GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Does your GX460 Lean?
Yes: Low on the passenger side
57.14%
Yes: Low on the driver side
10.44%
No, I've measured on a flat grade and it's even
32.42%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

KDSS Lean

Old 05-03-14, 04:36 PM
tgergen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got the GX back after being in the shop for over a week.

They replaced the RR airbag (suspension). No help. They called Lexus and were advised to change FR spring. That seemed to help. Car is more level now. I measured when I got it home and RR is still 3/4" lower, but it's better, I suppose.

I had this issue with my 2004 GX. I brought it in and they "adjusted it". It was always level since then. Not sure why they just can't adjust the sensor on that side. Looks like we have 200 lbs in the RR, which we do not.

I crawled under the car and see the adjuster arms for each side. I may just mess with it myself. If I decide to do so, I will report my findings/results.

Last edited by tgergen; 05-19-14 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-06-14, 12:14 PM
tgergen
Rookie

Update... No, it isn't better. RR is 3/4" - 1" lower than LR.....same as before.

I plan to take it back in and write to Lexus as well...maybe post on social media too. I dunno, but how the car is sitting isn't right. I have yet to see another GX460 on the road, or parked, that has a gangster lean like mine.
Old 05-06-14, 12:44 PM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by tgergen
Update... No, it isn't better. RR is 3/4" - 1" lower than LR.....same as before.

I plan to take it back in and write to Lexus as well...maybe post on social media too. I dunno, but how the car is sitting isn't right. I have yet to see another GX460 on the road, or parked, that has a gangster lean like mine.
I haven't have a change to park my GX at a level surface to check if it is level or not, but one thing I noticed my truck front passenger sit lower at stop light or even while it moving, that what it cause for the truck to steer to the right? ( it is in sport mode) but after I switch to comfort mode or neutral mode the truck seem even up front and no more steer to the right, but now it start to steer to the left it suck I hope lexus would come up with something to fix this issues.
Old 05-06-14, 03:16 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Until you get it fixed, realize that your truck is being gangsta. This song will make you feel better about your truck, just give it a listen, I promise it will help.

Old 05-13-14, 04:06 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the same thing as I've been driving. Mine now has 1500 miles on it but noticed it early on as well. The hood line always looked line it was leaning to the passenger side.

I have not measured but will try over the next few days.
Old 05-13-14, 09:36 AM
tgergen
Rookie

UPDATE 5/13/4

I submitted the online service experience feedback form stating that I noticed the issue resurfaced when I returned home. I got a call the next day from the dealership wanting the car back in. The Service Manager told me they thought they had it resolved and apologized, etc. He has been in contact with HQ and they have advised him on other things to check, etc. When I picked up the car, it looked pretty good. However, when I returned home, it was obvious that it was not.

So, the car goes back in Friday (5/16). My guess is a bad sensor. Although the computer is supposed to level the vehicle based on load, etc, it can't do it if the input form the sensor is faulty. I don't know...I guess we will see.

I am glad Lexus is committed to resolving this....it renews my faith in the brand and their "pursuit of excellence".

I will post an update when available.

Last edited by tgergen; 05-16-14 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-13-14, 01:44 PM
tgergen
Rookie

Here is a pic from last week, when I got home from the dealership (1st failed repair attempt). Yeah, it's only about an inch lower in the RR.

You can see the difference a bit more when looking at the roof line compared to my garage door.

Old 05-14-14, 08:13 AM
icmoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same problem with my 2014 GX Lux with only 9000 miles on it. Same amount of lean.
It is embarrassing for people to notice the lean on my expensive Luxury SUV. I owned a 2010 Sequoia Plat for 4 years before the GX and never had this problem. It also had auto leveling air suspension.
Old 05-16-14, 10:34 AM
tgergen
Rookie

Update 5/16/14

I was scheduled to bring the GX in today for "measurements" that the "engineers" (at HQ) wanted them to take, etc.

I got a call this morning to NOT bring the car in. The Service Manager told me that several other GX's have reported the same issue and that the "engineers" now have the data they need. So apparently, this is not an isolated issue. They are working on determining the problem and solution. Thus, there is no need to bring in the car until they figure out the issue and solution. Once they determine the fix, they can order the parts in advance, etc.

My guess is a bad load/level sensor. I am thinking the sensor is providing bad data to the computer. I know they checked the computer and there were no faults. Although this would tell them if the sensor is not working, that doesn't mean the sensor is giving the computer bad/flawed data. That's my guess at the moment. It isn't rare that manufacturers get a bad batch for parts from suppliers. It is a fairly common thing.

I will post updates when I hear something new....for now, we (the other owners with the same issue and I) will just have to wait for engineering to figure it out.

Last edited by tgergen; 05-19-14 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 05:37 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is also 1" lower on the right.

tgergen that is good news, though I am reporting it this morning. Dealer is coming onsite to go over a few other technical issues. I don't agree with a bad load level sensor as in my opinion they probably only have one sensor for the entire rear. The load sensor is designed for front to rear not left to right.

I was pulling a 4500lbs trailer on the highway and it isn't much fun when you are on an angle. (1" is small, or big...that's relative)

Here's my other issues:
  • USB Ports no power, no data
  • Rear Climate Control, icon for locking out rear controls missing despite on manual
  • Enform was working when I left dealer now it always claims of a data connection problem.
Old 05-19-14, 08:24 AM
tgergen
Rookie

I actually crawled under the car a few weeks ago to look for anything obvious (broken components, etc.). I found what appeared to be 2 level/load sensors. Unlike my older 2004 GX (which were located near each rear hub assembly), these were mounted to the body just forward of the rear axle on both the right and left side of the vehicle. They were some sort of sensor....I assume a load/level senor based on what they connected to, and what they were providing input for. Based on what I saw (an adjustable push rod with dual heim joints), it certainly looked like a load/level sensor.

I wish I had the parts schematic or shop manual to say 100%, but I don't.

At any rate, it really doesn't matter as I am not going to mess with it! I am sure Lexus will figure it out. There appears to be quite a few with this issue based on what the service manager told me. I guess it got their attention, which is a good thing.

Last edited by tgergen; 05-19-14 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 08:38 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

I actually crawled under the car a few weeks ago to look for anything obvious (broken components, etc.). I found what appeared to be 2 level/load sensors. Unlike my older 2004 GX (which were located near each rear hub assembly), these were mounted to the body just forward of the rear axle. They were some sort of sensor....I assume a load/level senor based on what they connected to, and what they were providing input for. Based on what I saw (an adjustable push rod with dual heim joints), it certainly looked like a load/level sensor.

I wish I had the parts schematic or shop manual to say 100%, but I don't.

At any rate, it really doesn't matter as I am not going to mess with it! I am sure Lexus will figure it out. There appears to be quite a few with this issue based on what the service manager told me. I guess it got their attention, which is a good thing.
Ahh very interesting. I think that's good news if there are two sensors.

My dealer came by today and said he would contact his Lexus engineer rep about the problem.
Old 05-19-14, 08:49 AM
tgergen
Rookie

I BELIEVE them to be load/level sensors based on what I observed (where they connected, etc.). I am not 100% certain....I can't think of what else they would be based on what I saw.

I wish I had the shop manual to figure it out!
Old 05-19-14, 10:07 AM
teee1
Driver School Candidate

Default Update on GX460...

We have had our vehicle in to two different dealerships. Lexus has responded that the issue falls within "specs". This makes it an issue that they are unwilling to fix at this time. They also acknowledge that they do not have a solution at this time. I am attaching the measurements that were taken by Lexus of Stevens Creek of our particular GX460. They provided this sketch to us and attached some other information regarding the specific approach they take to measuring the vehicle. Our measurements fall within specs by 1/100th of a millimeter. Frustrating to say the least. They have noted that we are dissatisfied with the condition of the vehicle but there is no further action to be taken.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SService Co14032010360 copy.pdf (440.4 KB, 720 views)
Old 05-19-14, 12:48 PM
tgergen
Rookie

Thanks for the post teee1. I think that is total BS. I suspect my measurements at very close to yours as i noted the LR to RR difference was about 3/4", maybe slightly more.

There is no way they can honestly say that a sagging RR is "normal". Total BS IMHO. I will continue to press them until this gets resolved. I think if push comes to shove, they will not appreciate owners posting pictures of their vehicles with sagging RR's all over the net. I have a few contacts in the industry too...it's possible to get this issue posted to some major automotive publications websites, print publications, etc. if it comes down to it. I don't think that anybody who sees the pictures will think this is "normal" or acceptable, especially for a $70,000 "luxury" vehicle. It certainly wouldn't look good for Lexus to have this "reported", if you catch my drift.

However, for now, I am hoping for a solution to this issue so I don't have to go there.

If we do have to go there, I will converse with owners that have this issue offline.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KDSS Lean