GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Rattle in Left Rear Corner

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 10:13 PM
yipster222
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GoHuskers,

Congrats on the 2015 GX460, I want to ask you do you feel a pulsation or shudder on your brakes when you depress it?

Thanks
Old 09-30-14, 08:00 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I am not sure of your question and I removed my 3rd row.
I came out and took the picture of the "square box" I mentioned about and it is the jack holder. When the spouse is driving, I laid on the back and opened that box...this is where I detected the rattles from. I tried to press against "anything" I touched in there but nothing eliminated the rattles. That is why I found it "probably" is the plastic piece in the wheel well.

Will go to the dealer at lunch today to see what they can tell me.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Rattle in Left Rear Corner-imag0388-1-.jpg  
Old 09-30-14, 01:18 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Drove with the master tech sitting in back, he confirmed the rattles and fixed them right away...no appt needed (I persuaded the service director though). He said that he took it off, used some padding, and screwed it back. It is raining bad here so I have NOT checked out what they did yet. Hope it works......

The pulsing/slight vibrations/hizzing sound for the brake is normal, confirmed the master tech.

Thanks everyone for your inputs and pictures.
Old 07-03-17, 08:18 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I missing a part from the wheel area?

Hey guys,

So I've had this annoying rattle that appeared to be coming from the rear driver's side wheel area. I bought my 2010 GX used with 157,000 miles.

So I check the area out and it looks like a loose plastic cover. I'm not sure what it's called but it's towards the rear of the cover and held by rivets or something. It's super loose when I tap on it so I figure that's where the rattle is from...

So I go look at the passenger side. And it seems like it's missing that entire cover completely! What am I missing here?? Can you guys help me with this please? I am attaching both photos so hopefully you guys can see what I mean.

I took another photo with my hand over the part that is loose which appears to be missing on the passenger side.
Ty!

Last edited by maxse; 07-03-17 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-03-17, 10:50 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I found a rattle in mine similar to what you are saying, however it sounded like it was metal to metal contact. After doing lots of digging(going fast on bumps, sharply turning left/right in a parking lot) I realized that the noise was coming from inside the cabin (driver side) jack compartment in the trunk right above The left rear wheel. In a opened zip lock there where 6 lug nuts & a lug nut key (extra to the one in the tool kit). One of the lugs had fallen out and was rolling inside the compartment which has two levels so it can be deceiving. I had to really dig my hand in there to reach it and depending if I had turned left or right ithe lug had rolled under a weird cover in there. I used my phone camera and light to look at the whole thing and there it was.

I have the f sport wheels which is why there is an extra set of lugs but really it could be anything (a lose scew from the jack or unmatched belt to hold it down).

hopefully that is the case as it was an easy fix once I identified the issue.

cant speak to the plastic piece...
Old 07-04-17, 06:59 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

This?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-rattles.html
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (07-04-17)
Old 07-04-17, 07:28 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

That missing plastic retainer rivet in the middle of that trim piece may be the culprit itself. Good thread tecman posted.
Old 07-04-17, 08:29 AM
maxse
Pit Crew

Thanks. I came across that thread during my search and it's what helped me narrow it down. So I'll have to take it to the dealer to fix this thing huh?
Old 07-04-17, 09:21 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,562 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Not necessarily but if under warranty and dealer will do for free sure... if not I'd probably try to fix it myself. All depends on what you are comfortable with.

EDIT: Looking at mine.. I can see there is movement in this panel if you push on it. I haven't notice any noise back there but a good heads up in case it ever happens in the future

Last edited by Acrad; 07-04-17 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-07-17, 08:09 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Originally Posted by tecman
That was me...and Tecman is great (sometimes I wonder if he EATs and SLEEPs on ClubLexus)

Yes, No more rattles after almost 3 years and 22000 miles.
Old 07-07-17, 10:38 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

Good thread GoHuskers!
@Maxse, you can take a the plastic rivet from the black cover under the hood and put in there see if it helps. If it does, get a few extra, they tend to wander off after a while

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401235017459
Old 07-15-17, 08:26 PM
maxse
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
Good thread GoHuskers!
@Maxse, you can take a the plastic rivet from the black cover under the hood and put in there see if it helps. If it does, get a few extra, they tend to wander off after a while

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401235017459
I had no idea I was even missing a rivet! So there are 3 total that were missing. I borrowed some from under the hood. The noise is still there but it is definitely better. The cover is still loose, but less so which leads me to believe this is the issue.

Now it just looks like it is a washer and I put the rivet in, however, it is still pretty loose and the ones that aren't missing it is not actually a rivet but looks like some kind of a black screw with a modified philips head, looks like a hex key top. I think by screwing those in, it would make the cover tight...

Anyone know which screws I need? for this?

You guys are the best, thanks so much!
Old 12-03-21, 12:14 PM
ajaguilar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks! Fixed my wheel well rattle

I check the jack as many have posted that’s where they found their rattle from the back drivers side area. My Jack was tight and after reading your post I touched the plastic in the wheel well and there was the sound! I put drywall fasteners in two of the three existing plastic clips and then a screw. I used a screw and washers as you can see on the third connection point removing the plastic clip entirely. Both ways work but the plastic drywall anchor and screw was easiest. You may need to snip the end of the anchor off if it’s too long. Fixed! No sounds!

Old 04-11-22, 07:02 AM
alfreema
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am having this exact issue. Can someone give me the Toyota/Lexus part number for the clips so I can find a source for them? Is there a tool and/or trick to remove those? I'd like to try putting rubber washers underneath the clips before I try using screws, and I'd like to have some new clips on hand.
Old 04-11-22, 08:56 AM
alfreema
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah, maybe those clips are the same ones called out in this post? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...tallation.html

Quick Reply: Rattle in Left Rear Corner