GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

For those looking for more storage.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-15, 01:10 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Summer vacation is upon us, and I wanted some additional storage on the GX. I toyed with the roof mounted box models, and mentioned this to a friend. He suggested a hitch mount box, and provided an example. The big plus was not having a wind sail on the roof, as well as not having to load it so high off the ground.

I was familiar with the hitch mounted trays, however I had not seen the boxes. I found two brands, Stowaway2 and Thule. Both have tail lights and license plate lights built in. They use the flat four wire connector on a tow hitch harness.

http://www.stowaway2.com/hitch-cargo-carrier.aspx

http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/produc...r-665c-_-31144

I ruled out the Thule version due to it only tilting toward you when empty if needed. The Stowaway2 brand has two models though. A 12.5 & 16 cubic foot versions. The main plus to the Stowaway units is that they have a swing away frame option. So when it's fully loaded, you can detach a fastner, and swing it to the passenger side completely away from the back of the GX. This allows full use of the back door swing.

Both brands are not cheap new, so I started looking on Craigslist. Last week I found a hardly used 16 cubic foot model near the house. The previous owner had all the paperwork and hardware from new. I paid $200.00 for it and was very happy. Attached are pics from when I picked it up.

I used it the next day for a dive trip to Jupiter and loaded the gear in it before and after the dive. No MPG loss at all, and no sway issues. Didn't even feel it. Found out it also has a drain plug, which worked great after rinsing the gear.

Only downside I can see, is a having a storage place for it when not in use. I have one, I can see where others may have a challenge.

Randy B
Attached Thumbnails For those looking for more storage.-forumrunner_20150712_160621.png   For those looking for more storage.-forumrunner_20150712_160701.png  

Last edited by Randy B; 03-30-19 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 03:02 PM
KHawser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Timely thread, I have been going back and forth the last week between Thule racks/box and a hitch mount unit. I dont see any of these used near me, ao I suppose I am going to have to buy new. Ours is a '10 with the flush mount rails. If anyone else has any experience or suggestions, I would love to hear about it. I saw the thread a while back regarding putting the JDM Prado rails on it.
Old 07-12-15, 05:39 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for posting. Great to see storage options for the GX in actual use. I have no immediate need for one now but may in the near future. I was leaning towards roof mounted but this stowaway looks like a great option.
Old 07-13-15, 06:01 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The other big advantage with the cargo boxes is capacity. They will hold larger items, and up to 200 pounds. I think the max capacity of the roof rails is well below that. Also, the GX fin antenna interfered with my old Thule box. I have the fixed Stowaway, and was initially told I'd need an exhaust shield. Turns out that not only did I not need one, they don't even fit on the fixed version. Not sure if the swing-away model sits lower.
Old 07-14-15, 03:51 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just completed Omaha to Whitefish MT trip with a hitch mounted rack. It held up great but be very cautious of the exhaust. Even though mine was slightly above the outlet, I nearly had a fire and burned a hole through my water-proof bag and melted my golf club head covers. Side vented exhaust would be ideal.
Old 07-14-15, 04:25 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest2
Just completed Omaha to Whitefish MT trip with a hitch mounted rack. It held up great but be very cautious of the exhaust. Even though mine was slightly above the outlet, I nearly had a fire and burned a hole through my water-proof bag and melted my golf club head covers. Side vented exhaust would be ideal.
Wow - sorry to hear of the damage caused. Was this with the use of a heat shield?
Old 07-14-15, 07:01 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

That was without a heat shield. I crafted one for the return trip and had no issue.
Old 07-15-15, 03:00 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by midwest2
Thanks for the heads up on this. Even though the box sits up compared to a flat mesh hitch carrier, I called Stowaway today and they do recommend a heat shield for the GX and LX models. I ordered one ($32.00) plus a wire extension for the full swing effect (was about eight inches short due to where Lexus puts the trailer connector, cost $5.00), and they shipped for free same day.

With this part I shouldn't have to experience what you did,

Randy B
Old 07-15-15, 06:35 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Originally Posted by Randy B
Thanks for the heads up on this. Even though the box sits up compared to a flat mesh hitch carrier, I called Stowaway today and they do recommend a heat shield for the GX and LX models. I ordered one ($32.00) plus a wire extension for the full swing effect (was about eight inches short due to where Lexus puts the trailer connector, cost $5.00), and they shipped for free same day.

With this part I shouldn't have to experience what you did,

Randy B
Do u have photos of the heat shield and wire extension from Stowaway?
Old 07-15-15, 09:08 PM
redbrick
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...that a lot of moment on that hitch.... How does that affect the rear suspension, especially the ability to raise and lower the back?
Old 07-15-15, 09:35 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

I have the stock suspension so I can't comment on that, but the rear hitch and suspension are beefy, I noticed no difference in the level of the truck. I probably had around 200 lbs on mine--It's rated for 500. This set-up is far superior to any roof mounted system. You do need to disable the proximity warning system when using it.

I too would like to see a pic of the heat shield. I wonder if it looks better than a disposable aluminum roasting pan?
Old 07-16-15, 03:33 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Guys, I ordered the shield and extension yesterday. Will be here next week. I'll take pics before and after and post. If you go to Stowaway's website, and look under accessories, you will see two pics of the heat shield installed.

Randy B
Old 07-16-15, 04:39 AM
LFIL
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The heat shield I received but never used was a pretty thick piece of steel with a bend in it.
Old 08-30-15, 06:08 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Default As a follow up.

I received the Heat Shield kit, and the wire extension from the manufacturer. Loaded the box up along with three passengers and headed to NY earlier this month. Can't say enough good things about this box. Never felt it on the back, and had it loaded to the top on the way back to Florida. Each time we arrived at a house to stay for a few days, I took it off and stored it in a garage. When we were back on the road, it mounted right back up with no issues.

Attached are a few pics from upstate NY, before I headed back South. We traveled through rain and dry times. The box stayed dry the whole time, and heat from the exhaust was a non-issue.

Randy B
Attached Thumbnails For those looking for more storage.-img_0429.jpg   For those looking for more storage.-img_0436.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (07-05-21)
Old 07-03-21, 11:10 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Just want to bump this. Anyone have any updated recos for Hitch Cargo trays/boxes. Driving from TX to NY then MA. Was thinking of getting one to give some extra space to bring a few things back from MA. Was thinking something that folded up when not in use so that I have at least a chance to find someplace to park in NYC.

Quick Reply: For those looking for more storage.