GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

OEM Hitch / Tow Package

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 06:55 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Part 6

9) Figure 2-1 speaks of prep for the existing harness and figure 2-2 and 2-3 discuss how to handle it. Here are some color pics:

A) Harness with tape removed (Note the wire harness excess bundled up under the tape cover you removed):
Attached Thumbnails OEM Hitch / Tow Package-harness-with-tape-removed.jpg  
Old 02-01-14, 06:56 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Part 7

B) After you complete 2A-E the harness will look like this:
Attached Thumbnails OEM Hitch / Tow Package-harness-stretched-with-new-cover.jpg  
Old 02-01-14, 06:57 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Part 8

10) Page 5 of the instruction sheet is very straightforward and easy to follow. Again remember to sort all the different length bolts ahead of time. It will save you from using the wrong ones in the wrong holes.
11) Figure 5-1 and 5-2 explain the final installation of the completed wiring harness. When you have completed the install of the harness it will look like this:
Attached Thumbnails OEM Hitch / Tow Package-harness-attached-to-crossmember.jpg  
Old 02-01-14, 06:58 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Part 9

12) The balance of page 6&7 are easy to follow. Of special note is that the when you reassemble the air compressor cover, it will fit snugly and look out of alignment. The instruction sheet says as much as well, and that was reassuring enough to me, to believe I reassembled correctly.
13) The finished product looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails OEM Hitch / Tow Package-finsihed-hitch.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Philly01 (04-24-20)
Old 02-01-14, 06:58 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Part 10

14) Last note is the left over parts. This by design, not flaw. You will have the original harness mount, the two bolts that attached it to the cross member, and the two original bolts for the tow hook:
Attached Thumbnails OEM Hitch / Tow Package-left-over-parts.jpg  
Philly01 (04-24-20)
Old 02-01-14, 06:59 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Final

And that’s it. It took me just under ninety minutes on my back without jacking up the truck. I used a floor jack to balance one side of the hitch up against the frame while I lifted the other with my hands to get the bolts started. If I had to do this again, I’m quite sure it would be less than hour.

Of note, I am quite comfortable working on vehicles and have the air tools at the house. Pulling apart press clip fasteners is not exactly challenging for me. You be the judge, so you know when you are taking on too much of a job or not. If you are in Orlando and are completing this job, feel free to PM me and I’d be glad to drink your beer and supervise, ehh, I mean point out the highlights to ensure a smooth installation.

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 02-02-14 at 06:24 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Randy B:
Jetwag03 (03-22-20), Philly01 (04-24-20), TrubruGX (02-20-22)
Old 02-02-14, 06:07 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up. Did mine 2 years ago.

Love those wheels.
Old 02-02-14, 07:02 AM
jbc247
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great instructions!
Old 02-02-14, 07:38 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

I was shocked and grateful to find not only a full size spare, but also a correct finished rim on the spare tire. Now I can work that spare into the tire rotation.[/QUOTE]

My owners manual shows using the spare tire in the rotation.

Thanks for the detailed instructions Randy. I am sure this will help many now and in the future
Old 02-02-14, 10:15 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman

My owners manual shows using the spare tire in the rotation.
My 2 cents on Spare Tire Rotation. If you order Chromed Wheels, only four will be Chromed. If you do a Spare Tire Rotation, all your tires will wear out evenly. Problem is, if you want to change brands, you will have to buy 5 new Tires. Personally, I have them rotate front to back and always have a new spare, even though it may be a different brand.

~ Cap
tonyjh63 (11-14-20)
Old 02-02-14, 10:58 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Chrome wheels no go on 2014.

Originally Posted by Capirato
My 2 cents on Spare Tire Rotation. If you order Chromed Wheels, only four will be Chromed. If you do a Spare Tire Rotation, all your tires will wear out evenly. Problem is, if you want to change brands, you will have to buy 5 new Tires. Personally, I have them rotate front to back and always have a new spare, even though it may be a different brand.

~ Cap
Chrome wheels were not an option on 2014.

Randy B
Old 02-02-14, 11:10 AM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by Randy B

Chrome wheels were not an option on 2014.
They never have been an option. If you order your car with Chromed Wheels, they will be chromed locally or swapped with Chromed Wheels. Also, they are not covered under your warantee. In fact, once when I ordered Chromed Wheels, they only provided Four. When I complained, they said it was the industry policy to only chrome four. They offered me to get the spare chromed at their cost, which I declined.

~ Cap
Old 02-02-14, 12:10 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
They never have been an option. If you order your car with Chromed Wheels, they will be chromed locally or swapped with Chromed Wheels. Also, they are not covered under your warantee. In fact, once when I ordered Chromed Wheels, they only provided Four. When I complained, they said it was the industry policy to only chrome four. They offered me to get the spare chromed at their cost, which I declined.

~ Cap
My dealer installed Chrome wheels carry the same warranty that the vehicle carriers as per my dealer, also written on my service order.
Old 02-02-14, 02:08 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by Eppieguy

My dealer installed Chrome wheels carry the same warranty that the vehicle carriers as per my dealer, also written on my service order.
Perhaps your dealer is warranting the wheels, but a call to Lexus Headquarters will tell you that the Lexus Warrantee does not cover the Chrome wheels.

Perhaps if the wheel falls apart, but not if the Chrome starts to peel or discolor.

~ sf
Old 02-02-14, 02:35 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Default Guys not to bust your bubble...

The thread is about the hitch install. The spare rim was purely incidental. Perhaps a new thread on it if you want?

Randy B
The following 2 users liked this post by Randy B:
jtrue28 (04-27-20), tonyjh63 (11-14-20)

Quick Reply: OEM Hitch / Tow Package