Kaymar rear bumper - Club Lexus Forums

Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GX Models > GX - 2nd Gen (2010-present)

Kaymar rear bumper

Old 06-17-14, 01:06 PM   #1
FrigginFGO
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default Kaymar rear bumper

I've been in contact with Benjamin Meddows from Outback Proven, an Australia owned company that sells 4WD accessories in the U.S. They sell Kaymar bumpers which specialize in rear bumper kits for 4WD vehicles.

I was asking him about this specific Toyota Prado 150 bumper to see if it was possible to get it into the U.S.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is the e-mail I received from him today:

"G'Day Kevin,

I saw your e-mail inquiry from Kaymar this morning. I can get a Kaymar Rear Bar that fits the 150 Prado, however there is no guarantee it will fit the US Lexus GX460 equivalent even though they are essentially the same vehicle. If you're looking for the one in the picture that's a KitPrado150-R-JCD It retails for $3,059.50. If the vehicle is fitted with the Toyota sensors it's a KitPrado-S-R-JCS. If you would like a LHS tyre carrier and RHS double Jerry can for a US LHD vehicle I can try to see if it's available.

This would be a special order for a non-US spec vehicle, so payment is required upon ordering and there is no return. The price includes shipping from Australia, however not from our las Vegas warehouse to you and It would take about 3 months for delivery.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Benjamin Meddows"

There is an aftermarket out there for the GX460. It just comes from Australia and it takes some time and a little bit of experimentation and modification for it to happen.
Old 06-17-14, 06:32 PM   #2
tecman
Lexus Test Driver

This is a modification to extend the rear bumper? What are the advantages besides the trailer hitch, or is that the sole purpose?

With your last posts....What are you building FrigginFGO? LOL.
Old 06-17-14, 07:39 PM   #3
FrigginFGO
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecman View Post
This is a modification to extend the rear bumper? What are the advantages besides the trailer hitch, or is that the sole purpose?

With your last posts....What are you building FrigginFGO? LOL.
LOL, This particular rear bumper moves the spare tire from the bottom of the vehicle to the back to prevent it from getting shredded on trails. It has swing out mounts for the spare and the jerry can holder (spare fuel) so the rear hatch can open up. The rear bumper can also take damage from being rear ended by cars or sliding back into brush while climbing up a steep hill.

My ultimate goal is to turn a GX460 into an overland vehicle. My FJ would be a terrible choice because it has a 19 gallon tank that can only take me so far and my 4Runner is a V6 that loaded with a family and gear, would be a drag on the trail.

People would ask why not mod a Land Cruiser or LX? I've been doing extensive research lately and found out that the current US spec 200 series Land Cruisers/LX's only have a 24 gallon tank while the GX460's have a 23 gallon tank. Even down a gallon, the GX460's driving range is 345-460 miles compared to the Land Cruiser/LX's driving range of 320-443 miles. That 5.7 V8 is just too thirsty IMHO. Not only that, the GX460 is smaller and not a behemoth that the 200 series is which can be important passing obstacles on trails.

I've been lurking on the Prado Point forums getting ideas and contacting manufacturers and their U.S. dealers to see if any parts can be shipped here since nearly all those companies are in Australia. They have no Lexus GX's there so that's why there are questions on fitment. Those companies seem to be willing to ship parts out here and may be interested in the outcome which could open the door to more off-road mod support.

Lastly, I'm giving up on my search for a CRAWL control GX460 since they are impossible to find. I will focus on getting a low mileage 2010-2013 model with no air suspension since it would be better for lifts and I believe KDSS will be sufficient enough for my needs.
Old 06-18-14, 03:54 PM   #4
tecman
Lexus Test Driver

Are you taking long off road trips in Florida or some where else?
I would like to see some pictures of what you are putting your FJ and T4R through,in your quest to build the best off road truck.
Old 06-19-14, 08:08 AM   #5
FrigginFGO
Driver

I'm thinking about taking a couple of months off and going across the country doing various trails on my journey. If that goes well, I would like to do a Pan-American trip covering Central and parts of South America. I think the GX460 would combine both elements of the FJ and 4Runner into what I need.

My 4Runner is bone stock minus the BFG A/T tires. It's more of a family hauler that my wife drives:

My FJ on the other hand has:

ARB Front Bumper
XD9000 Warn Winch
Safari Snorkel
Old man Emu 1.5 inch lift (886)
Dirty Parts Dual Battery Kit
BFG A/T tires

Old 06-19-14, 08:44 AM   #6
KVA
Lexus Champion

Talk to these guys - they have done GX stuff in the US.

Good luck...once my wife tires of the GX I will do the same...right now the T4R is the overland vehicle.
Old 06-19-14, 09:29 AM   #7
FrigginFGO
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVA View Post
Talk to these guys - they have done GX stuff in the US.

Good luck...once my wife tires of the GX I will do the same...right now the T4R is the overland vehicle.
Wow! Looks like they have done some great work! I'll shoot them an e-mail to see if they have plans for a GX460 build in the future.
Old 11-03-14, 10:42 AM   #8
Seanathin
Driver School Candidate

Default me too!

Two person group buy?

I toyed with the idea of getting one, but since my wife crunched the lower part of the rear bumper my idea is coming a reality sooner than expected.

The dobinsons Springs and tjm protection steps ive instalen made it from aus without issue... The rear bar may be a bit tougher (waiting to hear back from Outback Proven and Kaymar to get this bar in the mail).
Seanathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-15, 10:59 AM   #9
Rock712
Driver School Candidate

Anybody do this yet? Looking for feed back!!!
Rock712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 08:14 PM   #10
FrigginFGO
Driver

I never completed this project as my search for a GX460 took a detour when I came across a 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser with 32,000 miles that I couldn't pass up.

That being said, Outback Proven closed shopped within the last two months and I hear Kaymar is looking for a new distributor in the states. I'm not aware of anyone installing this rear bumper on a GX before they closed. Hopefully it's not too long before they find a new distributor.

I'll always be fond of the GX. Right now, the wife drives the Land Cruiser and I still drive my FJ. With my FJ getting up there in mileage, I'll start looking at a GX again to replace it in a couple of years.
FrigginFGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 07:10 PM   #11
Seanathin
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock712 View Post
Anybody do this yet? Looking for feed back!!!
My Kaymar bar should be in Miami any day now. Nobody in America that I could find carries the brand anymore so I puchased direct from Kaymar. I am currently getting beat up by a customers broker (fees seem outrageous to me but maybe that's normal) but I will post some pictures when it arrives at my house.

Bottom line, unless you know a customers broker that will cut you a break, you may be better off waiting for some other company stateside to pick up the brand.

I actually came to check this thread to see if FrigginFGO had ordered one and see if he did better than me on customs, but looks like no dice

Last edited by Seanathin; 03-02-15 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Mentioned FrigginFGO
Seanathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 02:18 PM   #12
Rock712
Driver School Candidate

I've been looking for a winch mount and rear bumper and for the cost of modifying the GX I could buy a decent 100 series.... where all the parts are made to fit it....

I'll probably get larger tires and a RTT, maybe a winch for the trailer hitch.
Rock712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 08:24 AM   #13
NMBruce
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanathin View Post
My Kaymar bar should be in Miami any day now. Nobody in America that I could find carries the brand anymore so I puchased direct from Kaymar. I am currently getting beat up by a customers broker (fees seem outrageous to me but maybe that's normal) but I will post some pictures when it arrives at my house.

Bottom line, unless you know a customers broker that will cut you a break, you may be better off waiting for some other company stateside to pick up the brand.

I actually came to check this thread to see if FrigginFGO had ordered one and see if he did better than me on customs, but looks like no dice
New here, thinking of getting a GX, so I would like to know if this came through and how does it look?
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 05:16 AM   #14
Jacket
Driver

There's a guy on IH8MUD.com that installed one of these on his silver GX. Look in the 150 Series section on that site for pictures and reviews. It looks stellar.

2013 GX 460
1996 FZJ80
1976 FJ40
Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 07:57 AM   #15
NMBruce
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
There's a guy on IH8MUD.com that installed one of these on his silver GX. Look in the 150 Series section on that site for pictures and reviews. It looks stellar.
Thanks, yes it does look great
NMBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 07:57 AM