GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates

Old 05-11-15, 03:40 PM
jblackfish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by midwest2
Have you checked the internal settings? Your ETA may be way off because the settings might say you plan to drive 50mph on the interstate. Also, I have found that my Garmin can be very very stubborn with calculating a new route as well. It has tried to turn me around and put me back on the interstate for many many miles before accepting a secondary road. Again, this might be caused by internal settings.
I don't know how to check my internal settings. In fact, I didn't know I had internal settings. Any help?
Old 05-11-15, 03:45 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jblackfish
I don't know how to check my internal settings. In fact, I didn't know I had internal settings. Any help?

I read about them while skimming the very large navigation manual that's in the owner's manual jacket.
Old 05-11-15, 03:56 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

LOL, I already took the pic for my reply.

- Setup (hard button)
- Navi.
- Detailed Navi Settings
- Driving Speeds
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (09-05-19)
Old 05-11-15, 03:57 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Go to Menu/Nav/Advanced Nav(at the bottom of the screen) and then Driving Speeds. The default
Highway speed is 55..."I can't drive 55!!". Change it up, Max is 75, and the ETA's will be more inline
with your reality.
Next tweek is only available with a destination in place (to anywhere), tap open the
"Route" button at the lower center of the map and open up "Preferences" Be sure that Highways and
Tollways have the small yellow icon lit. If not she will always try to run you off the main roads! BTW if
you do not see the Route Button, go to the left and tap the "On" button...your Nav Tools were turned off.
Nav Tools "Off" seems like a way to quiet the Nav Voice (it isn't) but turns off the Zoom in/out and Mark
controls.
Old 05-11-15, 04:45 PM
jblackfish
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips. I've got my highway speed changed from 55 to 70. I'll check the route/preferences setting as soon as I set my next route. I guess I should resolve to spend more time with the manuals next time. They're so thick I was overcome with the size of the car manual - I don't think I ever opened the one with the navigation info in it.

Having to set your estimated speeds simply points out the fact that Lexus' GPS logic is WAY behind in its use of technology. Garmin, for example, uses you actual speed as you drive to calculate your ETA and has been doing that for years. I think many other do that as well.

Last edited by jblackfish; 05-12-15 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-11-15, 05:52 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I use my navigation system several times on a workday and have found similar routing characteristics with my Acura.

I can set a location from my home and then press the go home button when leaving the destination and the route will change.

Both systems will take me off of the main road and then route me back on the main road that was the best choice to begin with.

Drivers beside me are probably laughing at me as I'm yelling at my dash.

"What the Fuak you Beatch how did you determine that is the best route. Can't you see the direct path?"

Last edited by tecman; 05-11-15 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-12-15, 10:27 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

Use your smart phone. It will do everything the OEM and old garmin unit will do but better. I have factory GPS and like having the map up for regular driving, but navigation is done via smart phone with real time traffic etc.
Old 05-12-15, 10:39 AM
jblackfish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnJerk
Use your smart phone. It will do everything the OEM and old garmin unit will do but better. I have factory GPS and like having the map up for regular driving, but navigation is done via smart phone with real time traffic etc.
I agree that my smart phone's GPS is a superior product too and I do use it occasionally but not while driving. Doing that is the equivalent of texting while driving for me....and I don't want it stuck to my windshield either - it's fine in my pocket. I can talk on it hands free while driving and that's the way I use it in the car.
Old 05-12-15, 02:57 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jblackfish
Thanks for the tips. I've got my highway speed changed from 55 to 70. I'll check the route/preferences setting as soon as I set my next route. I guess I should resolve to spend more time with the manuals next time. They're so thick I was overcome with the size of the car manual - I don't think I ever opened the one with the navigation info in it.

Having to set your estimated speeds simply points out the fact that Lexus' GPS logic is WAY behind in its use of technology. Garmin, for example, uses you actual speed as you drive to calculate your ETA and has been doing that for years. I think many other do that as well.
Ummmm, hate to correct you but you are wrong again. Garmin will calculate an eta in my
Driveway before I start driving---via internal settings. It will then make adjustments as you drive, exactly as the Lexus system does.
Old 05-12-15, 03:16 PM
jblackfish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by midwest2
Ummmm, hate to correct you but you are wrong again. Garmin will calculate an eta in my
Driveway before I start driving---via internal settings. It will then make adjustments as you drive, exactly as the Lexus system does.
Yes, Garmin does make that initial estimate but the adjustments are based on your actual driving speed. The Lexus GPS estimate is as stagnant, from start to finish, as a pond scum. (The only adjustments are of the "count;down" type and are totally based on the original estimate.)

Last edited by jblackfish; 05-13-15 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-13-15, 09:17 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Default Touch screen digitizer plastic film guard

The plastic film that protects the touch screen digitizer on my GX460 nav system is damaged. Is there a way to fix it without having to replace the touch screen digitizer? The navigation works fine, I thought originally that it was the LCD display but after disassembling the unit and comparing the parts I noticed that the damaged was on the digitizer, which is in front of the LCD display. I believe it's glued to the display. I wonder if you could peel off the film that protects the glass and just replace the film not the digitizer.
Old 07-22-15, 02:12 PM
SUVISME
Driver School Candidate

I don't have speed settings after tapping on detailed navi. Help.
Attached Thumbnails 2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates-image.jpg  
Old 07-22-15, 03:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SUVISME
I don't have speed settings after tapping on detailed navi. Help.
Hmm, I looked at the manual for your 2014 or 2015 and I don't see this option. It looks like your ETA is based on the local jurisdiction speed limit.

When the vehicle is on the guidance route, the distance measured along the route is displayed. Travel time and arrival time are calculated based on the average speed for the specified speed limit.

Last edited by tecman; 07-22-15 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 04:26 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Default settings.

Max settings
Old 07-23-15, 07:37 AM
SUVISME
Driver School Candidate

Default speeds

Interesting that Lexus seems to think that using posted speed limits is a more accurate measure that the user entering speed limits themselves. Since they had already written that code, curious that they deleted it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010-2013 OEM Radio, Stereo, Navigation Problems, Questions, Updates