GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

First Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-13, 07:38 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Road Trip

Had my leftover '13 GX Premium for three weeks today. Drove about 400 miles today in pretty heavy traffic. Got just about 19.5 MPG - I'll take it! Also realized it has a hella big blind spot when trying to change lanes (do not have the warning- wish I did). Ride is smooth as silk. Steering seems a tad touchy but I am coming from a Sequoia. Discovered the sliding armrest is useless with a travel cup in the cup holder. Storage behind second seat seems really cramped but once again, coming from a Sequoia. Overall, fast becoming a fan if this vehicle but taking a while to adjust to it's little quirks.

Last edited by Herd72; 12-27-13 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Bad autocorrect!
Old 12-27-13, 10:35 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it will get as high as 24 mpg on highway if your gentle with throttle.
blind spot is bad, i put the wide angle mirrors - it helps - at night however, entire mirror is black and the blind spot mirrors are not.
steering is loose at all speeds, Koz stated a while back it has speed sensitive steering but i see no official documentation of that.
cargo space is very little as youre seeing.
what was wrong with sequoia. did you have prior generation? the current one is a behemoth
Old 12-28-13, 04:10 AM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Thanks for the response. I am going to put the blind spot mirrors on ASAP. There was really nothing wrong with the Sequoia except it was just so darn big and mpg sometimes was as low as 11 around town. It was a 2007. I was looking to get another 4Runner but fell for the heated and cooled seats, folding mirrors, MLev sound, etc. I am sure once I adjust to the change it will be OK.
Old 12-29-13, 08:42 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Blind spot mirrors helped a lot. 20.7 mpg on my return trip and just over 1,00 0 miles so far. Figuring this thing out. Used the detour function - worked great around traffic. Only hang ups now are can't get auto dimming headlights to work ( they are on my sticker) and can't get music to stream from my iPhone 5s through Bluetooth. Can make calls, etc. it keeps asking for a pass code when I try to set it up. No pass code on my phone - fingerprint reader takes care of that. She gets a bath and vacuum tomorrow, Weathertech's go in. clay bar and wax was last week. Leather care is this week. Once she is all cleaned up it will snow like heck!
Old 12-30-13, 07:50 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Herd72
Blind spot mirrors helped a lot. 20.7 mpg on my return trip and just over 1,00 0 miles so far. Figuring this thing out. Used the detour function - worked great around traffic. Only hang ups now are can't get auto dimming headlights to work ( they are on my sticker) and can't get music to stream from my iPhone 5s through Bluetooth. Can make calls, etc. it keeps asking for a pass code when I try to set it up. No pass code on my phone - fingerprint reader takes care of that. She gets a bath and vacuum tomorrow, Weathertech's go in. clay bar and wax was last week. Leather care is this week. Once she is all cleaned up it will snow like heck!
You have to pair your phone in order for Bluetooth to work.
Old 12-30-13, 08:07 AM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Thanks, my phone must be paired because I can answer and make calls with the system in the GX and when I push Siri, the GX takes over. I was trying to stream music from the phone through the stereo system via Bluetooth. It gets so far then asks for the pass code but my phone uses the fingerprint reader instead. Not really a critical thing but I think it will do it, just can't figure out how. Thanks for the reply, I am really learning a lot on the forum.
Old 12-30-13, 08:39 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks, my phone must be paired because I can answer and make calls with the system in the GX and when I push Siri, the GX takes over. I was trying to stream music from the phone through the stereo system via Bluetooth. It gets so far then asks for the pass code but my phone uses the fingerprint reader instead. Not really a critical thing but I think it will do it, just can't figure out how. Thanks for the reply, I am really learning a lot on the forum.
Even though you use the fingerprint reader, your iPhone 5s still has a passcode. You need a passcode to setup TouchID. So if you can remember that number than you should be all set.
Old 12-30-13, 09:54 AM
Herd72
Pit Crew

I have it written down if I can only find it. Old retired coaches + technology = frequent confusion! Thanks for the advice! ��
Old 12-30-13, 10:08 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pair your phone within the audio controls as well as phone controls, 2 places. Had the same issue myself.
Old 12-30-13, 11:11 AM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Thanks Eppieguy, I figured it was just something like that, but being new to Lexus. I decided to ask for help. Have a joyous, safe and prosperous New Year! ��
Old 12-30-13, 11:24 AM
Craig B

Thanks Eppieguy, I figured it was just something like that, but being new to Lexus. I decided to ask for help. Have a joyous, safe and prosperous New Year! ��
I disabled the stupid passcode on my I Phone 5S. What a pain every time you want to use your phone. Stupid feature in my opinion...
Old 12-30-13, 12:29 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

I did too but the GX kept asking for the phone's pass code. That was the point I could not get past. Agree about it being pretty useless.
Old 12-30-13, 02:08 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I did too but the GX kept asking for the phone's pass code. That was the point I could not get past. Agree about it being pretty useless.
I thought it was 0000
Old 12-30-13, 03:47 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
I disabled the stupid passcode on my I Phone 5S. What a pain every time you want to use your phone. Stupid feature in my opinion...
Until you lose your phone and the person who finds your phone orders themselves a new lexus with your google wallet.
Old 12-30-13, 03:52 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by JohnJerk
Until you lose your phone and the person who finds your phone orders themselves a new lexus with your google wallet.
I've had cell phones since 1989 and have never lost one. I agree, if you are someone who can't keep track of your phone. You can also lock your phone via I Cloud if you lose your phone and it makes it useless.....

Quick Reply: First Road Trip