GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

AC Refresher Kit - evaporator drain plug location?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-15, 01:59 AM
Erikjohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Post AC Refresher Kit - evaporator drain plug location?

Hello, recently picked up a 2011 GX 460, premium, black exterior, sepia interior. New to the forum and love the truck!

Question: Can someone please show(photo)/tell me where exactly the evaporator drain plug is located for my truck?

Explantation of why I'm asking....

I searched the GX 2nd gen forum for my question but no luck finding a thread.

When I start the AC there is a noticeable musty smell from the vents that goes away after a few minutes. A fellow lexus owner friend told me I needed to purchase the Toyota AC Refresher kit which will clean out the musty smell. I bought the kit from Lexus Sewell and found a YouTube video highlighting how to use the kit.

Step 1 is to use a can of foam to clean the AC evaporator coils. To do this one must connect the can to the evaporator drain plug. The video states to find the evaporater drain plug to run your AC for a while and look for the condensation dripping out of the plug and that is where you plug in. However for me the weather has not been warm enough yet this year to allow for the condensation to occur.

Any of you know where to find this evaporator drain plug, a photo would be much appreciated.
Old 02-01-15, 10:05 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Erikjohn

Any of you know where to find this evaporator drain plug, a photo would be much appreciated.
From what I can gather, the drain has a flat rubber cover maybe the size of a quarter. You have to get something that has a hook on the end to pull the cover off. Let us know how it goes.

~ Cap
Old 02-03-15, 02:02 PM
Erikjohn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Cap for the reply, any idea where this is located under the hood?
Old 02-05-15, 12:14 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Erikjohn.....

Is this the video you saw ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...UhBUxa904#t=11

~ Cap
Old 02-06-15, 10:28 AM
Erikjohn
Driver School Candidate

Hi Cap!
You're correct, that's the video I used to see how the kit works, for it comes with minimal instruction on the cans.
Old 04-01-15, 12:33 PM
davemarche
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you find an answer? I bought a 2012 with a similar problem. Followed youtube instructions of spraying lysol in intakes and it helped some. Also, did an 8 road trip with no AC and the smell stopped for a while, but came back.

Here is the lexus service bulletin on it. I'd do the full service myself if I knew where the drain plug was

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/TSb/...dPdf?id=181291
Old 04-01-15, 10:54 PM
Erikjohn
Driver School Candidate

Hi Dave, still haven't located the drain plug, I ended up going a slighlty different route and upgraded to the charcoal cabin filter, that has helped a fair amount but still on occasion I smell the musty odor on startup with the A/C on. The weather is getting nicer where I live so hopefully soon will have some condensation from the drain on the garage floor to help located the drain plug.
Old 04-02-15, 12:05 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

The drain is likely going to be on the passenger side of the vehicle, close to the firewall, inside the frame. The trick about using condensation to find it is pretty handy, otherwise it'll be a bit tricky, especially if you don't have a lift and are crawling around on your back.

Admittedly I haven't crawled under there myself on my GX, but this is usually where they drain out for the front AC unit.