GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Got bumped into while waiting for a red light - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-15, 05:54 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Got bumped into while waiting for a red light - what would you do?

So I was standing at the intersection when a car behind bumped into my GX. It wasn't a hard bump but enough to make the car roll about 2 feet or so (and I had my foot on the brakes).

I exited the car and looked at the rear bumper and did not see any obvious damage apart from some "chafing" on the tow hitch cover. However just in case I found anything later I have went to the other driver and asked for her insurance information.

She went into the argument claiming she does not see any damage, ignored my request and just took off on me!

Now I like my car very much and while there is indeed no apparent damage (as in requiring an insurance claim) I still think that taking off on somebody in this situation is not the right behavior. The police told me it's a hit and ran and I can file a report if I want. I got her plates and I have her going into her car and taking off on video. She did not even apologize or anything and just pretended to ignore the situation.

Am I over reacting here or shall I go ahead and file a hit and ran report? At this point this is basically not about damages but a behavior that I consider to be disrespectful.
Old 07-07-15, 06:24 PM
sgrol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd file the hit and run report. Sounds like she needs a lesson in humility.
Old 07-07-15, 06:39 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

If you have any damage, yes go after her. Otherwise let it go.
Old 07-07-15, 08:31 PM
user420
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

File the report.
Old 07-07-15, 09:33 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are lucky that your GX460 is equipped with a towing hitch, otherwise you would probably have a dent in the center of the bumper which is an eyesore. One of the reason why I installed one on my SUV.

You ran into a deadbeat & unapologetic driver perhaps with no insurance who quickly want to escape the accident scene.
Don't forget you'll still be responsible for the deductible either way-- uninsured (hit & run) or full coverage until the insurance company can be reimbursed from the other party. Minimal damage this time, what about next time?

Great job getting the license tag & recording the getaway scene.

I'll personally file the report. That way there's a history on the vehicle or driver. I definitely don't want to encounter your deadbeat driver in my territory.
Old 07-08-15, 07:59 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone for your replies. After sleeping over it I went and did a report. I stated while there were no obvious damages at the time of the collision the other driver just took of without leaving her info.

My logic was mostly in-line with what others posted -- I don't believe this kind of behavior should be encouraged by letting it slide.
Old 07-08-15, 08:45 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
Thanks everyone for your replies. After sleeping over it I went and did a report. I stated while there were no obvious damages at the time of the collision the other driver just took of without leaving her info.

My logic was mostly in-line with what others posted -- I don't believe this kind of behavior should be encouraged by letting it slide.
File a hit and run asap and also get a dash cam.
Old 07-08-15, 08:53 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vraa
File a hit and run asap and also get a dash cam.
Umm... that's what I did? I told them I have it on video but they told me the video is not required for now as they wanted to speak to another driver first. Also I think they have a traffic cameras on that intersection but I'm not sure it was pointed in the right direction.

Anyway they took my report and a picture of my car and sent me on my way.
Old 07-08-15, 09:01 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tecman
If you have any damage, yes go after her. Otherwise let it go.
My thinking at the moment was while there is no visible damages I have read enough horror stories when somebody bumps into somebody and it all looks fine until they take it to the mechanic and there is a foam deformation under the bumper cover and what not which then leads to big $$$ fixing it.

The other thing is how could she possibly know there were no damages just by looking at it? And if she was so sure there were no damages there shouldn't be any reasons not to leave her insurance info with me? I really hope it wasn't the case but by her behavior I wouldn't be surprised if she was driving without insurance to begin with.

I was just not going to chance this on the GX and be responsible for whatever might come up once I get home and see something else.
Old 07-08-15, 06:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

^^^ Point well taken. Good call on your part. It is easy for me to suggest "let it go" but if I had the same experience, I may do the same.
Old 07-08-15, 06:27 PM
zeyger
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you filed the report. And just like you said, just because there's not visible damage, doesn't mean damage doesn't exist.

Hopefully they find her and proceed accordingly. This type of driver is the reason insurance rates are so high...
Old 07-13-15, 09:06 AM
Pangoo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some people just don't have any respect for other people's property. I would file a report and make her pay for a new tow hitch.
Old 07-13-15, 10:01 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Glad you filed the report. Even if you have zero damage to your vehicle, she'll get her day in court. Isn't "hit and run" a felony? If so...that will stay with her forever.

The "Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" on job applications will be fun....

Good work getting the video and her plates. That should have been enough warning to her that you were going to report it if she left.

#BBC
Old 07-13-15, 10:18 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I bet they didn't have insurance and/or license. No reason for the other person to drive off like that.
Old 07-13-15, 10:52 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Glad you filed the report. Even if you have zero damage to your vehicle, she'll get her day in court. Isn't "hit and run" a felony? If so...that will stay with her forever.
I would think you will need to kill/injure someone and then take off on them for this to be a felony (but I'm not a lawyer so...). Here in Canada a hit and run can be a Highway Traffic Act ticket or a criminal offence. It's probably an HTA ticket which is considered a major traffic conviction.

Quick Reply: Got bumped into while waiting for a red light - what would you do?