GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models
View Poll Results: Does your GX460 Lean?
Yes: Low on the passenger side
57.38%
Yes: Low on the driver side
10.38%
No, I've measured on a flat grade and it's even
32.24%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

KDSS Lean

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-14, 06:55 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

so front springs are affecting rear leveling?
Old 07-31-14, 06:59 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

My truck look like it need the front and rear passenger sides fix, but hope just the front right would fix it?
Old 07-31-14, 07:38 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
That is Correct
Old 07-31-14, 07:39 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ohiois350
My truck look like it need the front and rear passenger sides fix, but hope just the front right would fix it?
I asked the same question. And was told yes, just the front.

Think about it. Jack up one of your front tires off the ground. The rear has to pivot with it, otherwise the rear tire will also come off the ground :-) Not to mention the frame would have to crack along with the body :-p

Last edited by looknow12; 07-31-14 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-31-14, 07:55 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
Makes total sense, think of it this way, you have a low or flat tire on the right front, the left rear sits up higher, same thing with spring height, lower on front right would make rear left go up. But..... with that being said, your front end should be lower on one side. Time to measure the front.
Old 07-31-14, 08:03 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Makes total sense, think of it this way, you have a low or flat tire on the right front, the left rear sits up higher, same thing with spring height, lower on front right would make rear left go up. But..... with that being said, your front end should be lower on one side. Time to measure the front.
my newer gx is not leaning, but one side is about 1 inch lower than the other. I measured it 2 days back. Less than 100 miles on odometer. Definitely no lean however visible to naked eye. I totally understand front affecting rear. I will measure fronts today
Old 07-31-14, 10:43 AM
mistabuyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the link looknow12. My dealership did acknowledge that there is a bulletin out for the suspension but my vehicle did not meet the requirements for the fix. Requirements were [1] vehicle was manufactured between January-March 2014 (I may have the months wrong, but its somewhere around there) and [2] the height difference between left and right needs to be >0.5 inches otherwise they say its within spec.

Has anyone with a Gen2 premium GX had Lexus fix the leaning?
Old 07-31-14, 10:54 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mistabuyer
Thanks for the link looknow12. My dealership did acknowledge that there is a bulletin out for the suspension but my vehicle did not meet the requirements for the fix. Requirements were [1] vehicle was manufactured between January-March 2014 (I may have the months wrong, but its somewhere around there) and [2] the height difference between left and right needs to be >0.5 inches otherwise they say its within spec.

Has anyone with a Gen2 premium GX had Lexus fix the leaning?
They told me less than that. he spec'd 1 or 2 mm.
Old 08-01-14, 08:20 AM
cubu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, i need to measure mine later. my 14 premium was pulling to the right, but a recent trip to the dealership fixed it, as far as i know they adjusted the alignment, third time was a charm.
Old 08-01-14, 09:09 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Default Everything Good now

The dealer installed the front right coil spring and everything looks great, and nice and even. Vehicle even handles better than before.

The explanation is that because the GX is shipped worldwide, the spring rates are calculated based on where equipment is installed. For example right hand drive. Those vehicles have more equipment on the right side. Plus the manager also told me this or other configurations even move the fuel tank. As such, the spring rate of the US installed front right spring is incorrect. They have produced a new spring and it has fixed the problem.
Old 08-01-14, 12:11 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by looknow12
The dealer installed the front right coil spring and everything looks great, and nice and even. Vehicle even handles better than before.

The explanation is that because the GX is shipped worldwide, the spring rates are calculated based on where equipment is installed. For example right hand drive. Those vehicles have more equipment on the right side. Plus the manager also told me this or other configurations even move the fuel tank. As such, the spring rate of the US installed front right spring is incorrect. They have produced a new spring and it has fixed the problem.
Well done getting to the bottom of this!
Old 08-01-14, 12:45 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by looknow12

so your right side rear was sagging, and Lexus replaced right front coil spring around strut?
Old 08-04-14, 12:22 PM
igorskiy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finnaly someone had it fixed...it's just killing me how dealers explain the lean problem..."withing the specs" is the best they could come up with...50-60k vehicle looks like crap from behind...I guess the reason they reply this way is because they had recall on gx460 for traction problem and now the lean problem recall would cost a lot...the good thing is that someone resolved the problem and thanks to those people who post it in this forum...it will help everybody with this problem...
Old 08-14-14, 05:22 AM
VFR182
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 leans horribly

got the air ride, huge mistake as we dont tow, wife wanted options that only came with air ride. we have 30K on the vehicle from new. it has been in the dealership a dozen times over the leaning. it is so bad i cant believe when it goes around corners it doesnt bottom out the the passenger side. lexus is getting aggresive at corporate and threatened to send me to legal? i dont know what that means i havent asked for anything at all except my 75K truck to drive correctly. they said parts are 3 to 6 months away. wont provide a letter simply stating vehicle is safe for my family to drive under current condition. I am not in to attorneys and have never ever had an issue with a vehicle that is usually easily remedied but is it time to go for a lemon law deal over this? i dont think anyone wins but at the end of the day if i have suspension issues in first 2 years that have resulted in the dealership replacing all sorts of sensors trying to fix it should whats going to happen when out of warranty? really concerned i made a huge mistake and should have gotten a mercedes gl or something. Dealer offered to trade in on a new 2014 gx without airride then if you can believe this tried to tell me they were deducting 10K from the value of the 2013 due to the suspension issue!!!!! i almost lost my mind.
Old 08-14-14, 07:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

I contacted my service advisor and he put in my VIN for the suspension fix and nothing comes up. Does anyone know when this TSB will be official?

Quick Reply: KDSS Lean