GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 11:29 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocks
1982? Cars have come a long, long way since then.
So have I!
Old 10-03-10, 03:28 PM
structural
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had This Problem

I had the hesitation problem. I took it in for repair and they did a software update. I haven't had the problem since.

Though, the transmission is all over the place, it can't seem to follow my commands, sometimes I just touch the pedal and I get great acceleration, other times, I have to floor it just to get it to down shift. I have been told my the dealer that this issue will be addressed in the next software update.

Can't Wait!

Anybody else experience this issue?

Thanks!

Last edited by structural; 10-03-10 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-03-10, 03:51 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by structural
I had the hesitation problem. I took it in for repair and they did a software update. I haven't had the problem since.

Though, the transmission is all over the place, can't seem to follow my commands, sometimes I just tough the pedal and I get great acceration, other times, I have to floor it just to get it to down shift. I have been told my the dealer that this issue will be addressed in the next software update.

Can't Wait!

Anybody else experience this issue?

Thanks!
I am putting premium gas only and do not have hesitation problem. I didn't know there were additional software updates since CR made fuzz about our trucks drifting abilities. Can you share more on the SW updates?
Old 10-03-10, 05:39 PM
structural
Driver School Candidate

Default Software update

Sorry,

I have no additional info on the next software update. The service advisor that told me about it was "let go" last week and I have not had a chance to talk to a new one yet.

I will check Monday to see if anyone in the service department knows about the next update.
Old 10-23-10, 10:18 AM
frankfaris
6th Gear

Got an e-mail from the dealer on 10/21. The new update is in and ready for installation.
Old 10-23-10, 04:53 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by frankfaris
Got an e-mail from the dealer on 10/21. The new update is in and ready for installation.
is there a link to lexus website on this issue? its quite obvious the throttle response on this has a different feel than drive by cable systems (such as on my 2000 corolla and an infiniti gx). brake system also is brake by wire if Im not mistaken
Old 10-25-10, 05:09 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the same issue that plagued the RX's. A software update corrected the hesitation problem on the RX's.
Old 10-25-10, 05:36 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't have any hesitation with mine, but I run 94 octane premium from Conoco/Phillips.
I've run 93 octane from BP without any hesitation as well...
Old 11-08-10, 10:16 PM
Gx470Rx300
Driver School Candidate

My grandma just got one and there is a very slight hesitation in acceleration but still performs well
Old 11-09-10, 05:33 PM
Craig B

There is a software update, but I haven't bothered to take mine in. I don't have problems with hesitation or transmission.
Old 11-10-10, 03:21 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Craig B
There is a software update, but I haven't bothered to take mine in. I don't have problems with hesitation or transmission.
I just checked the Lexus Drivers page for our vehicle and "...2010 LEXUS GX460
Your vehicle does not require any outstanding safety recalls or service campaigns at this time. This inquiry covers all recalls or campaigns currently not completed for your specific vehicle identification number (VIN)."

As our vehicle has a November 2009 build date it would seem that it would be included in any software update campaign. Does the Lexus Drivers page for your vehicle have information about this campaign or have you received direct notification from Lexus? In other words, how do you know there is a software update?

Perhaps since neither of us have these problems with our vehicles they are not involved with the recall, but that would make the problem vehicle-specific. Even more intriguing ... Lexus would have to know which specific vehicles have the problem and only recall those that are affected by individual VIN. Is it reasonable that Lexus can limit a recall campaign to specific vehicles?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 11-10-10, 06:22 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

May we know the specifics of the email you received from the dealer? I have received nothing and the Lexus Drivers page for our vehicle claims there are no applicable safety or recall campaigns. Perhaps this update is vehicle-specific ... as our vehicle has none of these problems, it may not need the update.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 11-10-10, 11:49 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by SaniDel
I just checked the Lexus Drivers page for our vehicle and "...2010 LEXUS GX460
Your vehicle does not require any outstanding safety recalls or service campaigns at this time. This inquiry covers all recalls or campaigns currently not completed for your specific vehicle identification number (VIN)."

As our vehicle has a November 2009 build date it would seem that it would be included in any software update campaign. Does the Lexus Drivers page for your vehicle have information about this campaign or have you received direct notification from Lexus? In other words, how do you know there is a software update?

Perhaps since neither of us have these problems with our vehicles they are not involved with the recall, but that would make the problem vehicle-specific. Even more intriguing ... Lexus would have to know which specific vehicles have the problem and only recall those that are affected by individual VIN. Is it reasonable that Lexus can limit a recall campaign to specific vehicles?
Regards,

SaniDel
The shop foreman told me about the update when I took my LS 460 in for the valve spring recall. My dealer is 110 miles away each direction. I'm in no hurry to take it in for an update I don't need...
Old 03-13-11, 01:54 PM
zaccor
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ethanol e85 in the GX?

I'm sure this has been brought up before but what's the deal with using ethanol in the new GX? is it possible and has anyone done it? I hear conflicting answers to whether it can do it.
Old 03-13-11, 02:07 PM
Craig B

No, it's not possible to run E85 in the GX 460. It wasn't designed for it. You will be sorry if you try running it. I think it's only rated for 10%, not 85%. Why would you want tot run E85? You would get terrible mileage if you could run it. BTW, I've never seen anyone ask about E85 on this forum.

Quick Reply: Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)