GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Seat Comfort - Questions, Problems, Options

Old 11-18-15, 05:57 PM
Climber
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We bought a 2012 beginning of this year (17k miles) and have the same problem. Lumbar is pushing too hard in the back. I'm 6' 180lbs and my wife is 5' 120 lbs. But we both have the same problem. Compared to that our Element has very comfortable seats.
Was hoping someone would have found a solution by now. I guess it's time to tear the backrest apart to see if I can mod it.
Old 11-18-15, 07:47 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 GX seat problem

Since all of us have genetic differences maybe some people's backs are formed differently and auto makers try to come up with a happy medium. Over the years we have had a GS, SC and presently have LS and GX 460. We have not experienced any back difficulty. One trip was from the West Coast to the East Coast and a few trips from DE to FL.
Old 11-18-15, 08:13 PM
skidder
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I have the same issue with my 2014 GX - uncomfortable seats. I will have had it 2 years in January (purchased new in January 2014). Same as other commentary - even with the lumbar fully retracted there is a 'ridge' that digs into my back. I constantly increase or decrease the lumbar to try and make it comfortable - no dice. On top of that, there isn't enough very low back support and my back kills me in this car.

I have avoided driving this vehicle and drive my others (just started driving it again because winter has arrived and the convertible is parked for the winter). At least the uncomfortable seat kept the miles low 4,500 in 2 years... The dealer made the suggestion of a pillow - I'm trying a few before I give up and trade it in.
Old 11-21-15, 11:15 AM
dadc4s
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is really interesting. Clearly, there are some folks who can’t get comfortable in the seats of the GX models. Fortunately, I have been very comfortable with two 4 hour drives since buying my car 7 weeks ago and no problems. I guess the take home message is do an extended test drive before you buy any car and make sure you are comfortable in the seat.
Old 11-21-15, 02:47 PM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me quite a bit of fiddling with the seat to get it comfy, but I finally did.

Made a 2500 mile trip a few weeks ago, 12 hours in the car each day and it was a-ok.

I don't think this seat is quite a comfy as the one in my old 470 though...
Old 11-23-15, 05:50 PM
Climber
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
Since all of us have genetic differences maybe some people's backs are formed differently and auto makers try to come up with a happy medium. Over the years we have had a GS, SC and presently have LS and GX 460. We have not experienced any back difficulty. One trip was from the West Coast to the East Coast and a few trips from DE to FL.
For non-adjustable features you're right, they'll have to find a happy medium. But in this case all it takes is being able to reduce the lumbar further. That does not take away any comfort from people who like to have it where it is.
Also it is fairly hard, if it were softer, it would be easier to deal with.
My wife and I have very different but very standard builds and judging by the comfort we experience in the Element with simple but flatter seats, we're not asking for some extreme shape. On the contrary.
Old 11-24-15, 01:15 PM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

does the lux have softer seats or is it just the leather being dyed all the way through the only difference?
Old 11-24-15, 02:38 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default umcomfortable 2014 GX seats

I have the Luxury 2015 GX and I have a 2012 LS460. Cannot be sure, but I think the leather in the seats of the GX feels softer than the 2012 LS. They are not as comfortable though, and do not provide as much leg support.
Old 08-11-17, 06:22 AM
Asimzmn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i am very happy with my GX 460 over all, but after taking 2 road trips (NJ-DC_NJ) and (NJ-Toronto-NJ) and i got to say the seats are not comfortable at all. I had Chrysler 300 before and the comfort beats Lexus my miles. Over All GX is a great SUV but idk why lexus will not put good quality seats?

Germans and Japanese make great cars but in comfort they lag behind Americans.
Old 10-26-17, 05:43 PM
bdn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Gx460 Premium seats are horrible

Just venting, I just bought a 2017 GX460 Premium 1 1/2 mo ago and I really hate it. I only test drove it for less than 15 mins at the dealer but now I can't stand driving it after the purchase. The seats are so uncomfortable that my legs and butt hurts driving it less than an hour. I just reduced the air pressure in the tires from 34 psi to 31 psi. The car is so bouncy too. The seats are so firm and the ride is so stiff. I know it's a truck base, but again it is so unpleasant, I avoid driving this car. I should have bought the luxury model or even should have bought a 2017 Honda Pilot Elite. The Honda is just so much more practical. I also just sold back my 2017 Lexus LX570 just because the 8 speed transmission on these are somewhat clunky. The 6 speed transmission on the GX460 is very smooth. I also have a 2006 Honda Odyssey that is very smooth and comfortable. After driving straight for 6 hours, I don't feel any pain at all.

I've owned over 30 cars and this is the first car that is so bad. The seats are pretty cheap with very little cushion or support. After driving for 25 mins, my daughter sitting in the third row, also complained of aches. The car, on the outside does look good, but now, I'd rather have a comfortable and practical car.

Last edited by bdn; 10-26-17 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-27-17, 06:10 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

I stared this post 3+ years ago.
during first 10k miles of driving the driver seat do feel uncomfortable with the lumbar support digging into the middle of your back.
at that time i took the GX back to the Lexus dealer, called Lexus USA, finally put a tiny pillow on the driver seat for comfort.
after that somehow the driver seat "softened" and now it feels pretty good. I can drive it for 6 hours without complaints now.
after 3 years and 35k miles the GX460 still feels tight like new. really like the GX.
Old 10-27-17, 06:51 AM
Greysmoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Reading over this thread, it's clear this is a highly subjective topic. It reminds me of Apple's standard ear buds. Some people love 'em. I hate the damn things. They won't stay in my ears for more than three seconds no matter what I do. I've even studied YouTube videos for the best way of wearing them. FWIW, my '14 GX460 Luxury has the most comfortable seats I've ever experienced, hands down.
Old 10-27-17, 09:15 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

I just took a 10hrs round trip a few days ago with the non-stop 5hrs straight on the return trip and I agree that the GX seat is the most comfortable I’ve sat on too. I thought the Odyssey seats were nice the GX beats it. No legs cramps, back strains, no need to stop every hour to stretch.

Originally Posted by Greysmoke
Reading over this thread, it's clear this is a highly subjective topic. It reminds me of Apple's standard ear buds. Some people love 'em. I hate the damn things. They won't stay in my ears for more than three seconds no matter what I do. I've even studied YouTube videos for the best way of wearing them. FWIW, my '14 GX460 Luxury has the most comfortable seats I've ever experienced, hands down.
Old 10-27-17, 06:23 PM
LionZoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm one of those that find the ridge in the lumbar to be very uncomfortable. However, if you push on the ridge and sort of massage the lumbar support, that ridge goes away, at least in the lowest lumbar setting. After doing that, I find the seat to be world's better.

The ridge does eventually come back, so it's probably something in the design of the cushion, but that usually takes a few days and massaging the seat again eliminates it.
Old 10-28-17, 06:20 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

First world problems... the leather recliner in my $60+K, V8, luxury SUV is too "uncomfortable" . I'm gonna go and grab a box of Kleenex now!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, but seriously?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat Comfort - Questions, Problems, Options