GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Took the plung...again...traded '13 for '14

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 01:34 PM
Ceenit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the plung...again...traded '13 for '14

I did what I said I would never do, and that is trade a car early, or trade a car in at a dealership for that matter. I tyipically drive the wheels off my cars before getting rid of, but I couldn't help the splurge.

In this case I traded my 1 year old ''13GX which I absolutely loved for the '14GX. I just like the look of the '14 model, technically, that's the only reason to do it as just about everythink else is the same.

My new one comes in in the next 30-60 days and they said I can keep driving my old one till the new one comes in.

They gave me a decent trade on my '13GX w/ about 16k miles. The '14 premium is pretty much apples to apples with a few trade outs of options between the cars (new car has blind spot moitor and hitch, while the old car had the glass breakage and remote start (whcih never got used).

Pretty psyched...i rationalized the dolalr difference by looking at the value of the difference of mileage, upcoming minor maintenance(oil change, etc), extra year warranty, extra year substcriptions service, wear/tear (tires etc, and then the value to me of the syleing and a few software feature differences.

All in all, I'm very happy with the deal. Availabilty fo rthe exact model I wanted was pretty tough, that's why Ive got to wait the 30-60 days....but driving the '13 at 'no cost' for that time period makes for a great 'loaner'.
Old 11-26-13, 01:45 PM
Revnitup
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats. I hope it arrives early for you before Christmas. I know how hard it is waiting. What color Int. & Ext.?
Old 11-26-13, 02:00 PM
Ceenit
Driver School Candidate

We went with the Saphire Peal exterior (same as on my '13)
and the Sepia interior (the '13 had ecru)

We though a good bit before changing the interior color because I really like the interior Ecru color combo. But in the end, keeping the Ecru clean was a real pain. Any time you wear jeans on those seats, it turns the edges of the seat blue. Easy enough to clean with some leather conditioner/clearer. We even bought the '$800 stain protection package on the old car' becuase we had heard about the way the ecru pick up jean color.

In the end, the Sepia was defintiely the way to go for us. A bit less maintenance, and I went without the 'leather protection' upcharge this time. I'm sure it will bite me :O
Old 11-26-13, 05:23 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceenit
I did what I said I would never do, and that is trade a car early, or trade a car in at a dealership for that matter. I tyipically drive the wheels off my cars before getting rid of, but I couldn't help the splurge.

In this case I traded my 1 year old ''13GX which I absolutely loved for the '14GX. I just like the look of the '14 model, technically, that's the only reason to do it as just about everythink else is the same.

My new one comes in in the next 30-60 days and they said I can keep driving my old one till the new one comes in.

They gave me a decent trade on my '13GX w/ about 16k miles. The '14 premium is pretty much apples to apples with a few trade outs of options between the cars (new car has blind spot moitor and hitch, while the old car had the glass breakage and remote start (whcih never got used).

Pretty psyched...i rationalized the dolalr difference by looking at the value of the difference of mileage, upcoming minor maintenance(oil change, etc), extra year warranty, extra year substcriptions service, wear/tear (tires etc, and then the value to me of the syleing and a few software feature differences.

All in all, I'm very happy with the deal. Availabilty fo rthe exact model I wanted was pretty tough, that's why Ive got to wait the 30-60 days....but driving the '13 at 'no cost' for that time period makes for a great 'loaner'.
Congratulations, I traded my 2010 GX for the 2014 as well...
Old 11-27-13, 07:06 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

congrats.
i didnt have the heart to spend another $20k on a gx with cosmetic upgrades when ours is perfect and still practically new. Ive seen the new spindle in person, looks good.
I will drive my current gx into the ground. I sold my 2000 corolla and it never gave me a single trouble, and i expect the same out of the GX.
Old 11-27-13, 07:11 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Dealers must love you
Old 12-12-13, 02:39 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Default Can you give me some guidance?

Read your thread about the ecru. Just bought a leftover loaded up 2013 Premium yesterday - every possible option. Was ordered for a local coal operator who cancelled once the war on coal started ( I live in WV). Star fire with ecru. Could you let me know what kind of leather cleaner you used on it. Jeans are about all I wear now (retired) and would hate to wreck the seats on a vehicle pretty far north of 60K. Do all jeans mess them up or just certain pairs? Any info would be appreciated.
Jim in WV
Old 12-12-13, 03:52 PM
SpokeBroke
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately the dye in blue jeans seem to transfers to the leather. Levis 514's have given me no problem. They are jeans that come in tan, grey, khaki, etc.
Old 12-12-13, 03:56 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Default Thanks SpokeBroke

I will try those Levi's. 🙊
Old 12-12-13, 04:18 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 817 Likes on 568 Posts

I had a leather tech spray my drivers seat. He has been in the business for along time and works with major Corvette groups and he told me to use something like 409 or other degreaser and cut it 50% with water and scrub with a brush every few months. Sounds harsh to me but it is his profession . He said the scrubbing with a soft brush will not hurt it but it will get deeper than a cloth to remove dirt and body oils He also said do not use leather cleaner/conditioners because they do not work and that they are 99% water.
Old 12-12-13, 04:29 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

My dad suggested old fashioned saddle soap. He has been using it on his leather seats for years, he says. I am a bit skeptical, LOL. I had some blue already when I went to the garage to check and have only had it a day, of course some one else may have test driven it before me. Anyway, I used a tiny bit of Ivory soap on a cloth and it came right off. I think I may give Griot's Garage a call. The products I have ordered from them have been excellent but extra pricey.
Old 12-13-13, 11:36 AM
Ceenit
Driver School Candidate

Responded to your PM on this as well. I use Meguiar's Gold Class rich Leather cleaner and conditioner about once a month or so. Seems to lift the jeans coloring out with minimal effort. It has some moisturizers in it also which should help with the long term durability of the leather. No scrubbing or anything harsh that might hurt the leather.
Attached Thumbnails Took the plung...again...traded '13 for '14-9961669-origpic-97e7a5-1-.jpg  
Old 12-13-13, 11:40 AM
Ceenit
Driver School Candidate

sorry bout the lifesize image
Old 12-13-13, 01:50 PM
Herd72
Pit Crew

Default Thanks so much

Just bought a bottle and some soft terry towels. I will keep after it, I really like the look of the Ecru leather but was afraid I messed up getting it. PS, talked to a guy whose Bimmer has ivory seats and apparently they have it worse than we do! Thanks again.
Old 12-14-13, 03:09 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Congratulations. Please post pictures of your 2014 GX when you get it...