GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX460 - Exploding Trunk Window...Advice please!!

Old 07-19-16, 05:50 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts

Thanks for the video refresh
Did your mom get rid of the GX for this reason only?
Old 07-20-16, 08:37 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Thanks for the video refresh
Did your mom get rid of the GX for this reason only?
If so, that would be quite the overreaction.
Old 07-24-16, 02:14 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=danlnyc;9558201]I'm still here and yea I would like to read about your funny story lol.

Ok

So it's summer in DetRiot, Michigan. It's a Glass Manufacturing Plant - where they temper glass - so it's HOT inside. There are huge fans everywhere - sometimes one fan per person or team working close to one another. The windows are closed - because drafts could affect the heat-treating process.

I'm running three machines - the details are unimportant, but the important thing is that with my left hand I reach forward for a freshly edge-ground window lying horizontally on the grinder, while simultaneously placing a freshly cut-to-size piece of glass in front of me ready to replace the ground piece.

The motion is like simultaneously pulling and holding a plate of food in your right hand next to your chest while reaching out with your left hand to shake someone's hand.

Only, the edge on the paper plate is a front-window-sized piece of glass and it had a 1-inch long razor-sharp shard of glass sticking out of the corner (wasn't cleanly trimmed by my co-worker) - and that knife slit open my vein in my out reached left arm - right where the Red Cross draws blood - and that vein opened up like a split-open banana.

The glass was so sharp, and the cut was so shallow, however that I hardly felt a thing - BUT I WAS BLEEDING LIKE A STUCK PIG.

Background info: Cuts in a glass plant are usually nothing trivial.

So I thought I'd "milk" the injury to its max (being a smart-Alec college kid working in a hot plant in summer) so as I walked down the production aisle a couple hundred yards to the infirmary - I milked my arm to make as much blood as I could. It was dripping down all fingers. I left a trail. It looked really bad.

Now as it happened, on the way to the nurse's office, I had to pass by the final assembly line that tempers the windshields - it's a small team process where two guys put the first piece of glass on a table, then put the plastic piece that makes the front windshield keep your head on one side of the glass in an accident (it's like the front windows now on the RX) - then they put the second piece of glass together with the other two now making this three-piece "sandwich" - then they put the sandwich into the furnace for curving, curing, and heat treating.

it's HOT near those furnaces. People on those lines often got light-headed and the teams were replaced more frequently than at other positions in the plant due to dehydration and overheating.

So, given that glass cuts in a glass plant are usually significant - and since I'm walking down the aisle with most of my arm dripping blood - and since it's hot next to the windshield furnace - one of the guys that was working that line looked up at me, his eyes went hazy, and he then fell flat on his face - out cold.

i got to the nurse's office, and she hurriedly started blotting up all the blood on my arm - and after a few moments said something like "...all right, where the heck is it?..." - I showed her, she patched up the 1/2" slit in that one side of my vein with two or three butterfly stitches (they're merely pieces of hourglass-shaped tape) - put on a bandage - and SENT ME BACK TO WORK!

The only person who got time off was the poor man who hit the floor at the windshield line (for which I truly felt bad).
Old 07-24-16, 10:37 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the video, and after watching it a few times (slomo), the exploding motion started just above the lift-up ****/handle. It looked like a projectile caused the break. The glass breakage definitely started in a small area near the **** then most of the glass dropped to the ground. The hydraulic lift caused the upper part of the hatch to swing up since there is no glass+weight to hold the swing-up window down. It appeared that right before the projectile hit the glass, I thought it was a high speed object that hit the glass then bounced off the ground. Most of the left and top part of the glass appeared to drop inside the vehicle, with a big chunk on the right side falling outside. You can definitely tell the break was concentrated on the lower part of the glass, probably near between the right and middle part of the vehicle.

I have a question... why the man with a kid and a woman passing by the vehicle went to see the rear of the vehicle then walked directly opposite from where he came from? If I was the guy and that was my wife and kid, I would have signalled, yelled, or waved my hand to let them know to stay back where they are at. Then I turn around and move to the opposite direction, but the guy just ignored the two and walked away on the opposite direction where he came from - very suspicious sequence of events.

There is no way the hydraulic door opener is powerful enough to cause the breakage. I've tried it in my truck, by pressing the button and observed the latch to release the glass. The weight of the glass provided enough counterweight to keep the glass down. You have to lift the glass almost halfway up before the hydraulic opener takes effect. Another possibility the glass would break just like that would be a projectile that came from the inside of the vehicle like a heavy and sharp object/tip of metal object directly hitting the glass from the inside due to unbalanced placement causing the object to tip toward the glass, or (last theory) a small explosive device which was placed where it exploded.

In my humble opinion, this is an insurance type of resolution, based on how the glass started to break in a small area in the back. If the glass was defective, the break would have been in much bigger chunks with no outward burst of small pieces of glass, before some bigger chunks fall into the ground and crumble.

Last edited by LXGXSAM1; 07-24-16 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-04-16, 01:42 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Something similar happened to my wife's GS350 last year. She was driving along on the freeway and out of nowhere, her sunroof shattered. Road was smooth, no potholes or anything. Luckily we had a $100 glass deductible.
Old 09-06-16, 01:04 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Seeing this pop up again, so very strange!

Judging from the overgrown vegetation in the video, perhaps they were cutting grass nearby?

Old 09-06-16, 01:05 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
Something similar happened to my wife's GS350 last year. She was driving along on the freeway and out of nowhere, her sunroof shattered. Road was smooth, no potholes or anything. Luckily we had a $100 glass deductible.
No cars/trucks ahead?

Nuts!
Old 09-11-16, 11:25 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
No cars/trucks ahead?

Nuts!
she told me it was clear up ahead. for some reason, my first thought was someone firing a weapon from up above but there was no overpass or anything nearby. I guess I've been watching too much news; these crazy people shooting random cars.
Old 09-14-16, 12:01 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
she told me it was clear up ahead. for some reason, my first thought was someone firing a weapon from up above but there was no overpass or anything nearby. I guess I've been watching too much news; these crazy people shooting random cars.
I've had rocks hit me on the interstate when it's seemingly clear ahead. Doubt it's gunfire unless you live in some part of Africa, Central America or Chicago
Old 10-06-16, 07:20 PM
GX460PREM
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danlnyc
I'm still here and yea I would like to read about your funny story lol.

Updates since my last post: Mom got rid of the GX and purchased another car, definitely not Lexus. I'm not sure what happened to the youtube link but I just reuploaded it: LEXUS GX470 WINDOW EXPLODES FOR NO REASON - YouTube

Dad got a new ES350H though, he was very impressed with the luxury and the gas mileage.
danlnyc...
Did Lexus Corp. eventually covered for the rear window replacement or you had to use the comprehensive insurance coverage? My moon roof on my GX460 exploded on the interstate and want to find out if I need to contact Lexus Corp. directly or file a claim with my insurance for the defective glass panel. I'll definitely report the complaint to the NHTSA.