PM   #3
Yar786
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecman View Post

I looked at the info on your camera and I like it. Wifi and a good price, please let us know what the recording quality is. I am not happy with mine.

Thanks
What camera do you have? I'm thinking about returning the transcent drive pro because it is on the large side which will stand out in the truck. I'm now looking at the mobius wide angle. I like the write up you did but why did you route to the hood instead of the fuses under the steering?
Yar786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-15, 06:29 PM   #4
tecman
Lexus Test Driver

I am on my second rear view mirror camera now. I also don't like to have the camera obvious looking. I went to the main fuse box for the needed room to put the cover back on. The camera I have now is not a good quality picture and using the duel cameras diminishes the main purpose of front view so I have turned off the secondary camera.

Falcon 360HD
Old 08-20-15, 12:50 PM   #5
Chocolate
Lead Lap

I use a simple solution: just a phone mount and a decommissioned iPhone 4S. No wiring neccessary, just pop it in and hit record and remove when done. I have it pressed against the rear view mirror from the right side to stay stable. Video quality is on par or better than most standalone dashcams, but a GoPro will best them all if you are considering this route. This setup works pretty well and is able to capture license plates from a decent distance during the day.
Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-15, 03:47 PM   #6
tecman
Lexus Test Driver

^ your "simple solution" sounds like a PITA
Press record, press stop, delete videos and recharge.

I prefer set it and forget it.
Old 08-24-15, 12:07 AM   #7
Chocolate
Lead Lap

Ha, well I like to let my engine warm up for 30 seconds to let the oil circulate and the engine to warm up a little bit, so the 30 seconds it takes to put up the radar detector (power wire already in place) and dashcam don't matter.
Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 10:19 AM   #9
11GX460
Driver

I was thinking about one of these. Small and discreet enough, fairly inexpensive and now with Wi-Fi. Just gotta find a location to mount it and cover-up the rainbow. Any thoughts?

Amazon.com : Polaroid Cube+ Mini Lifestyle Action Camera with Wi-Fi & Image Stabilization (Black) : Camera & Photo Amazon.com : Polaroid Cube+ Mini Lifestyle Action Camera with Wi-Fi & Image Stabilization (Black) : Camera & Photo
11GX460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 03:49 PM   #10
tecman
Lexus Test Driver

The Polaroid Cube WiFi doesn't seem practical for a dash cam application. I would suggest mounting the small camera on the back of the rear view mirror, but the power supply for the camera is on the back so that won't work. It has a magnet on the bottom so you could put a piece of metal on top of the mirror, but again that won't work.

You could add metal to the bottom of the mirror and put a magnet on top of the camera to mount it under the mirror.

I read some reviews on this camera and the picture quality doesn't sound impressive. Several comments like "cute" and "adorable" were mentioned along with it is marketed towards kids.

11GX460, if you are looking for an impractical cute and adorable kiddy camera for your GX, I say go for it.
Old 09-06-15, 07:15 PM   #11
T4Fun
Lexus Test Driver

I still have not seen a practicall good way to hardwire these devices into the gx due to complexity of electronics. I have the driver support package, so it gets more complicated.
T4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-15, 03:01 PM   #12
tecman
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Fun View Post
I still have not seen a practicall good way to hardwire these devices into the gx due to complexity of electronics. I have the driver support package, so it gets more complicated.
Wiring to one of the two fuse boxes eliminates the concern of the complex system. You have the two options posted on this forum. What is the problem

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2...-gx-460-a.html
Old 09-08-15, 08:56 PM   #13
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Fun View Post
My V1 and Blackvue 2 channel cameras work fine with the driver support packages.
vraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 04:16 PM   #14
tecman
Lexus Test Driver

I ordered this, I will run both cameras for comparison. I really want a wifi camera for the convenience (GPS is a plus).
Lane departure and forward collision option maybe a nuisance that I will turn off.

http://us.transcend-info.com/product...t_DP220_EN.pdf