GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Are we ready for the 2016 GX460?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-15, 10:10 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacket
I generally agree with you Bam, and it will be interesting to see if Toyota caves to the US market pressures, or if they hold steady to the world platforms that are their legacy. Here's a possibility for Toyota to morph their SUV lineup (excluding the smaller platforms):

Toyota 4Runner - BOF mid-size utility
Lexus GX - BOF mid-size luxury SUV (I love the Prado platform and it's a significant seller worldwide so I say it stays, but maybe joins the 70 series LC as unobtanium in the US)

Toyota Highlander - mid-size crossover with 3 rows
Lexus ?X - New model. Mid-size crossover based on Highlander platform

Toyota Land Cruiser - full size SUV (BOF, 112" wheelbase, Low range, etc.)
Toyota Sequoia - full size "crossover"
Lexus LX - full size LWB based on Sequoia platform

Not something I'd like to see, but I guess I'm an outlier.

Toyota has the platforms - the Highlander and Sequoia - that could solve their crossover needs without sacrificing the Land Cruiser specifications that they also need to maintain. The Land Cruiser, if priced a bit more marketable (maybe $55-70 depending on options), could span the gap between it's current position and the GX and maintain a full size SUV presence for Toyota. Then they could go nuts with high priced Lexus models where the buyer doesn't seem to want utility, but instead something that can compete with the other lightweight, luxury station wagons that appeal to the US buyer. Spend more for less.
I don't see the LandCruiser and LX570 ever moving to the Sequoia platform because the Sequoia is built on a modified Tundra platform and you can clearly see that the Sequoia is not a luxury vehicle. Even the "non-luxury" LandCruiser (compared to the LX570) is way above the Sequoia in price point and prestige. So to say that the Sequoia becomes the full size crossover is not possible because it's a body on frame platform.
Old 05-29-15, 10:26 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes - "full size crossover" is probably poor phrasing on my part.

But I think one of the arguments I am hearing is that the Land Cruiser isn't a luxury full size platform (in the 2015 sense) either. The prestige and price point of the 200 series come from overbuilt components (strong frame, beefy suspension, axles, diff, 4wd capabilities) that many in the US don't find valuable.

The Sequoia is 4 wheel independent suspension, plus a longer wheel base that caters to towing. It's has length and girth that fits more with platforms like the Escalade or Mercedes GL. 3rd row seating is ample. So Lexus could take everything from the frame downward, and then design an entirely now cabin that would meet the Lexus luxury standard.

Anyway - I'm just spit-ballin', as I'm not sold on the idea either. I'm perfectly happy in the minority that prefers the Land Cruiser platform. But as people continue to ***** and find fault in the LX as compared with models like the Escalade, then Toyota can either ignore all that and stick to their base, or move more in that direction to increase sales in the US market.
Old 05-29-15, 10:28 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
Even the "non-luxury" LandCruiser (compared to the LX570) is way above the Sequoia in price point and prestige.
You sure never heard of a Land Cruiser 200 with 4.0L V6, manual transmission and cloth seats.
Old 05-29-15, 10:34 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
You sure never heard of a Land Cruiser 200 with 4.0L V6, manual transmission and cloth seats.
And ambulance doors
Old 05-29-15, 10:37 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

...if Toyota caves to the US market pressures...
But we already know how it works, don't we?

Just look at GM, Chrysler, etc. who by "caving in to US market pressures" as in producing vehicles for US market buyers went bankrupt during 2008-2009 timeframe.
Old 05-29-15, 10:38 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

And ambulance doors
With a spare wheel on the door nevertheless ;-)
Old 05-29-15, 10:50 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes - "full size crossover" is probably poor phrasing on my part.

But I think one of the arguments I am hearing is that the Land Cruiser isn't a luxury full size platform (in the 2015 sense) either. The prestige and price point of the 200 series come from overbuilt components (strong frame, beefy suspension, axles, diff, 4wd capabilities) that many in the US don't find valuable.

The Sequoia is 4 wheel independent suspension, plus a longer wheel base that caters to towing. It's has length and girth that fits more with platforms like the Escalade or Mercedes GL. 3rd row seating is ample. So Lexus could take everything from the frame downward, and then design an entirely now cabin that would meet the Lexus luxury standard.

Anyway - I'm just spit-ballin', as I'm not sold on the idea either. I'm perfectly happy in the minority that prefers the Land Cruiser platform. But as people continue to ***** and find fault in the LX as compared with models like the Escalade, then Toyota can either ignore all that and stick to their base, or move more in that direction to increase sales in the US market.
IMO, it seems that Toyota/Lexus are selling the Landcruiser and LX570 in the states as a formality and to help cover the cost of development. These two trucks are not designed for the US market. They're clearly designed for the foreign markets that actually buy them and use them off road. Even in the US where these trucks are very capable of going off road, a very very small percentage really do go off road but in foreign markets, even the LX570 goes off road. It's not a mall queen like in the US. As for the Escalade and GL competitors, they're also mall queens although the GL has more chops to go a little more off road but still nothing like the LX/LC. So for this reasons IMO, I don't see Toyota/Lexus actually doing anything with the LC/LX platform to move it to a Tundra based platform. Stranger things have happened but I really don't see it. Like I said previously, I'd like to see Toyota/Lexus make the LC/LX actually more competitive and offer a diesel option along with a stretched version to seat 8 comfortably with a decent sized cargo area. That will be for the US market and then you can count me in.

The Sequoia should stay where it's at and compete with the Expeditions of the world and not the Escalade and Range Rovers.

Either way, whatever Toyota/Lexus do, it's already done. It's not like they just started R&D on the LX/LC. They started it many years ago and have been testing for reliability and such waiting for the right time to release it. I only hope that they've made a big jump to make it competitive with the other luxury offerings as they're made some serious leaps and Toyota/Lexus has been so stagnant in their offerings. They can only rely on the RX and the Camry so much. Please so something soon to offer what people has been screaming for.

As silly as it seems, BMW and Mercedes have been offering cars and trucks in all kinds of flavors. For some, it seems silly and for others, it's exactly what they've been looking for. At the end of the day, it's about offering options that might not fit one person but might fit another and if it fits someone enough that they'll buy it in enough numbers, then do it. But to not even offer it in the first place leave many people looking at other companies for something that they want.

How much business has Lexus/Toyota lost to BMW/Mercedes/Audi because they don't offer an compact sedan like the M3/C63? The RC-F is not 4 doors so it doesn't count. That competes with the M4 and soon to be C63 coupe.
Old 06-01-15, 12:04 AM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you gentlemen are at it, I just picked up my 2015 Range Rover Supercharged ... and man oh man does this platform puts Lexus SUVs to shame !!!

Seriously, the argument over BOF vs. Unibody is baseless when considering these cars expected use. The LX will not have any chance to compete with likes of British & German makers unless they abandon BOF platform ...

These unibody Range Rovers will concur just about anything an LX could and have a on-road manners that an LX or a GX can dream of.

I own 2005 and now a 2015 RR also a 2012 GX ... all I can say is ... there is no comparison at all.
Old 06-01-15, 08:36 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by emaratee
While you gentlemen are at it, I just picked up my 2015 Range Rover Supercharged ... and man oh man does this platform puts Lexus SUVs to shame !!!

Seriously, the argument over BOF vs. Unibody is baseless when considering these cars expected use. The LX will not have any chance to compete with likes of British & German makers unless they abandon BOF platform ...

These unibody Range Rovers will concur just about anything an LX could and have a on-road manners that an LX or a GX can dream of.

I own 2005 and now a 2015 RR also a 2012 GX ... all I can say is ... there is no comparison at all.
My daughter bought a new RR With the big V8. Nice car. I agree there is no comparison!! I would not even cross shop the LX570 and the RR. The LX570 is a rugged, dependable BOF beast. The RR is more like the Porsche C car. A SUV sports car. Enjoy you sports SUV they are super fast for a SUV. But like you said you really can't compare the 2 vehicles.
Old 06-01-15, 11:52 PM
emaratee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
My daughter bought a new RR With the big V8. Nice car. I agree there is no comparison!! I would not even cross shop the LX570 and the RR. The LX570 is a rugged, dependable BOF beast. The RR is more like the Porsche C car. A SUV sports car. Enjoy you sports SUV they are super fast for a SUV. But like you said you really can't compare the 2 vehicles.
Yeah .. But then having owned all sort of Land Cruisers dating back to 1988 >> 1996 >> 2012 and a 2012 GX 460 .... and on the other hand having owned Range Rovers since 1995 >> 1996 >> 2001 >> 2003 >> 2005 and now a 2015 ... let me assure you there is nothing less rugged about the Range Rovers ....

Do they have reliability issues "Maybe" ... but then the thread is about platform rather than anything else .. and the Range Rover does put Lexus to shame .. I respect how they continue to innovate and not shay away from modernizing their platforms ... while the LX and GX are still running on BOF Land Rover switched to unibody back in 2002 and now move the game further to an all aluminum unibody .. it's amazing that this big car can weigh only 100kgs more than an X5 yet can concur just about anything 99% of people can throw at it ....

Yes, it's night and day, and yes can't compare the 2 vehicles
Old 06-02-15, 09:42 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah .. But then having owned all sort of Land Cruisers dating back to 1988 >> 1996 >> 2012 and a 2012 GX 460 .... and on the other hand having owned Range Rovers since 1995 >> 1996 >> 2001 >> 2003 >> 2005 and now a 2015 ... let me assure you there is nothing less rugged about the Range Rovers ....

Do they have reliability issues "Maybe" ... but then the thread is about platform rather than anything else .. and the Range Rover does put Lexus to shame .. I respect how they continue to innovate and not shay away from modernizing their platforms ... while the LX and GX are still running on BOF Land Rover switched to unibody back in 2002 and now move the game further to an all aluminum unibody .. it's amazing that this big car can weigh only 100kgs more than an X5 yet can concur just about anything 99% of people can throw at it ....

Yes, it's night and day, and yes can't compare the 2 vehicles
Enjoy your new ride.
Old 06-03-15, 08:36 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

... while the LX and GX are still running on BOF Land Rover switched to unibody back in 2002 and now move the game further to an all aluminum unibody .. it's amazing that this big car can weigh only 100kgs more than an X5 yet can concur just about anything 99% of people can throw at it ....
Ford looked at aluminum frame for the latest F150 but abandoned that idea since having aluminum frame with the same strength as steel ladder frame didn't yield much weight savings since aluminum would have been so much thicker.

You're right in one regard -- a unibody aluminium Range Rover is enought to handle 99% of things owners throw at it. But also keep in mind that Range Rover is an all weather luxury vehicle which narrows down it's intended use cases quite a bit. Both LC and LX are trucks and their respective platforms are used as such in a far greater variety of applications. The intended use cases of these vehicles is completely different. You may argue that for LX the approach used by RR makes more sense and you will probably be right. But also keep in mind that for Toyota reusing the existing LC platform just makes more sense from a global model management perspective.
Old 06-03-15, 11:00 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 1101GS
This is nice. Do you have link to support this? I was under the impression that they are not but a cars guy told me they are.

I'd be interested in knowing what's coming for 2016 model if it still exists. Like the 15 alot but hate to find out the 16 is a redesign. Any updates?
First generation (J120; 2002–2009) [edit]
First generation (J120)
2008-2009 Lexus GX470 -- 01-13-2010.jpg
Overview
Also called Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
Production November 2002 – July 2009
Model years 2003–2009
Assembly Japan: Tahara, Aichi (Tahara plant)
Designer Shoichi Fujiyoshi
Powertrain
Engine 4.7 L 2UZ-FE V8
Transmission 5-speed A750F automatic
Dimensions
Wheelbase 2,789 mm (109.8 in)
Length 4,780 mm (188.2 in)
Width 1,880 mm (74.0 in)
Height 1,895 mm (74.6 in)
Curb weight 2,209 kg (4,871 lb)
Lexus introduced the GX 470 at the North American International Auto Show in January 2002 as a 2003 model, with sales commencing in November 2002. The GX development program began in 1999 following the J120 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado in 1997, with design work by Shoichi Fujiyoshi concluding in the first half of 2000.[1] Heavily based on the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado (J120), the GX and Prado shared a common platform, mechanicals, and bodyworks (except front-end), so therefore had common basic dimensions. Likewise, the interiors were much the same, with the Lexus receiving further premium touches when compared to the Toyota-badged version. Like the Prado, the GX design incorporated welded steel body-on-frame construction, an electronically controlled five-speed automatic transmission, and permanent four-wheel drive with a center locking Torsen differential.[2] The suspension shared its layout with the Toyota 4Runner equipped with the rear air suspension, while adding Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) and Downhill Assist Control (DAC). AVS could adjust damper firmness continuously while DAC modulated descents down slopes.[2] Power came from a 4.7-liter, 32-valve, four-cam 2UZ-FE V8 engine originally rated at 175 kW (235 hp) at 4,800 rpm and 434 N·m (320 lb·ft) of torque at 3,400 rpm.[2] Towing capacity was rated at 2,300 kg (5,000 lb) for the 2003 model year.[2] Midway through the 2004 model year, the GX received an upgraded towing capacity of 2,900 kg (6,500 lb) with the addition of a much stronger frame-bolted tubular hitch. Ground clearance measured 211 millimetres (8.3 in), with an approach angle of 30° and a departure angle of 29° raised (25° normal).[2][3] The GX 470 carried a drag coefficient of Cd=0.38.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_GX

i dont think the 4runner frame and gx frame are the same. Ive looked at both from sides and there are some minor differences
Old 06-06-15, 07:15 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts