GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 04:23 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KHawser
Do you see any difference in dust production with these vs. OEM?
According to EBC and some of the blogs that I read, it's supposed to be dustier than OEM. However, because I do not drive often, I haven't noticed much of a difference. The silver OEM wheels are still silver, albeit a little dirtier, I guess...

I am not concerned since they work very well and the wheels are not disgustingly dirty, if you know what I mean.
Old 06-10-15, 10:56 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 11GX460
After giving some thoughts since last summer when I upgraded my front rotors and pads, I now have EBC Rotors and their Yellow Stuff pads on all four corners. So far, so good. I am still going through the bedding in period. Here are some pictures of the old and new.

The new EBC rotors. The ones on the left are the rear rotors and the ones on the right are the front rotors.

backside of EBC rotors

Rear right rotor.

Close-up of rear right rotor.

Rear and front yellow stuff pads.

Close-up of the front pads with 2 slits.

Rears pads

Front pads

The black coating eventually comes off after a few stops. But those first few stops are extremely annoying.

EBC right front rotor

old front ceramic pads. As you can see, they only have 1 slit.

thickness of old front ceramic pads.

Old rotors. Still in very good condition. Only have about 6k miles on them. I am keeping them, just in case.

backside of old front rotors

Close-up of old front rotor

Old rear pads. Another reason why you should check them.

Which retailer/ website did you purchased the EBC Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads from?
Do you have part #s for them? What color does the rotors turned into once the black coating disappeared- gold or silver?

I heard the rotors (similar to your old ones) with the drilled holes are more likely to crack-- any truth to this?
Old 06-11-15, 05:55 PM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GX460PREM
Which retailer/ website did you purchased the EBC Rotors & Yellow Stuff Pads from?
Do you have part #s for them? What color does the rotors turned into once the black coating disappeared- gold or silver?

I heard the rotors (similar to your old ones) with the drilled holes are more likely to crack-- any truth to this?
I bought my rotors and pads from ebcrotors.com. If you select the year, make, and model of your vehicle, they will present you with what is available; it's easy and you know you're getting genuine ebc rotors and pads.

The black coating comes off after a few stops, but you will question if they were installed correctly because those few stops are very annoying and make a grinding type sound. The rotors are silver afterwards and they work flawlessly after proper bedding.

I've never had drilled rotors, even my old rotors were dimpled. Dimpled rotors are less prone to cracking. I have heard that drilled and slotted rotors are more prone to cracking, but EBC does not make drilled rotors, only dimpled, so you should be good.

And the best part, their website takes Paypal.
Old 06-26-15, 09:21 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Originally Posted by 11GX460
I bought my rotors and pads from ebcrotors.com. If you select the year, make, and model of your vehicle, they will present you with what is available; it's easy and you know you're getting genuine ebc rotors and pads.

The black coating comes off after a few stops, but you will question if they were installed correctly because those few stops are very annoying and make a grinding type sound. The rotors are silver afterwards and they work flawlessly after proper bedding.

I've never had drilled rotors, even my old rotors were dimpled. Dimpled rotors are less prone to cracking. I have heard that drilled and slotted rotors are more prone to cracking, but EBC does not make drilled rotors, only dimpled, so you should be good.

And the best part, their website takes Paypal.
Already ordered the front & rear EBC Yellowstuff brake pads. Just waiting for the EBC sport rotors to be re-stocked...

How do you like the EBC pads and rotors so far? Any issues or concerns?
Old 06-27-15, 06:53 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Already ordered the front & rear EBC Yellowstuff brake pads. Just waiting for the EBC sport rotors to be re-stocked...

How do you like the EBC pads and rotors so far? Any issues or concerns?
Nice... Looks like you and I will have the same break setup. I have no issues with it thus far. I love knowing that it's way more capable than what I use it for. Again, just keep in mind about the first few stops after the installation, aka the break-in coating. And follow EBC's instruction on the bedding-in period.
Old 04-28-16, 02:10 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

I'll be installing the EBC Sport slotted rotors & pads for all 4 wheels this week. Any complications with removing the stock rotors & pads? Is the yellow colored pads visible from the outside since they will be installed on 24" rims?
What spray paint do you suggest to coat the calipers?
Old 04-28-16, 05:21 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but I was not here then. One comment above says they if they are good enough for the track....

That can be a bad thing. Most track pads are designed to work best when heated up, which is not usually the case in street use.
Old 04-28-16, 06:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

^^ Perhaps the composites are different for a SUV vs street car from the manufacturer?
Old 04-28-16, 07:37 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I realize this is an old thread, but I was not here then. One comment above says they if they are good enough for the track....

That can be a bad thing. Most track pads are designed to work best when heated up, which is not usually the case in street use.

More accurate product description...

Old 04-29-16, 01:43 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the information. My comment was meant to be general about racing pads. But your additional info is valuable to the forum. Thanks,
Old 05-01-16, 08:32 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

I'll be installing the EBC Sport slotted rotors & pads for all 4 wheels this week. Any complications with removing the stock rotors & pads? Is the yellow colored pads visible from the outside since they will be installed on 24" rims?
What spray paint do you suggest to coat the calipers?
Wow. I can't believe it's been almost a year since I've installed them. Thus far, no issues. I am still very happy with them. The rims do get dirtier than normal, but I knew that prior to buying these. Stopping power is still very sure and confident. Looks like I will be getting this combo again when I need to replace these -even though they are a little more expensive.

There were no issues removing the stock rotors and pads, very straight forward if you know what you are doing. These are old-school systems, unlike those on electric or hybrid vehicles. The yellow colored pads are slightly visible from the outside, if you look for them. Depending on the style of your 24" rims, they may or may not be visible. And, I cannot comment on the type of spray for the calipers since I do not have any experience in that field. Good luck.

Last edited by 11GX460; 05-01-16 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-01-16, 09:11 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Didnt know they made yellow stuff for trucks. Now I know Anyone know of any stainless steel brake line upgrades. Combo that with Yellowstuff, and your brakes can stop a freight train
Old 05-03-16, 10:46 AM
TheMick
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Disc Brake Rotor Upgrades

I have a 2010 GX, and have been living with a warped brake rotor for a month or so now. I will be replacing the brakes (pads and rotors) and am contemplating an upgrade. I was looking at the Hawk Performance Sector 27 rotors with their LTS pads (for front and rear).
Is anyone running this setup?

Alternatively, what other aftermarket rotor and pad combos have been run with overall satisfaction in improved braking response & feel (with comments on how the new brakes are wearing)?

I did see the post on EBC rotors and Yellow Stuff pads - good data point.

Thanks...

Last edited by TheMick; 05-03-16 at 11:01 AM. Reason: saw the EBC post
Old 05-03-16, 07:06 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

The EBC rotors and pads are probably the most expensive on the market. I prefer to equip my GX460 with the
best products. The rotors design is unique and you can select from the YellowStuff or GreenStuff pads and best of all, they are both manufactured in England.

Are you planning on replacing all 4 rotors & pads? Personally, I don't like the Hawk rotors because they are hole drilled which are likely to crack and their rotors design is similar to the majority of the inexpensive ones on the market.

Let me know how you are going to proceed?
Old 05-03-16, 07:36 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

For 11GX460...
On your rear pads, did EBC included the metal black shims or did you use the OEM shims.

My kit didn't have them. When I contacted EBC, they said they don't make the shims
and send me 4 3M adhesive shims which I have to cut/ trim to prevent brake noise.
Anyway, I still prefer the metal black shims like yours and probably will use the stock shims.

Quick Reply: Rotors