GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

A few questions for those that have a 2014 GX.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 02:08 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default A few questions for those that have a 2014 GX.

I'm noticing a few sounds and or functions now that we have a few hundred miles on it and wanted to compare for the sake of normalcy vs, needs to go in.

1) After you start the GX and then shift from park to reverse or drive, after you let go of the foot brake pedal, do you hear a solenoid disengage? Kind of like a delayed clicking sound? I'm thinking this is the shift interlock solenoid on a timer of some sort. If its normal, then so be it.

2) Every time you push the brake pedal with your foot, you can hear a squish (either vacuum or fluid) sound on the first part of the brake engagement?

3) We run the A/C in Auto mode and the outside or recir air in auto mode. I have yet to be able to get the GX to switch automatically from recirc to fresh air. I can manually set it. I have not seen it automatically change though. I have even toned down the smog setting to the lowest setting to try and induce the change, yet it stays on recirc in auto mode. Additionally the inside temp is not at an extreme where the system would not be able to keep up with it and therefore keep it in recirc mode.

I would appreciate some input on these.

Truly enjoying the GX though in every aspect. Its like day and night compared to the MDX we had. I have not enjoyed an SUV this much since our 99' Ford Expedition or 93' 4Runner.

Thanks,
Randy B
Old 02-23-14, 04:08 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy B
I'm noticing a few sounds and or functions now that we have a few hundred miles on it and wanted to compare for the sake of normalcy vs, needs to go in.

1) After you start the GX and then shift from park to reverse or drive, after you let go of the foot brake pedal, do you hear a solenoid disengage? Kind of like a delayed clicking sound? I'm thinking this is the shift interlock solenoid on a timer of some sort. If its normal, then so be it.

2) Every time you push the brake pedal with your foot, you can hear a squish (either vacuum or fluid) sound on the first part of the brake engagement?

3) We run the A/C in Auto mode and the outside or recir air in auto mode. I have yet to be able to get the GX to switch automatically from recirc to fresh air. I can manually set it. I have not seen it automatically change though. I have even toned down the smog setting to the lowest setting to try and induce the change, yet it stays on recirc in auto mode. Additionally the inside temp is not at an extreme where the system would not be able to keep up with it and therefore keep it in recirc mode.

Truly enjoying the GX though in every aspect. Its like day and night compared to the MDX we had. I have not enjoyed an SUV this much since our 99' Ford Expedition or 93' 4Runner.

Thanks,
Randy B
Hi Randy,

I haven't noticed that on your first question, second question, yes, that's normal. 3rd question, I haven't run the AC in mine yet. I have had a lot of experience with snow and ice.
Old 02-24-14, 04:21 AM
Revnitup
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Randy,

I'm hearing the same thing on my 14' in the morning when you first start as well and go in reverse. I though it was the headlights or something. Well I guess it's normal if both of ours are doing it.
Old 02-24-14, 04:42 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by Revnitup
Randy,

I'm hearing the same thing on my 14' in the morning when you first start as well and go in reverse. I though it was the headlights or something. Well I guess it's normal if both of ours are doing it.
Rev: Is that on the shifting part of my questions? If so, good to know. Especially if a few others chime in.

Craig B: Thanks for reinforcing the second question. Also, sorry you have not had a chance to really use the A/C.

Randy B
Old 02-24-14, 07:19 AM
Moonlite
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,
Randy B
I just hit only 100 milles and will pay attention to your questions.
It's my first gx therefore; I need to learn and have a lot of questions too and hope CL will help me out.
1. When you shift fr P to D (it's passing R) I see side mirrors tilt down and up right back in a very short second. Is this normal or you have to shift P to D very quick that I didn't not try yet?
2. The Rear wiper is not swing 180 degree like other cars ( I mean 3/4 of the window only) Is this the way it works because of hidden wiper?
3. Are you order Weathertech from Amazon or directly fr them? I am confuse for the rear (2nd row) it's from 4 Runner in Amazon site. Does it fit on the rear GX?
Thank you
Aaron
Old 02-24-14, 08:00 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moonlite
I just hit only 100 milles and will pay attention to your questions.
It's my first gx therefore; I need to learn and have a lot of questions too and hope CL will help me out.
1. When you shift fr P to D (it's passing R) I see side mirrors tilt down and up right back in a very short second. Is this normal or you have to shift P to D very quick that I didn't not try yet?
2. The Rear wiper is not swing 180 degree like other cars ( I mean 3/4 of the window only) Is this the way it works because of hidden wiper?
3. Are you order Weathertech from Amazon or directly fr them? I am confuse for the rear (2nd row) it's from 4 Runner in Amazon site. Does it fit on the rear GX?
Thank you
Aaron
Aaron,

1) When you have L or R selected on the mirrors the tilt down feature will occur. If you place the L or R in neutral (Neither selected) the tolt down feature will not occur.

2) The rear wiper is functoining correctly.

3) I ordered the Weathertechs from Weathertech as a package on EBay for front and second row as it was cheaper than front row and second row indivudally. They listed it under 2014 Lexus GX floor liners.

Randy B
Old 02-24-14, 08:23 AM
Moonlite
Rookie

Aaron,

1) When you have L or R selected on the mirrors the tilt down feature will occur. If you place the L or R in neutral (Neither selected) the tolt down feature will not occur.

2) The rear wiper is functoining correctly.

3) I ordered the Weathertechs from Weathertech as a package on EBay for front and second row as it was cheaper than front row and second row indivudally. They listed it under 2014 Lexus GX floor liners.

Randy B
Randy
Thank you for your answers to my questions.
I need to ask more clear in my first question. I need to drive from Park position (P) I shift gear to Drive (D) position that mirrors movement happen as I described above. I am not try to select L or R in this case.
Aaron
Old 02-24-14, 08:26 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by Moonlite
Randy
Thank you for your answers to my questions.
I need to ask more clear in my first question. I need to drive from Park position (P) I shift gear to Drive (D) position that mirrors movement happen as I described above. I am not try to select L or R in this case.
Aaron
The tilt down feature only happens if you select R. They should not in any other selection.

Randy B
Old 02-24-14, 08:56 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I know the sound you are talking about on question 1, it's normal. My brother has a 4 Runner, I had a 2012 4Runner as well and we both had that sound too. I have it now but I am so used to it now I don't hear it.
Old 02-24-14, 12:13 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Yeah I hear the first sound too. Probably headlights.

Also, does anyone who backs out of their garage have a clunk or groan noise after you stop and shift from R to D, and start to drive?

I can't really tell if this is the brakes, or possible something in the transmission or transfer case/4WD system re-engaging.
Old 02-24-14, 12:22 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Yeah I hear the first sound too. Probably headlights.

Also, does anyone who backs out of their garage have a clunk or groan noise after you stop and shift from R to D, and start to drive?

I can't really tell if this is the brakes, or possible something in the transmission or transfer case/4WD system re-engaging.
No noise on mine...
Old 02-24-14, 12:27 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Craig B
No noise on mine...
It seems to be kind of a groaning noise that coincides with the brakes being released.

Here is the sequence of events:

-Start GX

-Shift from park to Reverse

-Back up, come to complete stop

-Shift to Drive

-Groaning noise as I release the brake pedal and drive off
Old 02-24-14, 12:32 PM
cubu
Rookie

1. not sure... will report back
2. yes
3. Auto vent/recirculate works for me, i turned auto off so it would stay on recirculate. Have you checked the pollen filter setting?
Old 02-24-14, 12:34 PM
cubu
Rookie

Is your GX brand new? sounds like the brake pad and rotor needs to be broken in

Originally Posted by SecPole14
-Groaning noise as I release the brake pedal and drive off
Old 02-24-14, 01:14 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cubu
Is your GX brand new? sounds like the brake pad and rotor needs to be broken in
Yeah it's a 2014, but has 3000 miles now so everything should be broken in.

It doesn't make that noise or any other odd noises any other times.

Quick Reply: A few questions for those that have a 2014 GX.