GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lexus safety connect

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 05:54 PM
jaleels
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lexus safety connect

I renewed my subscription to the safety connect service this morning and I canceled it this afternoon. After getting some more information from the representatives they told me that it could take 24 to 48 hours before my vehicle is found.

I have known for a while that we would have to get a police report before Lexus safety connect would start looking for the vehicle. Once they have found the vehicle they will notify the police department of the vehicles location and they will not notify the owner until the police contacts me. Then they said that the police department would notify me when they have discovered the vehicle.

In my state a vehicle could be in another country within 24 to 48 hours. Their safety connect service is lacking a lot of sensible features. I'd rather go with an aftermarket product to locate my vehicle with real-time monitoring of the vehicle's functions and driving history.
Old 05-06-15, 02:06 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I have a security system business and only purchased this because I want all of the options that Honeywell Total Connect offers.
http://www.homesecurity.honeywell.com/

I can track in real time, set notifications for speeds and set notifications if the truck leaves a set geo-fence.
http://www.honeywellnow.com/2014/10/...nect-services/

The GPS tracker is a newer addition for Honeywell Total Connect and I was frustrated with the lack of knowledge from tech support when I put this in around 6 months ago.

I started with the TCAT-EB (stand-alone with a rechargeable battery), but the features were limited due to relying on battery life. I originally chose this model because I wanted to hide it in the truck. The OBD2 connection would be an obvious place for someone to pull any connected devices out. I currently have a splitter for the TCVT2 GPS tracker along with a Wi-Fi module for the Carista app.

My route yesterday (red is turning off the truck and green is starting it)...

Old 05-06-15, 02:15 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a quick note: OBD systems are not designed to work with multiple "tools" at the same time, so OBD splitters are generally a bad idea. So if your tracker is connected via a splitter, I definitely recommend turning it off while using Carista. Running them simultaneously would most likely slow down Carista and it may even cause it to fail in some cases. Just FYI.