GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Advice on GX Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 01:20 PM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect feedback guys...much appreciated.

We have an appointment to test drive a GX460 with the Comfort Package on Thursday. Just don't need the Technology or Entertainment packages features. Garmin does the GPS thing for us since it can be programmed for a trip on the computer and downloaded to the Garmin device.

I was surprised at the lack of GXs in the Sacramento and Bay Area of CA. They must not be that popular. We will see what a dealer can turn up when pressed. Concord Toyota has just two new ones with the Comfort Package.

Used ones are generally high mileage and older. Folks must keep them for a long time. If a low mileage lease return showed up it would be tempting. Oddly, the price new and used is not that far apart.

In the area of the Lexus dealer is an Acura dealer and a Toyota dealer. Those will be visited as well to establish a baseline about what is out there.
Old 02-18-14, 01:52 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GWD
Perfect feedback guys...much appreciated.

We have an appointment to test drive a GX460 with the Comfort Package on Thursday. Just don't need the Technology or Entertainment packages features. Garmin does the GPS thing for us since it can be programmed for a trip on the computer and downloaded to the Garmin device.

I was surprised at the lack of GXs in the Sacramento and Bay Area of CA. They must not be that popular. We will see what a dealer can turn up when pressed. Concord Toyota has just two new ones with the Comfort Package.

Used ones are generally high mileage and older. Folks must keep them for a long time. If a low mileage lease return showed up it would be tempting. Oddly, the price new and used is not that far apart.

In the area of the Lexus dealer is an Acura dealer and a Toyota dealer. Those will be visited as well to establish a baseline about what is out there.
I look forward to reading your write up with thoughts from the test drives and inspections. Do yourself another favor while you are headed out to these lots, bring a set of golf clubs and one bag that you would normally pack for clothing. That will give you an idea with half of the load where you are with each ride. Nothing to lose at this point, and all to gain.

Randy B
Old 02-19-14, 06:40 AM
NoDak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4704ME
I almost purchased a Sequoia but couldn't get over how unrefined it is. That was my fault for comparing it against the GL, Q7, and GX.
i was going by the storage space the OP was needing. if they want more storage space behind the 2nd row, then a sequoia/LX570 is the only way to go unless you want to get a minivan.

the space behind the 2nd row is almost 2cuft bigger in the sequoia than the GX behind the 1st row.
Old 02-20-14, 07:06 PM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Well guys, I'm out of the GX market. It is more truck than I need. Plus, the swinging rear door won't clear our boat trailer structure.

A test drive found it large and cumbersome. Many of the features would never be used. The cargo space and folding seats (2nd row) were below expectation.

Make no doubt about it, the GX is a fine truck but we were looking for something like a larger RX. It turns out that mini-vans from Nissan and Honda fit the bill quite nicely.

It took some convincing for my wife to leave the Lexus brand but the test drive sealed it.

Thanks to all!
Old 02-20-14, 07:20 PM
GX4704ME
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about your needs being met and it sounds like the GX came up short. Luckily you did your homework and found this out now as opposed to post purchase.
Old 02-21-14, 01:55 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Good luck.

Originally Posted by GWD
Well guys, I'm out of the GX market. It is more truck than I need. Plus, the swinging rear door won't clear our boat trailer structure.

A test drive found it large and cumbersome. Many of the features would never be used. The cargo space and folding seats (2nd row) were below expectation.

Make no doubt about it, the GX is a fine truck but we were looking for something like a larger RX. It turns out that mini-vans from Nissan and Honda fit the bill quite nicely.

It took some convincing for my wife to leave the Lexus brand but the test drive sealed it.

Thanks to all!
GWD,

If you need the luxury segment, make sure you give the Acura or Inifiniti a test drive. If not, I think you will find it hard to pass on the drive of a Honda Odyssey. in the minivan group.

Randy B
Old 02-21-14, 02:27 PM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate the advice.

The 2014 Odyssey EX-L was purchased today. Just over $31,000 plus all of the license, fees, 8% sales tax, and other nonsense (!). All the other dealers couldn't come close on the price. At least 20 emails were sent out with my offer. Consumer Reports, US News, Edmunds, AutoTrader, and Cars.com were used to hunt down the vehicle that was wanted. Now the task will be to clean up the spam.

It will all shake out to just over $34K when the dealer acquires the model with wife satisfying colors inside and out. He has to negotiate a trade with another dealer but has located several vehicles in the area that will work. We will see how it all works out.
Old 02-21-14, 03:03 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Originally Posted by GWD
I appreciate the advice.

The 2014 Odyssey EX-L was purchased today. Just over $31,000 plus all of the license, fees, 8% sales tax, and other nonsense (!). All the other dealers couldn't come close on the price. At least 20 emails were sent out with my offer. Consumer Reports, US News, Edmunds, AutoTrader, and Cars.com were used to hunt down the vehicle that was wanted. Now the task will be to clean up the spam.

It will all shake out to just over $34K when the dealer acquires the model with wife satisfying colors inside and out. He has to negotiate a trade with another dealer but has located several vehicles in the area that will work. We will see how it all works out.
GWD, I sent you a PM. My last little bit.

Randy B
Old 02-21-14, 03:28 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GWD

Thanks to all!

it drives like a truck when you first get it. IT takes time to get used to.
Try the LX or sequoia for size. The GX is not that big.
Why you didnt get the sienna? Honda has issues with trannys and electrical issues
Old 02-21-14, 07:07 PM
GWD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
it drives like a truck when you first get it. IT takes time to get used to.
Try the LX or sequoia for size. The GX is not that big.
Why you didnt get the sienna? Honda has issues with trannys and electrical issues
The Sienna Limited is a very nice vehicle. The deal killer was the 2nd row treatment. They cannot easily be removed. They can be moved forward and then leaned further forward but we were looking to have them fold away and flat for maximum cargo space..

The Odyssey's second row can be completely removed. it leaves enough space for a 4x8 piece of plywood. No, we are not going to haul plywood. It is just a reference.

The GX did not have nearly the cargo space of the Odyssey.

You are right that the GX is not THAT huge. But it does handle like a truck. I think that the fact that we have a 2010 Tundra DC 5.7 was mentioned earlier. The similarity in handling to the Tundra was apparent as was the noticeable contrast to the handling of the RX. The Odyssey was the closest to the RX in feel that we could find in a mini-van.

In looking over the Consumer Reports rating of the recent Odysseys it was on par with the Sienna. The 2013 had top scores in all of the "issues" categories. I'm gambling that the 2014s will maintain that record especially with the 6-speed transmission.