GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking for a new SUV- any regrets from GX owners?

Old 01-16-14, 07:32 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by June8
I don't think there is a perfect vehicle that checks every box but the GX460 comes as close as it comes for my needs. I used to own a GX470 and loved it. Traded it in for a MB GL450 which had a nice ride but had a lot of things I did not like. For the last two weeks, I've looked at MDX, LR4, Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5, Mercedes ML 350, WW Touareg, Infiniti QX60, Audi Q7 and Q5. The only SUV that really impressed me with its handling was the Q5 but it had some other drawbacks for me. I purchased the GX460 Premium on Saturday and have no regrets whatsoever. MDX would have been my third choice.
I think you did the right thing. Every car has its quirks, but IMO the GX is a spectacular vehicle. My chief complaint is that people hate its looks. I personally find it quite masculine, but its really an acquired taste I think.
Old 01-16-14, 08:39 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info everyone. I am planning on test driving one this weekend. I agree that no car is "perfect." The problem with the minivan is that it's fairly loud, not a great ride, and our kids are at ages where we don't need that much space (we are out of the stroller, diapers and baby seat phase, thank goodness). And living in colorado I would love to have a family car with all wheel drive (we get quite a bit of snow where I live). I wouldn't go off road much, if at all, so that isn't a concern. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Kevin
Old 01-16-14, 10:26 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

VD,

We just came out of a 2007 MDX for a14 GX. While I'm no fan of the Barn door, I am of the capabilities and exuding confidence of the GX. The MDX was reliable, yet the FWD bias sucked. As well as it wasn't any good in mud, sand or truly off road.

Randy B
Old 01-16-14, 11:39 AM
MTLDean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came from a bunch of Wranglers and lately an Audi S4. I love the GX. Everyone seems to love the looks and the barn door is awesome!

It felt underpowered at first, but you have to get used to a lot of throttle travel to wake up the engine and drop a gear or two. That's the secret. once you get used to mashing the gas, the thing boogies no problem. I'd almost say it's spry...
Old 01-16-14, 11:40 AM
Herd72
Pit Crew

I do keep the vents pointed down. That is probably why I've never had a problem with the Bluetooth. So far it has worked just fine. Much better than on my Mercedes or my Sequoia. Of course the Benz is a 2007 so technology has doubtless improved.
Old 01-16-14, 03:25 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Reliability - +++++
Brakes - +
Old 01-16-14, 05:00 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 816 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I don't have a problem with Bluetooth with my vents open and on auto in my 2014. I never had a problem in my 2010 either...
I am curious about you Bluetooth phone users. I have given up on Bluetooth due to poor microphone quality and I can always tell if someone calls me on a headset and can defiantly tell if it is a car unit. I do not use Bluetooth as a courtesy to the person on the other end. Have any users of the GX had comments from the person on the other end?

Sorry to side track the thread purpose.
I bought my GX primarily for reliability reasons and honestly was not a big fan of the styling (as you can see on my modified GX thread).I hoped my next truck would have a power lift gate but I got the manual side gate (stop freaking pouring down rain some days). As far as underpowered, I am happy with low speed acceleration but not so happy with highway passing speeds. I do have the duel exhaust with the K&N air filter so I am guessing I may have a little more horse power. I had 03 MDX with 240HP and have better low speed acceleration with the GX.
Old 01-16-14, 06:29 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
I am curious about you Bluetooth phone users. I have given up on Bluetooth due to poor microphone quality and I can always tell if someone calls me on a headset and can defiantly tell if it is a car unit. I do not use Bluetooth as a courtesy to the person on the other end. Have any users of the GX had comments from the person on the other end?

I bought my GX primarily for reliability reasons and honestly was not a big fan of the styling (as you can see on my modified GX thread).I hoped my next truck would have a power lift gate but I got the manual side gate (stop freaking pouring down rain some days). As far as underpowered, I am happy with low speed acceleration but not so happy with highway passing speeds. I do have the duel exhaust with the K&N air filter so I am guessing I may have a little more horse power. I had 03 MDX with 240HP and have better low speed acceleration with the GX.
Only complaint I had about my Bluetooth was when I had the vents pointed up, otherwise I've never had a complaint. My Tahoe and Corvette I got complaints on but the Corvette is rather loud and the Tahoe was the first year for Bluetooth so I think that May have had something to do with it.
Old 01-16-14, 07:38 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

No complaints on the Bluetooth, in fact people have told me it is much easier to hear me than my other vehicles. I did have one time when the voice option could not find one of the contacts in my address book other than that AOK but I have only had it a little over a month - good so far.
Old 01-16-14, 07:50 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MTLDean
I came from a bunch of Wranglers and lately an Audi S4. I love the GX. Everyone seems to love the looks and the barn door is awesome!

It felt underpowered at first, but you have to get used to a lot of throttle travel to wake up the engine and drop a gear or two. That's the secret. once you get used to mashing the gas, the thing boogies no problem. I'd almost say it's spry...
I'd have to agree with this 100%. The first 500-1000 miles I drove it and my wife drove it...I thought I made a big mistake and it was a dog power wise. After I got used to it and learned to control the gears, the acceleration is pretty good. And this coming from a guy with a Cayenne S.
Old 01-17-14, 04:40 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman

It's not as good as talking on the handset. Yes, I've had people tell me the sound quality wasn't good and asked where I was calling from. I still use Bluetooth, I wouldn't own a vehicle without it.
Old 01-18-14, 03:27 AM
Revnitup
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My only complaint was not buying the premium model as it has seat heaters and cooled seats. My 14' base version does not. I did not know that until I went to look for the seat heater button. I thought it at least had seat heaters just not the cooled seats. Overall logged in 2,500 pleasant miles so far.
Old 01-22-14, 10:23 PM
KickinA
Rookie

I've had my 2014 Black\Sepia Premium GX460 since early December, here are my impressions of it:

CONs
-Navigation\Entertainment system has a very slow interface. My phone's GPS\Nav is 100x faster and better. It is so slow to input a destination address into the Nav system, that I'd rather use my phone (Nokia Lumia 1520)
-Entertainment system has crashed a couple of times since I've had it. Luckily, every time you stop\start the car the system gets restarted
-Leather has a very course grain that does not look or feel very high quality
-cargo space is relatively small for the car's size
-not many storage pockets around the car
-Premium does not include cargo cover (seriously?)
-Premium does not include roof cross bars (really??)

PROs
-confidence inspiring on road handling (coming from a BMW 530i sport)
-feels like a vault and is rock solid
-Relatively quiet on the highway when cruising
-good seating position and commanding view of the road
-Sound system sounds *very* good (Premium. Not Mark and Levinson). Crystal clear highs and authoritative bass
-Bluetooth music streaming from my phone works great and sounds awesome
-Blind spot monitor works very well and is extremely useful when driving around. It even detects movement of any object around your car, even if its 10+ feet away and behind some bushes. Its like high-tech radar :-)
-LED front lights are very awesome and look great
-The engine sounds like a throaty V8 at start up and when you step on it, you hear it :-)
-Unique appearance. You won't see a lot of GX's on the road
-Looks awesome with the F-sport wheels on

In summary, I have no regrets. The Nav system sucks and is super slow, leather could be better and the cargo space is not huge, but these things don't bother me that much. Any Nav system is not going to be able to match the best Nav systems on smartphones nowadays.

However, I really like the way it handles, looks and sounds. There is plenty of space for the driver and passengers. The reliability and resale is top notch on this car so if I tire of it at some point, I should have no problem selling it.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for a new SUV- any regrets from GX owners?-wp_20131218_15_30_31_pro.jpg  
Old 01-23-14, 06:58 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

Black looks great with the new front end and f sports. Did your f sports come with michelin tires - just curious?
Old 01-23-14, 07:02 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

With a little zoom I see they are michelins. Same that I got with my f sports.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for a new SUV- any regrets from GX owners?