GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 03:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I thought someone here commented that 2014 was a redesign. I can't find that in the multiple threads for this problem. I searched parts sites and it looks like part 176100C040 is the older part and the newer one is 176100C030 (so 40 old 30 new). The sites are conflicting with model year compatibility and the parts diagram looks to have the same pump. Maybe a different internal filter on the part 30

Any 14+ owners have some info on this? I googled and searched youtube with no luck...

Edit: post #49 here is where I read about the update.
Someone with the 2014 needs to pop the top off and see what's in there....Kitana you asked so..tag, you are it. I will be patiently awaiting for your answer. You have 24 hours

Last edited by tecman; 03-12-16 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 04:31 PM
Kitana
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John Cleveland January 4, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Matt,

We’re not sure exactly what was changed to prevent the filter from getting eaten by the pump, but we’ve yet to see any GX460 with the updated parts have the issue again. I suspect they just glued the filter in place better. Any new version of the pump from Lexus will include the updated design as long as the dealer correctly supersedes the old number to the new. They will also have the service bulletin on hand that has the correct, updated part number. I don’t know if aftermarket pumps are updated. 2014 and later GX460s should all have the updated parts.

John

Me:

I have to wait for my personal mechanic to get home for this project.
Old 03-16-16, 03:40 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just wanted to thank everyone on this thread that got us to this point. I got the UNI Filter on Amazon, and put it on this evening after work. It took 10 minutes. Honestly the engine cover was the most intimidating part to me. (My 1994 Ford F 350 has no covers whatsoever!) Just use a nail punch or similar object and press the center of the little tabs that hold the cover in place. They pop open. To reinstall just press them point down on a firm surface and the center pops back, then thread the fastener through the cover and frame hole and press the center of the pin in again till it snaps. I hope I'm not just stating the obvious, but I did not know that! My 2010 with 65K had a completely dry and clean filter, but better safe than sorry. One less thing to worry about, and thanks again to you all.
Old 03-16-16, 04:40 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

After taking off the cover and reinstalling it multiple times with everything I have done to my GX I decided to leave it off. I don't see the purpose of it with the hood closed. It just makes the truck aesthetically pleasing with the hood open. Now that I have the external filter, I will cover the filter when I wash the engine compartment.

Good for you on the preventative maintenance SpokeBroke
Old 03-17-16, 09:41 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Yeah it's hard to tell, seems like it's purely a factor of how quickly the filter breaks down. Theoretically in the right climate the filter would last indefinitely and you'd never have a problem. Not everybody has it. It could be some sort of overpressure in the pump that pulls the filter in as well.

I wonder just how many people this has affected. When shopping I probably pulled records on a dozen trucks and I saw the air pump issue on at least 3 or 4.

Class action?
It's not "purely a factor of how quickly the filter breaks down". My bank one valve went out at 46k with a perfect filter sitting in the air pump.
Old 03-17-16, 09:49 PM
thequickad
Rookie

Awesome post! Always back to basics. Thanks for the laugh.

I never left my fuel gauge drop below half. It was a lesson learned from the great San Diego power failure several years ago when from cities from Mission Viejo to San Diego all lost electric power and those did not have enough gas in their tanks could not go anywhere since none of the gas stations were working.

My wife on the other hand always continues to drive after the low fuel warning light comes on and tells me there is still a few gallons in reserve. It's o.k. My Lexus is bigger than her Lexus.
Old 03-21-16, 07:41 PM
BA777
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got a 2016 GX460 Luxury. Just to be safe I ended up removing the OEM filter and added the after market one as suggested. Took me less than 30 minutes to do the modification. This will provide me with a piece of mind knowing that it will not fail on me years down the road.

Below are the pictures I look

The following users liked this post:
Philly01 (12-22-19)
Old 03-21-16, 08:06 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I am pretty surprised that this same foam filter is still being used on a 2016 model. I thought they redesigned the entire unit starting with MY2014...
Old 03-21-16, 08:17 PM
BA777
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah.. I was a little disappointed to see that they did not change the design, especially when they had six years to get it right for this current generation GX. Feel much better now that I have removed the foam filter and replace it with an external aftermarket one.
Old 03-22-16, 08:59 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest2
It's not "purely a factor of how quickly the filter breaks down". My bank one valve went out at 46k with a perfect filter sitting in the air pump.
So your valve went out without sucking the filter through?

Please tell us more on this. Thanks.
Old 05-13-16, 07:31 PM
psolov
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a service bulletin for this issue that extends the support for this repair to 5 yr/50k miles. I had the pump fail and one of the valves stuck as well on a 2010 GX460 with a little more than 5yr/50k. I spoke to the dealer on getting the repair comped but was not able to so I called Lexus directly and it took a few days but was able to get the parts covered which was 80% of the cost. Considering that they provided a loaner it worked out.

If anyone needs the SB I'll pull it up. Labor is only 2.3h for pump for the SB and they did cover the valve as well.
Old 05-16-16, 06:28 PM
raky
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys I have a 2012 GX460 with 54k miles. I just ordered the UNI filter and plan on doing this mod.

1. Has anyone had any issues since installing it?

2. Also, I am assuming that you guys just remove the OEM filter and cover the housing, is that correct?

3. I do not typically work on cars, for someone that usually has a dealer/mechanic do everything, is this something that most people should be able to handle themselves?

4. Lastly, do you have to take the housing out of the car to fit the filter or can it be done with it in the car?
Old 05-16-16, 07:43 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by raky
Hey guys I have a 2012 GX460 with 54k miles. I just ordered the UNI filter and plan on doing this mod.

1. Has anyone had any issues since installing it?

2. Also, I am assuming that you guys just remove the OEM filter and cover the housing, is that correct?

3. I do not typically work on cars, for someone that usually has a dealer/mechanic do everything, is this something that most people should be able to handle themselves?

4. Lastly, do you have to take the housing out of the car to fit the filter or can it be done with it in the car?
Yes, it's very easy to do and I've had no issues thus far. I feel much better knowing that the foam filter has been removed. There are lots of photos illustrations on this thread by others, including myself. Good Luck!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ictures-2.html
Old 05-16-16, 08:04 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

All is good here
Old 05-17-16, 01:54 AM
Kitana
Driver

Originally Posted by 11GX460
I am pretty surprised that this same foam filter is still being used on a 2016 model. I thought they redesigned the entire unit starting with MY2014...
Dang it. Looks like I'll have to do this afterall. I better pass this thread to my mechanic (aka my brother) so he can help me do this fun project. First I have to get past the engine armour without breaking anything. That is what stopped me from checking it a few months ago. Don't laugh. This stuff is new to me but I'm willing to learn because I love my GX.

Quick Reply: SAIP - Service Campaign (JLG) '10-'13 / Update: No mileage or year restrictions