GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-16, 10:07 AM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lexus GX 460 2011 Model Passenger side 2ndary air intake valve all eaten up. Is this covered by Lexus though the vehicle is out of warranty ? What is the part number for this ? Does the rubber valve come by itself or the whole assembly needs to be replaced ?

Lexus GX 460 2011 Model - Driver side 2ndary air intake valve eaten up as well. Is this covered by Lexus though the vehicle is out of warranty ? What is the part number for this ? Does the rubber valve come by itself or the whole assembly needs to be replaced ?

Lexus GX 460 2011 Model - some of plastic impeller fins are broken and traces were found in passenger side valve assembly. Other may have been stick in the hose. Is this repair covered by Lexus though the vehicle is out of warranty ? What is the part number for this ? Does the whole assembly needs to be replaced or just replacing the impeller will be fine ?

Passenger side bottom part of valve assembly

Driver side bottom part of valve assembly

Last edited by sudhs; 09-19-16 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Adding more pics.
Old 09-19-16, 12:40 PM
Rhinetom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Will Pay This!

You guys should really contact Lexus and have them pay. It worked for me! The bill totaled just over $1,600. My 2011 GX460 has 55K and the warranty had run out. I contacted the head service rep, my salesperson, and the head of the sales department. After a week of sitting in their shop, they called to say my vehicle was ready and there would be no charge to me. Make sure you mention that Toyota knows the problem and is currently correcting the problem on their Tundra's.

Last edited by Rhinetom; 09-19-16 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Including more info
Old 09-19-16, 09:27 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rhinetom
You guys should really contact Lexus and have them pay. It worked for me! The bill totaled just over $1,600. My 2011 GX460 has 55K and the warranty had run out. I contacted the head service rep, my salesperson, and the head of the sales department. After a week of sitting in their shop, they called to say my vehicle was ready and there would be no charge to me. Make sure you mention that Toyota knows the problem and is currently correcting the problem on their Tundra's.
The parts (OEM valves ($444) + aftermarket pump ($140) = $580) aren't cheap on this. I can guarantee that my dealership, even after Lexus approving for labor, may say that i'll have to pay for parts but may install for free. This is a good learning curve for me. Had never had a chance to work on my 2011 GX 460 (66K on it) though I worked on my bimmers quite some. But yeah.. no doubts.. if Lexus is willing to pay for this repair, t's a sweet deal. Secondly, the charges depend on dealerships.. looks like you got a pretty decent quote i.e $1600 whereas lotta others got a quote for $2200+, some in even $3K types.. It'll be stretching luck too far with that number, but definitely worth a try if you have some time on hand and a LOOTTA patience. IMO
Old 09-20-16, 05:35 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

For all the people who changed the valves, did you guys change the entire assembly or just the top part ? I tried taking out the entire assembly and its a bit*h to open the two screws that hold the assembly to the pipe that connects it to maybe at some place to the engine or whatever. Specially the one on the passenger side. There's some kind of wire harness that is held by some metal arm and that metal arm is solder connected to the hard a/c duct, which is just too difficult to move and you may not want to push it too hard as it may cause some other damage. Took me forever to reach using my 10mm open/close ended wrench. Any insight anybody ? Will post the pics soon of the assembly.
Old 09-22-16, 01:04 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

OK.. got the parts today. But before replacing them, I have a question for people who already performed similar repairs. Can anybody please tell me what torque needs to go for the 12mm and 10mm screws that holds the valves. Don't want to over-tighten and break things.. Looking for an expedited answer as I need to put these tonight EST and its already 4pm EST here.
Old 09-22-16, 04:40 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

So I called up the local Lexus dealership and confirmed that the torque for three 12mm bolts on the valves is 18 ft Lb and two 10mm bolts is 7 ft lb. I could easily tighten the 12mm ones with the torque wrench but there's no way you can tighten the 10mm ones since their head faces the firewall. So I just used the 10mm wrench and tightened it just adequate enough. Instead of using the breather that everybody else has been using, I used the K&N 1" breather filter i.e part no 62-1370 available on amazon at https://www.amazon.com/K-N-62-1370-Vent-Filters/dp/B00029WXTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474587276&sr=8-1&keywords=k%26n+62-1370 or even available at local Murray's/O'Reilly.
Wanted to clarify a doubt.. Whoever put in this external breather filter on an existing OR new assembly, I am assuming that they took out the crappy "SPONGE" filter that cause this issue on the first place. The brand new black color housing/assembly shown in the last 2 pics. on which the breather is attached, had the crapyy "SPONGE" filter that I removed before putting on the breather filter. Can somebody please clarify if they did the same.

Attached are the pics. after the works was done.

Last edited by sudhs; 09-22-16 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 05:04 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

Cool, glad you got it taken care of, thanks for the info. No internal filter in my GX and I would also assume it was not left in by others.

Last edited by tecman; 09-22-16 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-22-16, 05:51 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

First things first.. open that new pump casing and take out that crappy "sponge" filter from there. The install the below given breather on the outside vent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - Most people installed this as you can check on the dedicated thread for this issue

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - I installed this one

I suggest that you replace both the valves. My sponge was all eaten up by the secondary pump fan and shredded to pieces.. It even broke the fins of the pump fan. Both the valves had gewy rubber melted in them. So I replaced them both as well along with the pump. Got the valves for $199.99 and $244.xx from amazon thru. Daytona Toyota (2nd day free shipping) . Here are the links https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

check my posts and pics in the other thread dedicated to this issue. I have also mentioned the tightening torques of the bolts etc. and other info.. Hope this helps
The following 2 users liked this post by sudhs:
ahmerx (03-18-21), GX4602011 (02-08-17)
Old 09-22-16, 06:33 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience and purchase, Sudhs. Much appreciated.
Old 09-22-16, 06:35 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, I removed my old sponge as well even though it looked like it was still in good shape. The external mini filter performs the duties of the sponge now. And thanks for the write-up on the replacement of the valves. Hopefully, I will never need to do it, but at least I know where to turn to if I do.

Last edited by 11GX460; 09-22-16 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-24-16, 04:06 PM
sudhs
Driver School Candidate

Residents of the following states can take their vehicles to the dealer and check of Lexus will pay for the repairs under emissions warranty, even though your vehicle may be out of regular warranty. BTW.. user Rhinetom from TX who had his vehicle repairs paid thru by Lexus, though TX is not one of the states mentioned below. Sweet Talks help too and moreover it depends upon service adviser and dealership too.

California, Connecticut,Delaware, Maine, Maryland,Massachusetts, New Jersey,Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington

Also to mention that even after changing the pump+both valves 2 days back, the DIY for which is posted above, my vehicle still gave a P2441 code today morning. I Cleared it out and it has been driving OK for now. This may be just an issue with the new valves having some resistance in their operation in initial stages. Am actively monitoring and will keep you guys updated about the same. I might also have to clean out the hoses (from pump to valves) that may have some sponge residue in them.

Last edited by sudhs; 09-24-16 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-25-16, 01:36 PM
kappasig
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GX460 Secondary Air Injection Pump & Valves (Error Code P2442)

My wife's 2012 GX460 recently experienced the same issue at 78000 miles. I purchased the parts from the Lexus dealer for $1,704 and replaced them myself. Sure enough, the foam filter was sucked into the driver side valve. I also found water inside the pump motor. I contacted Lexus customer service and explained my dissatisfaction. They opened a case number and requested I send them a detailed explanation, a copy of the invoice, and any pictures. I submitted everything and received a phone call a couple of days later to further discuss. A week later, I received a reimbursement check for the full amount of the replacement parts.
Attached Thumbnails SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions-lexus-parts-invoice.jpg   SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions-old-valve-driver-side-with-foam-filter-removed-from-inside.jpg   SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions-old-valve-passenger-side.jpg   SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions-air-pump-motor.jpg   SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions-air-pump-housing-with-water-inside.jpg  

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions-all-parts-removed-and-replaced.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
GX4602011 (02-10-17)
Old 09-25-16, 02:19 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 820 Likes on 570 Posts

Excellent pics Thanks!!!
Old 09-26-16, 05:43 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Can anyone tell if installing the external filter will void warranty on the vehicle as unauthorized modification or not?
Old 09-26-16, 07:29 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
Can anyone tell if installing the external filter will void warranty on the vehicle as unauthorized modification or not?
It wouldn't void the warranty on any unrelated part. It would only void the warranty to the extent that the modification caused the problem you are seeking warranty coverage for.

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions