GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fumoto Oil Drain valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 10:45 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fumoto Oil Drain valve

Does anyone have this installed in their GX's?

http://www.qwikvalve.com/
Old 04-17-12, 11:05 AM
Tnorling
Rookie

Due to the fact that our oil requires changing only every 10K miles and such a device would be the prime suspect by the dealer for "any" engine warranty issues, I would shy away from such a "gimmicky" idea. But, that's my opinion.
Old 04-17-12, 01:16 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnorling
Due to the fact that our oil requires changing only every 10K miles and such a device would be the prime suspect by the dealer for "any" engine warranty issues, I would shy away from such a "gimmicky" idea. But, that's my opinion.
Amen to your opinion, which I share!

Back in the "bad old days" when we were changing oil and filter every couple of months, anything to make the job easier and cheaper was welcome. Now we have the opposite problem ... unless you drive more than 10,000 miles a year you will change the oil and filter by the calendar once a year. How much time and money can that take and why bother trying to save either?

Considering the downside ... disallowing a warranty claim because of some cheap gimmick added to the vehicle ... it's not worth it! What gets poured into the crankcase is irrelevant ... what counts is that Lexus will honor their warranty if anything goes wrong. My opinion is to let Lexus be responsible and there can be no issue about who did what when to maintain the warranty.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 04-17-12, 01:46 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I take mine to the Toyota dealer unless I have other warranty work to be done. My Lexus dealer is 120 miles each direction from my home. I make an appt. at the Toyota dealer and get in and out fast. They have the same filters and oil. I'm not going to change my own oil, or put this gizmo on either one of my vehicles...
Old 04-17-12, 02:10 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oil extractors are used by Mercedes service departments. I use one for my BMW. No need to go under the vehicle and remove the drain plug. Drains in less than 20 mins. Unfortunately, you still have to deal with the oil filter, and from what I've read here, it's not in the best location on the GX. Most BMW's have the filter right on top of the engine.

Here's one of many versions of oil extractors:

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1...ource=googleps

Since I drive the GX about 10K per year, I'll stick with the dealer
Old 04-18-12, 04:05 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

These valves are very popular/safe and will NOT void your warranty (unless it causes a failure). Just make sure it will not be protruding and can be hit and knocked off.

I do agree with it not being necessary with 10K mile OCIs.

Koz
Old 04-18-12, 04:37 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

I like the mityvac fluid extractors, do they suck all the oil in the pan? I wonder if the even take the sediment that is at the bottom of the pan too.
Old 04-18-12, 12:27 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

my gx has just over 10k miles, and last oil change in july with 5k miles. The suv is saying it needs an oil change soon... Not always the case you change it every 10k. THe oil looks a little dirty
Old 04-18-12, 12:29 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Tnorling
it will not void your warranty..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act.

what will void it is not documenting oil changes and when they were done and by whom
Old 04-18-12, 03:15 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeyS
I like the mityvac fluid extractors, do they suck all the oil in the pan? I wonder if the even take the sediment that is at the bottom of the pan too.
The tube will actually touch the bottom of the oil pan, so yes, sucks it almost completely dry.
Old 04-18-12, 04:59 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by T4Fun
what will void it is not documenting oil changes and when they were done and by whom
Excellent point, T4Fun ... all the more reason to let the Lexus Service Department provide this critical function.

I have appended the official record from the Lexus Drivers site of our most recent service. Note that the date, mileage, repair number and specific description of the service is recorded. As vehicle owner, I can access this via a secure web site, but changes are under the control of Lexus.

Imagine if the vehicle requires warranty work, but documentation is required to prove that it was property maintained. What would be more credible ... this or a receipt from Jiffy Lube ... or an "I changed it myself" hand-written note?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. In years past our dealership would stamp and date the maintenance manual, which was the proof that the service was performed. Our dealership recently retired their stamps as this online record establishes primacy.
Attached Thumbnails Fumoto Oil Drain valve-service-record.jpg  

Last edited by SaniDel; 04-19-12 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-18-12, 06:02 PM
bradtopp
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful of spreading misinformation. This Warranty Act does not state that the valve will not void your warranty. What is states is your warranty is not automatically null and void if you modify your vehicle. However, if a problem should arise and you have made a modification you will need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that your modification to the engine lubrication system (I'm sure this is what they would call it) did not cause any sort of problem. Lawyers will be involved so you can throw common sense out the window.

The dealership will also need to prove that your modification did in fact cause whatever failure may occur.

I know how this works first hand. I owned a 2010 Ford Mustang GT. As many people do with a muscle car, I paid to have the stock exhaust replaced with a less restrictive cat-back system. Unfortunately for me the engine starting making serious ticking sounds with only 3300 miles on the odometer. The first thing Ford blamed was the aftermarket exhaust. The burden was on me to prove it was not the culprit. I won't go into more detail but let me say it took nearly 8 months to get the engine fixed under warranty. And that is only after I retained an attorney. Even then I am surprised the issue was resolved. I will never, again, modify a car while it is under warranty. Until you've dealt with a situation like this for yourself you probably cannot understand the amount of effort it takes to deal with huge corporations like Ford or Lexus who have the ability to employ nearly limitless resources.

I am with the others on this one. Don't add the valve. It is not worth the trouble it will cause if something unforeseen should arise.

Thanks

Originally Posted by T4Fun
it will not void your warranty..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act.

Old 04-18-12, 07:58 PM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Thanks for all the feedback, I am definitely holding back on the valve for now. There were some excellent points that made a lot of sense like changing the oil every 10k miles and most importantly, for Do It Yourself guys, is to document your work done on the vehicle. you don't really need to look for trouble with something so insignificant as a drain valve.
Old 04-18-12, 09:23 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by bradtopp
Be careful of spreading misinformation. This Warranty Act does not state that the valve will not void your warranty. What is states is your warranty is not automatically null and void if you modify your vehicle. However, if a problem should arise and you have made a modification you will need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that your modification to the engine lubrication system (I'm sure this is what they would call it) did not cause any sort of problem. Lawyers will be involved so you can throw common sense out the window.

The dealership will also need to prove that your modification did in fact cause whatever failure may occur.

I know how this works first hand. I owned a 2010 Ford Mustang GT. As many people do with a muscle car, I paid to have the stock exhaust replaced with a less restrictive cat-back system. Unfortunately for me the engine starting making serious ticking sounds with only 3300 miles on the odometer. The first thing Ford blamed was the aftermarket exhaust. The burden was on me to prove it was not the culprit. I won't go into more detail but let me say it took nearly 8 months to get the engine fixed under warranty. And that is only after I retained an attorney. Even then I am surprised the issue was resolved. I will never, again, modify a car while it is under warranty. Until you've dealt with a situation like this for yourself you probably cannot understand the amount of effort it takes to deal with huge corporations like Ford or Lexus who have the ability to employ nearly limitless resources.

I am with the others on this one. Don't add the valve. It is not worth the trouble it will cause if something unforeseen should arise.

Thanks
i would never add the valve to begin with. just know the warranty act. I will change the brakes on this myself but not change the oil...know why...just like you said
Old 04-19-12, 06:41 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradtopp
I will never, again, modify a car while it is under warranty.

Amen again!
Regards,

SaniDel

Quick Reply: Fumoto Oil Drain valve