GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-14, 02:04 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Remote Starter

We all know Lexus Remote Starter sucks....and expensive. Who has After-Market remote starter?

What branch?
1-way or 2-way
Will your engine shut off when you open the door?
Do you need to have a spare FOB in the car ALL THE TIME?

Thanks.
Old 09-19-14, 07:03 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have known a handful of people who have gotten aftermarket Remote Starters installed and after a few years regretted it. The process used to install the aftermarket remote starts require wire splicing/tapping into some fairly critical wires. If not done perfectly issues arise over time. Some require that you "hide" a key in your car to make it operate. All of these things are prone to failure over time. I would stay OEM or forget it all together if it was me.

Just my $.02.
Old 09-19-14, 07:16 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I have viper smart start on my GS and it works pretty good. I can start it from my phone whenever, wherever. I also have the option to use the keyfob to start the car, just like the factory system. The DB-ALL module gives you functionality just like the factory system and the smart start module adds the phone connectivity. If you want a larger range with just a fob you'll have to get a dedicated remote though.
Old 09-19-14, 07:20 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I have viper smart start on my GS and it works pretty good. I can start it from my phone whenever, wherever. I also have the option to use the keyfob to start the car, just like the factory system. The DB-ALL module gives you functionality just like the factory system and the smart start module adds the phone connectivity. If you want a larger range with just a fob you'll have to get a dedicated remote though.
I have the same, works great but it does still shut off when you open the door. I've had it 2+ years with no issues.
Old 09-19-14, 07:44 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

We have options to override the navigation problem with the truck in motion. I am surprised that there are no aftermarket options to accomplish the door shut off. Maybe there is a liability issue?
Old 09-20-14, 06:29 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
We have options to override the navigation problem with the truck in motion. I am surprised that there are no aftermarket options to accomplish the door shut off. Maybe there is a liability issue?
I am told safety issue since our wheel doesn't lock like cars that have a key, a thief can get in and drive away.
Old 09-20-14, 12:06 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by bradtopp
I have known a handful of people who have gotten aftermarket Remote Starters installed and after a few years regretted it. The process used to install the aftermarket remote starts require wire splicing/tapping into some fairly critical wires. If not done perfectly issues arise over time. Some require that you "hide" a key in your car to make it operate. All of these things are prone to failure over time. I would stay OEM or forget it all together if it was me.

Just my $.02.
There is NO WIRES SLICING anymore.....There is either PKALL or DBALL module that makes things lots easier and safer...

Dealer quoted $450 for an AVITAL 2-way LCD or $350 one way 1 button.....Will see how that goes later.
Old 09-20-14, 05:33 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Yes, there is absolutely wire splicing. You will get the standard Viper modules, and those must be spliced into the vehicle specific wiring harnesses that Viper (if you go with their solution) will provide. You can go to Viper's Website or YouTube to see how they are installed.

Just one example:

I am not trying to argue with you about getting a remote start. It is your choice. Just make sure you hire someone reputable who will solder, and not just twist and tape.

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
There is NO WIRES SLICING anymore.....There is either PKALL or DBALL module that makes things lots easier and safer...

Dealer quoted $450 for an AVITAL 2-way LCD or $350 one way 1 button.....Will see how that goes later.
Old 09-20-14, 09:07 PM
PilotMike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best method to join wires in a harness would be to use Molex connectors with crimp-on pins. Solder gets brittle over time. I've seen car electronics installers and I'm sure some of them are masters of their craft, most of them look like they are just out of high school shop class or on work release from prison. The last thing you want is to have to chase down electrical gremlins.
Old 09-21-14, 05:16 AM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

This can be true if the proper type of solder is not used. We already have soldered PCB's and terminators throughout our vehicle. The connectors you mentioned are absolutely better than the twist and tape method.

Originally Posted by PilotMike
The best method to join wires in a harness would be to use Molex connectors with crimp-on pins. Solder gets brittle over time. I've seen car electronics installers and I'm sure some of them are masters of their craft, most of them look like they are just out of high school shop class or on work release from prison. The last thing you want is to have to chase down electrical gremlins.