Rats found in my new GX and new tires!! - Club Lexus Forums


Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-14, 07:48 PM   #1
Shadrash
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ca
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!

Ok Lexus geeks. Here's a good one for you. I'll cover two subjects. I just leased at 3000 back of invoice a new 2015 GX premium with all the bells and whistles. Tow pack, glass breaking sensor, senors, bsm etc. total Murphy 57,900. 0 down 699 inc tax 12 k per year. Dealer in BH had tons to choose from and the sales person Natalia and their managers Safi and Robert were all beautiful to deal with.

I took this car after 1 day of ownership back to tell them about some noise coming from the AC. They made me an appointment three days later. Prior to taking it to service I went to west coast tire in LA and put on the new NITTO grappler G2 275 65 at on. World of a difference. Made the car look great Drives great and overall changed the car into something a man should drive rather than a soccer mom. Scraping on drive ways does happen but it's well worth it,

Here's the good part I took the car to service this Thursday. The AC system had been infested with rats. Dropping were everywhere and all the filters and tons of other crap were chewed through. I didn't smell it in the car but they said they smelled it as soon as they opened the unit. They keep these cars in a garage in century city. I don't think the infestation happened in the garage. Rather I belive it happened on the boat because they only had this car a few weeks Nevertheless, they took the car back. Switched my wheels and deliverd me a replacement. I'm happy with the car. Last cars owned were everything from mercedes to bmw and range rover. I'm actually quite surprised at how well this puppy drives and how sturdy the car is.

In the next few weeks I'll add a nice rack and maybe even get 1 inch spacers to kick the tires out a bit more. Otherwise. Happy to now be a Lexus geek and spend time chatting with all of you!,,,
Shadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 06:52 AM   #2
Eppieguy
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 755
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Let's see pictures of it with the grapplers on please. I have run those tires on every suv I've owned but I thought they'd be too aggressive for my soccer mom SUV.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 07:21 AM   #3
96redvette
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Let's see some pics of the vehicle with the wheels and tires.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrash View Post
Ok Lexus geeks. Here's a good one for you. I'll cover two subjects. I just leased at 3000 back of invoice a new 2015 GX premium with all the bells and whistles. Tow pack, glass breaking sensor, senors, bsm etc. total Murphy 57,900. 0 down 699 inc tax 12 k per year. Dealer in BH had tons to choose from and the sales person Natalia and their managers Safi and Robert were all beautiful to deal with.

I took this car after 1 day of ownership back to tell them about some noise coming from the AC. They made me an appointment three days later. Prior to taking it to service I went to west coast tire in LA and put on the new NITTO grappler G2 275 65 at on. World of a difference. Made the car look great Drives great and overall changed the car into something a man should drive rather than a soccer mom. Scraping on drive ways does happen but it's well worth it,

Here's the good part I took the car to service this Thursday. The AC system had been infested with rats. Dropping were everywhere and all the filters and tons of other crap were chewed through. I didn't smell it in the car but they said they smelled it as soon as they opened the unit. They keep these cars in a garage in century city. I don't think the infestation happened in the garage. Rather I belive it happened on the boat because they only had this car a few weeks Nevertheless, they took the car back. Switched my wheels and deliverd me a replacement. I'm happy with the car. Last cars owned were everything from mercedes to bmw and range rover. I'm actually quite surprised at how well this puppy drives and how sturdy the car is.

In the next few weeks I'll add a nice rack and maybe even get 1 inch spacers to kick the tires out a bit more. Otherwise. Happy to now be a Lexus geek and spend time chatting with all of you!,,,
96redvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 11:23 AM   #4
11GX460
Driver
 
11GX460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: EastCoast
Posts: 162
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrash View Post
Ok Lexus geeks. Here's a good one for you. I'll cover two subjects. I just leased at 3000 back of invoice a new 2015 GX premium with all the bells and whistles. Tow pack, glass breaking sensor, senors, bsm etc. total Murphy 57,900. 0 down 699 inc tax 12 k per year. Dealer in BH had tons to choose from and the sales person Natalia and their managers Safi and Robert were all beautiful to deal with.

I took this car after 1 day of ownership back to tell them about some noise coming from the AC. They made me an appointment three days later. Prior to taking it to service I went to west coast tire in LA and put on the new NITTO grappler G2 275 65 at on. World of a difference. Made the car look great Drives great and overall changed the car into something a man should drive rather than a soccer mom. Scraping on drive ways does happen but it's well worth it,

Here's the good part I took the car to service this Thursday. The AC system had been infested with rats. Dropping were everywhere and all the filters and tons of other crap were chewed through. I didn't smell it in the car but they said they smelled it as soon as they opened the unit. They keep these cars in a garage in century city. I don't think the infestation happened in the garage. Rather I belive it happened on the boat because they only had this car a few weeks Nevertheless, they took the car back. Switched my wheels and deliverd me a replacement. I'm happy with the car. Last cars owned were everything from mercedes to bmw and range rover. I'm actually quite surprised at how well this puppy drives and how sturdy the car is.

In the next few weeks I'll add a nice rack and maybe even get 1 inch spacers to kick the tires out a bit more. Otherwise. Happy to now be a Lexus geek and spend time chatting with all of you!,,,
Speaking of rats, on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, the weather was rainy and cold; in fact, it was freezing all week. I went to start my Lexus and noticed that the Check Engine Light and VSC light lit up, along with the 4Lo light flashing. At first, I thought it was simply a glitch somewhere in the system, so I shut it off and restarted it. Same results. I checked my gas cap + 4Hi, 4Lo setting, and proceeded to drive it, but noticed a lot of power and the engine having a hard time going above 40 mph.

Prior to taking my car in, I popped open the hood and noticed some ripped-up foam around the engine. At first, I didn't think anything of it since it could've been stuff from my recent road trip and driving on the beach. So on black Friday, I took it to the Lexus dealer and had them check it out. What they told me was that a rodent, possible a squirrel, climbed into the engine bay area, chewed on some wires, vacuum hoses, and made a nest between engine cover and engine. Long story short, they needed to replace some wire harness, vacuum hose, diagnostics, and fastener clips. Total cost $457. At least everything is back to normal now. Looks like rodents want a big, warm, and luxurious place to call home, too.




Pic of Check Engine, VSC, and 4Lo light lit. The 4Lo light was flashing.





This is the foam underneath the engine cover. Helps reduce noise, vibrations, and harshness emanating from the engine. Rodent went in and chewed on it to make a nest.





Pic of chewed up foam all over the engine bay. Took me about 45 mins to remove most of what I can see/reach.





Close-up of chewed foam. Looks like brown cake, but it's not.

Last edited by 11GX460; 12-08-14 at 07:29 PM.
11GX460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 12:55 PM   #5
Quadro
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ON
Posts: 575
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes the new environmental friendly organic wiring is a nice snack for the rodents.
Quadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-14, 04:15 PM   #6
tecman
Lexus Test Driver
 
tecman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ga
Posts: 1,398
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadro View Post
Yes the new environmental friendly organic wiring is a nice snack for the rodents.
Not sure about the new wiring, but everything seems to be a snack for squirrels and rats. I recently had a conversation with the owner of the transmission shop that handled my MDX.
He had a LX 570 that had a rats nest in it and they chewed through multiple wires. Several thousands of dollars later along with frustrations in finding all of the hidden damage, he finally resolved the problems.

I am in the low-voltage wiring business and I have fixed chewed through wires behind these rodents for 20 years in residences also.
tecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 11:58 PM   #7
Shadrash
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ca
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

will do. Ill take some pics this week!
Shadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 09:19 PM   #8
96redvette
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrash View Post
will do. Ill take some pics this week!
Any luck on those pics?
96redvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-14, 06:07 AM   #9
JohnJerk
Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Would like to see those pics too. So no tire rub at full lock etc?
JohnJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-14, 09:30 PM   #10
Shadrash
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ca
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default here are the photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJerk View Post
Would like to see those pics too. So no tire rub at full lock etc?
sorry for the delay gentlemen- I did rub not at full lock but at slight angle when hitting a driveway or when slamming on brakes, this was mostly resolved, actually dramatically reduced when i removed that inside bolt holding the running boards. tires are nice I've done some mudding in them and I've done some high speed highway miles. overall I'm happy. bit of a sacrifice due to rubbing but i feel a lot better with the way it looks. I also bought 1 inch spacers. The made it worse so i removed them. I have them for sale if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!-img_4091.jpg   Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!-img_4090.jpg   Rats found in my new GX and new tires!!-img_4087.jpg  
Shadrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 07:17 AM   #11
Eppieguy
Lead Lap
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 755
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Looks great!

I took the same bolt out of mine almost a year ago and haven't looked back, many miles of snow and rain and no issues at all. I keep meaning to put some clear silicone in there but I always forget. The other side is just a plastic retainer that the bolt screws in to but not in to the vehicle itself, just another piece of plastic.
Eppieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 02:32 PM   #12
Kitana
Driver
 
Kitana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Va
Posts: 145
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The tires look nice! What do you all mean by these tires may be too aggressive for a soccer mom? Will they try to pinch my fanny when I climb in? Just curious.
Kitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 03:34 PM   #13
dmccombs
Driver
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 117
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitana View Post
The tires look nice! What do you all mean by these tires may be too aggressive for a soccer mom? Will they try to pinch my fanny when I climb in? Just curious.
They will "bite your shiny metal ***", to quote another thread. ;-)
dmccombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-14, 04:27 PM   #14
Kitana
Driver
 
Kitana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Va
Posts: 145
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Those tires may be perfect for this Ninja assassin-Metal-Mall crawling-Soccer mom then.
Kitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-14, 08:51 PM   #15
JohnJerk
Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Tires look good. Thanks for posting.
JohnJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any Rodent Experience Here? tecman Car Chat 18 02-20-17 10:06 AM
Bugs in the car? LouSeattle RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) 7 01-06-16 09:57 PM
burning rubber smell when driving on freeway vbx IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) 17 02-21-15 11:23 PM
Review: 2007 BMW X5 4.8L mmarshall Car Chat 28 04-02-07 06:57 PM
rattle noise from behind the glove compartment Maeve LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) 8 12-25-02 04:15 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:01 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved