GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX460 - Exploding Trunk Window...Advice please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-14, 02:33 PM
danlnyc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2014 GX460 - Exploding Trunk Window...Advice please!!

Hello all members,

Quick intro: My name is Danny and I am coming from the MBZ/BMW world. Former owner of a modified 04 CL55 AMG and 09 335i.

My mother recently purchased a 2014 GX460 from the Westminster Lexus dealership.

2 weeks later, she called me and stated that someone had shattered her rear window. Luckily, the whole thing was caught on CCTV. While we were reviewing the video, we were expecting to see somebody breaking the window, however to our shock, we saw that the trunk window had literally exploded by itself.

Witnesses in the business parking lot, many who is friends and neighbors, witnessed nobody around the car, and the video shows a gentlemen walking by confused as to what happened after the window exploded.

Naturally, we went back to the dealership to complain about the exploding window and showed them the video.

Lexus DENIED all repairs to our vehicle even though it is for a fact that the window was defective. Even with PROOF.. They tried to charge us $1600+ dollars for a replacement.

Because of this, now my mother feels unsafe in her BRAND NEW Lexus and she constantly states to me that she is scared of this happening again while she is driving. In a LEXUS of all cars. She had a 13' CLS550 before and currently a '14 S550 and none of these cars has ever given her an issue with windows. Ever.

If this happened on the freeway, it would have been extremely dangerous for her and the drivers behind her.

My question is: What can I do?? Is it okay for me to post the video without hurting our case legally?? I just need some direction on what I can/should do....

Old 03-05-14, 02:43 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was in your shoes I would provide Lexus with a copy of the CCTV footage and demand that they cover the damaged window.

Hmmm I just reread your post and see where you said Lexus denied all repairs even with proof. Does this mean someone from the dealership watched the video? If so, it's time to escalate to corporate.
Old 03-05-14, 02:52 PM
danlnyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
If I was in your shoes I would provide Lexus with a copy of the CCTV footage and demand that they cover the damaged window.

Hmmm I just reread your post and see where you said Lexus denied all repairs even with proof. Does this mean someone from the dealership watched the video? If so, it's time to escalate to corporate.
Thank you for the reply. We did show them the video and they stated that it would not be covered under warranty. The car was not even a month old.

I am ready to take this to corporate, however I do not even know where to start.
Old 03-05-14, 02:59 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is that the moment you start raising h3ll they will relent!

Quick Google Search........

Lexus Corporate Office Headquarters
Toyota USA
19001 S. Western Ave.
Torrance, CA 90501 USA
Corporate Phone Number: 1-310-468-4000
Fax Number: 1-310-468-7800
Customer Service Number: 1-800-255-3987

BTW, I tested the 1-800 number and it's good. You want Option #5
Old 03-05-14, 03:41 PM
danlnyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
My guess is that the moment you start raising h3ll they will relent!

Quick Google Search........

Lexus Corporate Office Headquarters
Toyota USA
19001 S. Western Ave.
Torrance, CA 90501 USA
Corporate Phone Number: 1-310-468-4000
Fax Number: 1-310-468-7800
Customer Service Number: 1-800-255-3987

BTW, I tested the 1-800 number and it's good. You want Option #5
Thank you! I will call them first thing tomorrow morning
Old 03-05-14, 03:44 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Someone could have shot out the window with a wrist rocket or slingshot. I haven't had any problem with my 2014 GX 460 back glass or my 2010 GX 460 back glass. I would call my insurance agent.
Old 03-05-14, 04:15 PM
danlnyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Craig B
Someone could have shot out the window with a wrist rocket or slingshot. I haven't had any problem with my 2014 GX 460 back glass or my 2010 GX 460 back glass. I would call my insurance agent.
We had assumed the same thing. The first thing we did was look for any sort of evidence of vandalism. None was found inside the car or outside.

Also, the car was parked in a private business parking lot surrounded by our professional and friendly neighbors and a huge factory-like building behind it so the idea of somebody targeting my mothers car, who is the kindest soul on the planet, seems implausible.

Several witnesses stated that there was nobody around the car and that they had not heard or seen anything unusual when suddenly, the glass exploded.
Old 03-05-14, 04:30 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

That was going to be my question, if a small rock or bb was found. Being in the business and dealing with CCTV unfortunately quality is poor unless it is a high end megapixel system and even then I doubt a small flying object would show up.
Old 03-05-14, 04:41 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by danlnyc
... the video shows a gentlemen walking by confused as to what happened after the window exploded...
[/B]
Maybe it was a hit attempt gone bad...just saying.

I would call Lexus corp...they are in Torrance so not far from you either. Who did you talk to at Lexus of Westminster? I bought my '14 GX from them, my prior GX, RX and GS as well - no problems at all...ever.

In general the dealerships are only going to cover what Lexus corp offers to cover. I would really push on Lexus corp. Note that exploding sunroofs is not a new occurrence with Toyota - maybe is is creeping to the rear window now. Hopefully not.
Old 03-05-14, 05:03 PM
danlnyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KVA
Maybe it was a hit attempt gone bad...just saying.

I would call Lexus corp...they are in Torrance so not far from you either. Who did you talk to at Lexus of Westminster? I bought my '14 GX from them, my prior GX, RX and GS as well - no problems at all...ever.

In general the dealerships are only going to cover what Lexus corp offers to cover. I would really push on Lexus corp. Note that exploding sunroofs is not a new occurrence with Toyota - maybe is is creeping to the rear window now. Hopefully not.
It was my father who took the car back to Lexus, I am not sure who he spoke with. He called me when he was inside the dealership and he was understandably angry, stating that Lexus had refused to replace the trunk window.

I am going to call Lexus headquarters first thing tomorrow morning and give them a piece of my mind, as respectfully as possible.
Old 03-05-14, 05:11 PM
danlnyc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
That was going to be my question, if a small rock or bb was found. Being in the business and dealing with CCTV unfortunately quality is poor unless it is a high end megapixel system and even then I doubt a small flying object would show up.
I do not believe it was any type of projectile. It just doesn't make sense with how the parking lot is set-up and the type of professional individuals who walk in and out of the building on a daily basis. This isn't the hood or the ghetto type of environment. It's a private parking lot for employees with the same people who park there everyday.

Plus, with those very same people outside who witnessed the whole thing, wouldn't they have seen or heard the initial impact of something hitting the window? We did talk with the man who was caught on CCTV walking over to the car after the window explosion and he did not hear/see anything unusual.
Old 03-05-14, 06:20 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Video.

I'd love to see this video.

Randy B
Old 03-06-14, 09:23 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything can happen anytime anywhere. My FJ was broken into in a really good area 6 months ago in a crowded Publix parking lot and no one saw a thing. My instinct screams vandalism in your case. As a firefighter regularly breaking vehicle glass to access patients, the noise isn't that loud. I think someone had a bad day and used a projectile of some type and took their anger out on the nicest thing in the parking lot.
Old 03-06-14, 09:33 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also after 6 months and plenty of vacuuming during that timeframe, I still find bits of broken glass from where my FJ's window was shattered. Maybe the BB or whatever struck the vehicle window in your case is still somewhere hidden in the vehicle.
Old 03-06-14, 04:00 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Could have been shot out by a pellet gun, or BB gun. I can't see the window breaking on it's own...

Quick Reply: 2014 GX460 - Exploding Trunk Window...Advice please!!