GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

ISCjonny's 2015 GX460 Few Simple Upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 11:02 PM
ISCjonny
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ISCjonny's 2015 GX460 Few Simple Upgrades...

Picked up the 2015 GX460 Luxury w/ ML a few weeks ago. Just wanted to share a few simple upgrades i have already done.

Prestigious Society Nav/DVD Override Module. Installation was straight forward. Took less than 20 minutes to complete. Simple - , - , + , + volume combination to activate override.

Swapped out the halogen puddle lights to 15SMD Board LEDs (the standard 5SMD led bulb was not bright enough for me). This was a bit more tricky since the housing technically cannot plug and play the 15SMD LED Boards. Took a closer look and noticed the clear lens was hot melted into the black plastic backing. So i took a flat head screwdriver and carefully broke the hot melt all the way around and separated the 2 pieces. Surprisingly, the 15SMD board fit perfectly in the cutout. Due to the limited space between the LED board and the backing piece, the adapter plug for the 15SMD LED board could not be used. So i ended up tapping the 2 wires directly to the oem plug contacts.

Replaced the 6 dome lights using the 15SMD Board LEDs and the 4 door lens using 4SMD Flank LEDs.

Looking to get the windows tinted in the next week or two while i wait for a couple parts from Japan to arrive. Ordered TRD Real Carbon Fiber Pillar Overlays and JDM OEM Window Visors. Should be here in about a month. I'll give another update once those parts arrive and i install them.

Debating if i should change the wheels to the 2014 GX460 FSport Wheels and call it a day or save up for a legit aftermarket setup. What do you guys think?
Old 05-20-15, 12:11 AM
Flyingp
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Great work!
Old 05-20-15, 12:11 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Those puddle lights are BRIGHT.

What's the nav/dvd override? Is that something you can install so that you can interact with the nav system while the car is moving?
Old 05-20-15, 03:51 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Can you put more info such as links where you got the JDM parts and I have a few questions, why do the over ride if you have Enform?

Links to purchase the LED lights and bulbs? Any lights on the dash coming on?
Old 05-20-15, 07:20 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Originally Posted by ISCjonny
Picked up the 2015 GX460 Luxury w/ ML a few weeks ago. Just wanted to share a few simple upgrades i have already done.

Prestigious Society Nav/DVD Override Module. Installation was straight forward. Took less than 20 minutes to complete. Simple - , - , + , + volume combination to activate override.

Swapped out the halogen puddle lights to 15SMD Board LEDs (the standard 5SMD led bulb was not bright enough for me). This was a bit more tricky since the housing technically cannot plug and play the 15SMD LED Boards. Took a closer look and noticed the clear lens was hot melted into the black plastic backing. So i took a flat head screwdriver and carefully broke the hot melt all the way around and separated the 2 pieces. Surprisingly, the 15SMD board fit perfectly in the cutout. Due to the limited space between the LED board and the backing piece, the adapter plug for the 15SMD LED board could not be used. So i ended up tapping the 2 wires directly to the oem plug contacts.

Replaced the 6 dome lights using the 15SMD Board LEDs and the 4 door lens using 4SMD Flank LEDs.

Looking to get the windows tinted in the next week or two while i wait for a couple parts from Japan to arrive. Ordered TRD Real Carbon Fiber Pillar Overlays and JDM OEM Window Visors. Should be here in about a month. I'll give another update once those parts arrive and i install them.

Debating if i should change the wheels to the 2014 GX460 FSport Wheels and call it a day or save up for a legit aftermarket setup. What do you guys think?
18" GX460 F-Sport Rims are too small. I have 24" rims and they looked awesome.
In addition to the PS Navi/ Video bypass module, I installed an iVic 6DR infotainment system in my GX460 and it's exceedingly cooler than the factory interface.
Old 05-21-15, 05:09 AM
ISCjonny
Racer

Originally Posted by Jacket
Those puddle lights are BRIGHT.

What's the nav/dvd override? Is that something you can install so that you can interact with the nav system while the car is moving?
Yes, it's a module that overrides the "in motion" safety feature, so your "passenger" can safely enter in commands onto the navigation system. It also allows the video to been seen while the car is moving.

Originally Posted by vraa
Can you put more info such as links where you got the JDM parts and I have a few questions, why do the over ride if you have Enform?

Links to purchase the LED lights and bulbs? Any lights on the dash coming on?
My buddy at Loong Wah Motors in Hong Kong is sourcing the parts for me directly from Toyota/TRD Japan.

You can technically buy the parts on ebay, but the pricing is super inflated plus international shipping.

Google "Prado 150 TRD Carbon".

List price is 22,000 YEN (approx $182USD) but ebay is selling for $312 - $340.

JDM OEM Window Visors for Toyota Landcruiser Prado 150

As for why override if we have Enform? After the trial period, you have to pay a yearly subscription fee to use Enform Destination. And for the Enform App suite, you cannot access the keyboard or input any commands while the car is moving.

Few years ago, my buddy and I started a LED business, but we never really focused on it since we both had other full time jobs. So i ended up with a lot of overstock.

As for dash lights? I'm assuming your referring to CANBUS error messages for swapping out the bulbs to LEDs? NO dash lights. All the Lexus's i have installed on have never had any issue with LED bulb replacements. Only newer Euro's need CANBUS LEDs to avoid the dash errors. Hope that helps.
Old 05-22-15, 09:54 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

To each their own I guess, but that is WAY too bright for my taste.

Congrats on the new vehicle! It is great!
Old 05-23-15, 07:40 AM
rdouglas13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont get the ivic stuff because when ur moving you dont have wifi so whats point oh ivics anyway unless you download a movie or songs but I have a usb for that
Old 05-23-15, 04:10 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Originally Posted by rdouglas13
I dont get the ivic stuff because when ur moving you dont have wifi so whats point oh ivics anyway unless you download a movie or songs but I have a usb for that
The iVic accessed data directly from the mobile phone. You could connect Wi-Fi through your phone's personal hotspot or tethering. The advantage is I can watch movies or listen to music whenever/ wherever I wanted with the latest releases. I even connect an Apple TV to the iVic audio/ video input to use with my iPhone. iVic allowed mirroring to the Lexus Navi screen and with an Android phone the screen is essentially a touch control screen. I can check my e-mails, surf the Internet, use Google Maps for navigation (satellite 3D view), and watch YouTube videos unlike the Lexus factory interface or Navi Maps.
Old 05-24-15, 10:20 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by GX460PREM
The iVic accessed data directly from the mobile phone. You could connect Wi-Fi through your phone's personal hotspot or tethering. The advantage is I can watch movies or listen to music whenever/ wherever I wanted with the latest releases. I even connect an Apple TV to the iVic audio/ video input to use with my iPhone. iVic allowed mirroring to the Lexus Navi screen and with an Android phone the screen is essentially a touch control screen. I can check my e-mails, surf the Internet, use Google Maps for navigation (satellite 3D view), and watch YouTube videos unlike the Lexus factory interface or Navi Maps.
This sounds VERY cool, do you have any pics showing operation, I'm not sure if I fully understand
Old 05-24-15, 10:21 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Originally Posted by ISCjonny
Yes, it's a module that overrides the "in motion" safety feature, so your "passenger" can safely enter in commands onto the navigation system. It also allows the video to been seen while the car is moving.

My buddy at Loong Wah Motors in Hong Kong is sourcing the parts for me directly from Toyota/TRD Japan.

You can technically buy the parts on ebay, but the pricing is super inflated plus international shipping.

Google "Prado 150 TRD Carbon".

List price is 22,000 YEN (approx $182USD) but ebay is selling for $312 - $340.

JDM OEM Window Visors for Toyota Landcruiser Prado 150

As for why override if we have Enform? After the trial period, you have to pay a yearly subscription fee to use Enform Destination. And for the Enform App suite, you cannot access the keyboard or input any commands while the car is moving.

Few years ago, my buddy and I started a LED business, but we never really focused on it since we both had other full time jobs. So i ended up with a lot of overstock.

As for dash lights? I'm assuming your referring to CANBUS error messages for swapping out the bulbs to LEDs? NO dash lights. All the Lexus's i have installed on have never had any issue with LED bulb replacements. Only newer Euro's need CANBUS LEDs to avoid the dash errors. Hope that helps.
Are you selling a package set of the LEDs for a full GX replcaement?

Can you PM me your friends contact info? I'd like to replicate your ideas
Old 05-25-15, 02:52 AM
rdouglas13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ivic

Originally Posted by GX460PREM
So I'd need a personal hotspot now with unlimited data to do half of what is described all while im driving 75 on the highway ? Have an iphone for all that. Great upgrade but pointless.
Old 05-25-15, 02:55 PM
ISCjonny
Racer

Or you can use the car's built in AUX AV input to stream directly from your phone/ipad/tablet.

All you need is a 4-pole 3.5mm AV to RCA cable (also known as a camcorder cable).
HDMI to AV Converter
Lightning to HDMI (for iphones) or MiniUSB to HDMI (andriods).

But in order to see the videos while in motion, the nav/dvd override module is still needed.
Old 05-26-15, 06:07 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by rdouglas13
So I'd need a personal hotspot now with unlimited data to do half of what is described all while im driving 75 on the highway ? Have an iphone for all that. Great upgrade but pointless.
This is essentially my thoughts during that stupid Buick commercial about it having wifi.
Old 06-01-15, 11:50 AM
Pangoo
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where did you get the nav override module ? It's such a pain when my passenger can't enter an address while driving.

Quick Reply: ISCjonny's 2015 GX460 Few Simple Upgrades...