GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GS350 planning to swith to GX460 any advise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 07:10 AM
janmy7
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 planning to swith to GX460 any advise?

Hi, I currently have a 08 GS350 and thinking to get a bigger family suv like GX460. However, I was told that GX 460 has V8 with 4.6L. and it drinks lots of gas. I drive 40mile to work on weekday. I want to know how many mile per gallon on the GX460?
My GS350 has 20 mpg on NYC highway and around 16 mpg at local.
it's around 13 gallon almost to empty tank.
Can you pls share your driving experience with the GX460?
Old 02-11-15, 08:00 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You'll likely get about 14-16mpg with GX. I made the switch you are contemplating. You also have to take into consideration that the gas tank is bigger in the GX. My GS was only getting 15-16mpg, so I'm actually getting more mileage out of each fill-up on the GX.

I love the GX. It's much higher. It is a true "truck/SUV"...none of this crossover BS (RX). Also, the ride in my GS wasn't the best, but that has a lot to do with wheels/tires and suspension. The GX has the big fat tires and you can control the "comfort" level of the suspension. It rides better than the GS.

I did a lease and am eagerly awaiting pricing information on the GS-F.
Old 02-11-15, 08:21 AM
janmy7
Rookie

Originally Posted by jtrue28
You'll likely get about 14-16mpg with GX. I made the switch you are contemplating. You also have to take into consideration that the gas tank is bigger in the GX. My GS was only getting 15-16mpg, so I'm actually getting more mileage out of each fill-up on the GX.

I love the GX. It's much higher. It is a true "truck/SUV"...none of this crossover BS (RX). Also, the ride in my GS wasn't the best, but that has a lot to do with wheels/tires and suspension. The GX has the big fat tires and you can control the "comfort" level of the suspension. It rides better than the GS.

I did a lease and am eagerly awaiting pricing information on the GS-F.
How much the trade value do you think I can get from the dealer for my 08 GS350 w/ML. and it's 87k miles now.
Old 02-11-15, 09:32 AM
redbrick
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woah......and here I thought my GX had bad mpg, but dang...compared to your GS....I feel much better. I always thought sedans had better mpg than suv's.....but I guess vintage has a lot to do with it too.
Old 02-11-15, 09:59 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

99.8% all stop and go traffic. Hardly ever got to take it on a cruise, but when I did, I hopped on it because it was so rare. And as I type that, it makes me realize how stupid getting the GS-F would be...

KBB.com says to expect about $15.5K...so subtract another 2-3k if trading to a dealer, as they will NEVER give you what KBB says it is worth. Also try selling it to CarMax.

My assumptions were AWD, "Good" condition, with spoiler, ML, parking sensors, backup camera and navigation.
Old 02-23-15, 04:13 PM
KULEGOS
Driver School Candidate

I also live in NYC and my average is bet 15-17mpg and about 24-25mpg on highway . I have my truck
little over a year , just past 10k miles and I love it, my previous 2 cars was bmw's X5
Old 02-27-15, 09:02 AM
janmy7
Rookie

Originally Posted by KULEGOS
I also live in NYC and my average is bet 15-17mpg and about 24-25mpg on highway . I have my truck
little over a year , just past 10k miles and I love it, my previous 2 cars was bmw's X5
24-25 on highway is not bad. It seems better than the GS350 which equip with V6 3.5L
Old 02-27-15, 11:42 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by janmy7
24-25 on highway is not bad. It seems better than the GS350 which equip with V6 3.5L
BE CAREFUL here. You will NOT get 24-25 mpg on hiway with the GX (unless you are going down hill at 60 mph).

I just did a 2000 miles trip and cruising at 70 mph I can get about 21 mpg, at 80 mph the mpg drops to about 18 mpg....stop and go - forgetaboutit.
Old 02-27-15, 01:09 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The highest I have seen on all highway, doing 70-75 MPH on cruise was 21-22 MPG. That's filling up, getting on the highway and then stopping to fill up on the same trip, no stops.
Old 03-01-15, 05:46 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

23 mpg on highway doing 70 mph with no hills best ive got
Old 03-01-15, 12:20 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi everyone -

I'm in the same boat. '08 GS350 with 67K miles, fully loaded except for adaptive cruise control. I think it was an executive lease before I bought it (which was with 35K miles 4.5 yrs ago).

I'd love to get into a GX 460 but I'm on the boat between leasing and owning. My wife just leased an RX350 FSport so I feel like we should own at least one of the vehicles.

Would you guys consider a 2011/12 GX 460 (hopefully for around 40K or less with, fingers crossed, no more than 50K miles) or just lease a new one? As you can see, I don't put too many miles on per year but that's probably b/c we don't take the GS often - typically take the RX.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
Old 03-01-15, 06:52 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GX350 switching to GX460

Moving from a sedan to a true SUV full time 4 wheel drive is a major difference in all departments. However, the GX is a great vehicle with a great ride and many options. However, if you lease instead of buying, it will cost you more money in the long haul. You just about never come out ahead financially when leasing, unless it is used for business and can be a business expense. First of all you can not drive as hard a bargain on a lease, you generally have to pay an acquisition fee (pure profit for Lexus) and sometimes a security fee. At the end of the lease you are out of a vehicle on a specific date and have no value in the car and you must start all over (buy or lease) with another one, and this time you will have no trade in to help fund the new one. My personal opinion is if you cannot spend the money to buy the vehicle drop down to a lower priced vehicle and purchase out right. I also will take a hit for my next comment, but I will state it anyway. If you cannot buy a Luxury vehicle and pay cash for it, then maybe people should drop a level or two to something they can pay for in cash . Financing/leasing is just giving your money to someone else for no good reason.
Old 03-01-15, 10:39 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
Moving from a sedan to a true SUV full time 4 wheel drive is a major difference in all departments. However, the GX is a great vehicle with a great ride and many options. However, if you lease instead of buying, it will cost you more money in the long haul. You just about never come out ahead financially when leasing, unless it is used for business and can be a business expense. First of all you can not drive as hard a bargain on a lease, you generally have to pay an acquisition fee (pure profit for Lexus) and sometimes a security fee. At the end of the lease you are out of a vehicle on a specific date and have no value in the car and you must start all over (buy or lease) with another one, and this time you will have no trade in to help fund the new one. My personal opinion is if you cannot spend the money to buy the vehicle drop down to a lower priced vehicle and purchase out right. I also will take a hit for my next comment, but I will state it anyway. If you cannot buy a Luxury vehicle and pay cash for it, then maybe people should drop a level or two to something they can pay for in cash . Financing/leasing is just giving your money to someone else for no good reason.
Thanks Valley101 for the feedback. All very good points that I hadn't fully considered, particularly around the reduced negotiating room and acquisition/security fees. And, as you stated, having no value at the end of the lease leaves you with nothing to help with financing the next vehicle.

I'm sure you will get some hits on your last comment about buying outright but I totally get your point. Ultimately it's your potential rate of return for holding on to that capital (or a portion) against a fixed interest rate...hopefully the rate of return is higher than the interest rate. Not to mention if something happens to the vehicle in the first year of owning it you're highly likely to not get fully compensation from your insurance company - at least you're not out the full cost. All things to consider.
Old 03-04-15, 11:38 AM
janmy7
Rookie

Originally Posted by daman7676
Hi everyone -

I'm in the same boat. '08 GS350 with 67K miles, fully loaded except for adaptive cruise control. I think it was an executive lease before I bought it (which was with 35K miles 4.5 yrs ago).

I'd love to get into a GX 460 but I'm on the boat between leasing and owning. My wife just leased an RX350 FSport so I feel like we should own at least one of the vehicles.

Would you guys consider a 2011/12 GX 460 (hopefully for around 40K or less with, fingers crossed, no more than 50K miles) or just lease a new one? As you can see, I don't put too many miles on per year but that's probably b/c we don't take the GS often - typically take the RX.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.
lol, I got mine 4.5 yrs ago too. And Since there are lots of snow in NY area lately. Plus there are lots of issues with the 3rd GS as you noted. It push me thinking to switch to the GX as a family car. But I drive alot for work everyday. That's why I will think about the fuel economy 1st
Old 03-04-15, 01:08 PM
redbrick
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Valley101
...I. used to think that way about buying cars... but nowadays I get more letting it sit with my folks...the interest alone pays for the cost of money many many times over