GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2012 GX 460 Base - Questions/Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-14, 07:13 AM
craigrpete
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2012 GX 460 Base - Questions/Issues

Wanted to start this thread to see if others have seen these issues and possibly have more information others would find useful:

1) Some functions like the reminder to change your oil seem to be redundant between the gauge cluster and the touch screen functions. They perform a similar function, but for example resetting the oil maintenance mileage in the touch screen has no affect on the dash light.

2) Spare tire is easy to lower, but a real PIA to get back up. The mounting board slides all over when raising the tire back up. And the bolt that connects the two jack pieces you use to crank up the tire happens to hit right where there's a "pad" on the bumper area and tears it up. But again the basic problem is raising the tire back up is unnecessarily difficult.

3) I use the bluetooth cell phone integration to an iPhone 5s quite a bit. Fairly often, instead of leaving the touch screen on the phone display where you can mute, hang-up, etc., the screen goes display displays the message "call in progress.." and you have to then go to the Phone button, Phone option to get to the normal display. Why doesn't it recognize I'm on a call and always go to that screen?

4) Similarly, sometimes the display seems to have a mind of its own and go back to the Nav display when turning on the car when previously I've been on the phone or audio display. Why does it sometimes jump around?

5) Bolts/brackets under the flip up rear window corrode easily. My car is ~2 years old and it was already starting. My solution is to a) dry this area after car washes, and b) wax that whole area yearly for protection. Waxing seems to have really helped. I wish this car had the power up/down window my 4th gen 4Runner had. I loved that feature.

6) Trailer hitch area is already corroding even though its had little use (I bought it 2 years old off a lease - probably didn't get used at all until I bought it a few months ago). So did my old 4Runner after a few years. My solution again is to wax that area - it slows down the corrosion. I'd bet people who use the trailer hitch a lot and chip the paint around the receiver hole will want to paint it with e.g. Krylon spray enamel.

7) XM Weather feature is next to useless. Always behind, storm warning areas did not match up with anything weather.com or other sources showed, could hardly tell the difference between a storm warning and a flood warning so you knever really could tell what the warning was, etc. I bailed on XM altogether eventually. Prefer to use Apple solutions to stream what I like over BT.

8) Back cargo area mat is too thin and slides around too easily. This is a Lexus - why so cheaply made? My best guess is to make it easy to roll out when you want to use the 3rd row seats which I rarely do. Old 4Runner mat was much thicker.

9) The silver dash and door painted areas SCRATCH WAY TOO EASILY! When I was looking at 2-3 year old used vehicles, these areas all looked horrible on most of them. Anyone know how to repair scratches without repainting the whole part? Mine are in pretty good shape but I seen fine scratches here and there. On one of my doors near the handle there are spots on it that looks like some kind of drink or liquid splashed on it and left permanent spots. Looking for ideas on how to make that look new again.

10) Not too impressed with how hard it was to learn how to put in an address on the Nav. Am sure I'll eventually get used to it, but honestly Google Maps on my iPhone is so much easier I'm not very motivated to learn it.

11) There are some other features my wife's '07 Tahoe LTZ has that I can't believe my Lexus doesn't, including : power/memory pedal positions, auto retracting mirrors when parking, better screen layout so you can easily read the small messages radio stations send about current artist/song vs. huge channel buttons Lexus displays, radio channel scan up/down on the display, separate readout for pressure in each tire so you know which one is low when warning light goes on, better use of the rear view mirror to display outside temp and direction (even my 4Runner displayed the direction - GX displays nothing on the mirror).

Also, when I take my GX through a car wash the bumpers sensors go off like crazy. The Tahoe doesn't do that. I know you can turn that off and on, but just try it while in the car wash - the display keeps jumping back to the proximity warning so its very hard to turn off. Is there a way to decrease the sensitivity a bit?

Finally, I'll leave you with a nice little "trick" you might find useful. The steering wheel channel up/down buttons can be used to scan up/down the radio dial if you just hold it in for a second and then let go. My old 4Runner did this too and sure enough so does the GX. For some reason the scan buttons on the dash are behind the little wood slide down door instead of as functions on the touch screen so not always easy to get to.
Old 09-14-14, 02:49 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

[QUOTE=craigrpete; For some reason the scan buttons on the dash are behind the little wood slide down door instead of as functions on the touch screen so not always easy to get to.[/QUOTE]

this door is not on the 2014, it was on the 2010-2013 versions. Are u sure you have 2014?
Old 09-14-14, 02:55 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I can't relate to some of your problems but here goes.

1) yes there are redundant notifications if you choose to set reminders.
2) how often would this be an issue?
3) I do not use Bluetooth as a courtesy to the receiving end (I can always tell when someone is using Bluetooth).
4) I have noticed that the Nav does show when I restart the vehicle.
5) yes, I have that also along with other owners.
Skipping 6,7 and 8
9) yes it is a problem we all have to deal with.
10) not sure what the difficulties are, you just key in the address.

Hope some of this helps, welcome to CL
Old 11-08-14, 06:18 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by craigrpete
Wanted to start this thread to see if others have seen these issues and possibly have more information others would find useful:

8) Back cargo area mat is too thin and slides around too easily. This is a Lexus - why so cheaply made? My best guess is to make it easy to roll out when you want to use the 3rd row seats which I rarely do. Old 4Runner mat was much thicker.
To solve this, I placed a few rubber bath mats in the back. Effective and easy to remove when not needed.