GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Are we ready for the 2016 GX460?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 03:27 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Are we ready for the 2016 GX460?

Are we ready for the 2016 GX460?

http://www.suvpages.com/2016-lexus-g...ery/thumbnails

~ Cap
Old 01-25-15, 10:23 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

why is lexus changing the gx after it was just redone in 2014?
doesnt make sense.
i dont believe that article.
if they are switching to unibody, i am so glad i got my 2014. Judging from the looks of the new
NX and rx to be, very disappointed in the future styling of lexus Suvs.
Old 01-25-15, 11:12 AM
seiclan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The photos in the article look just like my 2014 Luxury GX. I don't really get the difference. Regardless, I have this car until February of 2017.
Old 01-25-15, 01:24 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best scenario IMHO is GX continues to be based on a next gen Prado platform (which almost guarantees it will remain BOF as the markets which require real SUVs will laugh anything unibody out) and TX will be a new unibody crossover for anyone who needs an all-weather grocery fetcher.
Old 01-25-15, 04:34 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
why is lexus changing the gx after it was just redone in 2014?
doesnt make sense.
i dont believe that article.
if they are switching to unibody, i am so glad i got my 2014. Judging from the looks of the new
NX and rx to be, very disappointed in the future styling of lexus Suvs.
I agree. I wanted to push the NX on my wife, but it's so damn blah.

I may keep my GX for a long while if they take away BOF. I am not yet convinced however given the 2014 refresh.
Old 01-25-15, 05:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I have done multiple searches and this is the ONLY site that I can find posting specs for the 2016 that contradict the BOF that other sites show.

The outside of the Lexus GX 460 2016 is going to change radically.
Motor astute there aren’t any official specs for 2016 Lexus GX 460 simply yet however there may be truly a couple of motors in the new auto. The most plausible motor to take the spot of the old 4.6 liter V8 ought to be the fresh out of the box new Lexus/Toyota 3.5 liter V6 with 306 pull and 280 lb-ft of torque.
Sounds like speculation to me.
Old 04-03-15, 05:00 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

April 2,2015 Autoblog post.

Michael Austin
With the debut of an all-new RX, Lexus is in a position for continued strong sales in the luxury SUV arena. The fourth-generation RX has grown, making room for the new NX model beneath it. But further up the ladder, things could change for the GX and LX.

In an interview with Autoblog at the 2015 New York Auto Show, Lexus executive vice president Mark Templin gave some hints at the future of his brand's SUV lineup. "With NX and RX, we have a really good one-two punch in the crossover segments, and we think we can cover most of the markets with that," he said.

As for the larger, three-row GX and LX models, which are built on a traditional ladder-frame chassis, things aren't so clear. Templin noted the the success of both models all over the world – the LX is the best-selling Lexus in Saudi Arabia. The same is true for sales here, he said: "We do very well with those products in the United States – GX has been a great product for us in the US for the last couple of years since its initial introduction. But the future of those vehicles longer term is in doubt because of regulations that are being driven by governments all over the world."

Don't start stockpiling LX 570s in anticipation of shortages just yet. Templin didn't give any specifics; he just notes that tightening fuel economy and emissions regulations could affect product planning. In our analysis, if and when GX rides off into the sunset, Lexus still needs a midsize, three-row SUV to fill that gap. The most likely candidate for that is some variation on the RX.

Whether or not that's the case, don't expect a BMW-like proliferation of body styles from Toyota's luxury division. "It creates problems. It creates complexity, that's hard for every step of the process," Templin said, nothing that too many models stresses the design department, manufacturing, and even dealers inventory selection.

As for the bottom end of the lineup, Templin wouldn't comment on a compact SUV below the NX, saying "I think there are more potential options for us in the future, but we're not trying to grow the number of models we have in our lineup. It's not really what our core business is about." For now, Lexus and Templin are focused on launching the RX, which accounts for three of every 10 Lexus models ever sold. The 2016 model, available in RX 350 and RX 450h hybrid versions, goes on sale by the end of the year.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/02/l...usive/#image-1
Old 04-03-15, 08:12 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Default Ready for the 2016 GX

I go with it is just speculation. Toyota/Lexus is always tight lipped about their new vehicles. When I lived on the West Coast a Toyota Dealer was an acquaintance. He stated they got little to no advance notice on new vehicles and did not get pricing details until the cars were released.
Old 04-04-15, 05:04 AM
JDSTL
Rookie

If the GX keeps selling I can see Lexus keeping it for at least a few more years in it's current iteration. The CAFE regulations could be the end of it if the Lexus fleet is not meeting the standards that get tougher each year.

Last edited by JDSTL; 04-04-15 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 11:50 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with seiclan ... February 2017 is our target date to switch from our 2010 GX 460 to ... well, that remains to be determined. We are considering a next-generation LX ... assuming the next-generation LX is released by then ... and that we like what we see. If not ... well, a 2017 GX 460 would be quite a consolation prize ... assuming there will be a 2017 GX 460!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-04-15, 10:11 PM
Pangoo
Rookie

In the 2016 RX thread alot of clublexus members were talking about how the 3rd row in the RX is going to reduce the need for a GX but honestly they are pretty different vehicles. 4 SUVs is alot for a line up. Hope it stays BoF it's really the last of its breed.
Old 04-06-15, 11:45 AM
seiclan
Driver School Candidate

When I brought my 2014 GX in to the dealer for the 10K maintenance last week they wanted to speak to me about trading the car in already! I have only had this car since January of 2014 and it runs great so I was not interested. I may consider an early trade in next year though. Funny that they want it back so soon (and I have a 3 year lease on it).
Old 04-11-15, 11:27 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

GX shouldn't really exist, it really competes with LX way too much. Lexus needs to make Lexus version of the new highlander, a v6 high mpg SUV. RX is still consider a cross over vehicle and highlander size would be a perfect.
Old 04-12-15, 05:31 AM
SharpSpurs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkonquer
GX shouldn't really exist, it really competes with LX way too much. Lexus needs to make Lexus version of the new highlander, a v6 high mpg SUV. RX is still consider a cross over vehicle and highlander size would be a perfect.

Unless the highlander has changed, it is a front wheel drive "cross over". Not a true BOF suv. Definition of SUV has been watered down over the years.
Old 04-12-15, 07:34 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jkonquer
GX and LX? I don't think so. They are vastly different in size.

I don't disagree about the GX vs. Highlander. Toyota needs to determine if it will stick to its guns regarding the Lexus' use of the Land Cruiser platforms for it's premium SUV's vs. migrating to the Highlander and Sequoia platforms. There is certainly pressure in the US market to make watered down crossovers to complete with the X5 and MDX. But Toyota is still a world market car builder, and the Prado and LX do very well in every other market. They will have my business as long as they stick to the current utility platforms; I'm not interested in a fancy minivan (*cough* MDX *cough*).

Quick Reply: Are we ready for the 2016 GX460?