GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Vibration/Shake Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 07:15 AM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Seat Vibration Question

Ok, have 300 miles on my 2010GX Base. Love the car but I have an unusual problem. When I drive on uneven pavement and the other seats are empty, the vibrations coming into the car cause the rear seats and sometimes the front passenger seat to vibrate causing a vibration rattle. Third row seats are folded down so they are silent. Also, this does not happen when there is weight in the seats. You can actually see the seats vibrating or shaking. This happened a little bit on my 08GX470 but not as much as this. I am playing with the seats, making sure they are locked solid and trying different positions. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't know what the dealer can do but any advice would be appreciated. Love the truck otherwise. This is just strange and I'm sure it can be dealt with. Thanks.
Old 02-22-10, 09:49 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did not notice any seat vibration noise when I took the GX 460 for an extended test drive, but I may not have travelled over a road as bumpy as the one where you experience this problem.

Since you've checked that the seats are locked in place and this noise occurs consistently, you should probably take it to the dealer to have them look at it.
Old 02-23-10, 03:15 AM
sbpollo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed this with the right middle row seat. However, only intermittently, and has not been too distracting.
Old 02-23-10, 12:01 PM
carfanmd
Rookie

I moved the seats and relocked them. It is better now and I get the noise only every now and then (when going over a certain kind of road). Not too bothersome but its there. Will let the car settle in and see where we are at the 5000 mile service. When I had my first 2007 Lexus LS460 I noticed the wind noise and ultimately they came out with a TSB. Don't know if this is a defect or just something that must exist but it will be interesting to see. Otherwise the car is great.
Old 03-03-10, 05:26 PM
Resident
Driver School Candidate

I've noticed vibration/noise from seat belt somewhere in second row when driving over certain roads in the city only (not really bumpy places). But it doesn't bother me at all. I am really enjoying mine!!
Old 03-04-10, 11:31 AM
ybing
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My IS350 had a rattle from the driver seat after drove for a long distance, and they found out there is something lose in the seat or the attachment unit, the dealer replace the whole seat under warranty, its a several thousand dollar seat.
The following users liked this post:
markey11679 (09-07-23)
Old 03-06-10, 08:42 AM
carfanmd
Rookie

The rattle is still there both in the rear and passenger seat but only over wavy or roughish roads. You can see the seats shake. It could be the headrest but I'm not sure. Will monitor it. I notice there is a gap between the two rear seats so I will put some foam in to see if that helps. Any others having similar issues let me know please. Otherwise the car is very nice indeed.
Old 03-07-10, 02:49 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Now I have the passenger seat vibration noise. A friend rode with me yesterday and moved the seat. Today I drove with someone else in the passenger seat and it made noise even with someone in the seat. I tried to move the seat like it was before and will find out tomorrow if it helped. I'm not very happy, my vehcile also has about 300 miles on it. Next time I'm at the dealer, I will show it to them. Please let me know what you come up with. It not the headrest, but I can see the seat shake.
Old 03-08-10, 12:38 PM
carfanmd
Rookie

I am experimenting with a method for finding the rattle. It is clearly in the right rear passenger seat area. I have folded it down and will now drive to see if that solves it. If it does its clearly the seat itself when it is upright (probably the back) since it is not secured at all to the larger seat next to it and there is a visible gap between the seats. Stay tuned. If the noise goes away then I have it. If it does not then I don't. If it is the seat I'm not sure what the dealer can do about it but I will get to the bottom of it since I HATE RATTLES..........(used to be Lexus was so silent...)
Old 03-08-10, 02:41 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by carfanmd
I am experimenting with a method for finding the rattle. It is clearly in the right rear passenger seat area. I have folded it down and will now drive to see if that solves it. If it does its clearly the seat itself when it is upright (probably the back) since it is not secured at all to the larger seat next to it and there is a visible gap between the seats. Stay tuned. If the noise goes away then I have it. If it does not then I don't. If it is the seat I'm not sure what the dealer can do about it but I will get to the bottom of it since I HATE RATTLES..........(used to be Lexus was so silent...)
I still have the shaking front passenger seat. The head tech said that's normal, but it's not normal if it's making noise. I missed his call and put in another call to him. I live 110 miles each way from the dealer, so I might wait a while to take it in unless it really starts to bother me. Please let me know what you find.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-10, 07:39 PM
ybing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Craig B
I still have the shaking front passenger seat. The head tech said that's normal, but it's not normal if it's making noise. I missed his call and put in another call to him. I live 110 miles each way from the dealer, so I might wait a while to take it in unless it really starts to bother me. Please let me know what you find.

Thanks!
Try to record it with video, that will make it easier when you get to the dealer, the rattle on my old IS took several times to regenerate the problem
The following users liked this post:
markey11679 (09-07-23)
Old 03-09-10, 01:24 PM
carfanmd
Rookie

Ok so I put a towel on the side of the 2nd row rear right seat and jammed it down the side (between it and the two part seat next to it to fill the gap) and draped it down the front so it tucks in between the back and the seat itself. Looks like crap but no rattle. That tells me it is in that seat assembly area. I have a slight rattle in the front right area (probably the passenger seat) but you need to really listen for it and I don't care unless it is noticeable. Will speak to the dealer or come up with a way to leave the towel but make it look better. I don't have many 2nd row passengers so this may be my fix. Not worth back and forth and maybe them making it worse. However, it is clearly the seat not being secured enough to the one next to it. My old GX470 did not have as large a gap and maybe the seat was more secure. Stay tuned for further updates. I HATE RATTLES.....did I mention that?
Old 03-09-10, 01:51 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by carfanmd
Ok so I put a towel on the side of the 2nd row rear right seat and jammed it down the side (between it and the two part seat next to it to fill the gap) and draped it down the front so it tucks in between the back and the seat itself. Looks like crap but no rattle. That tells me it is in that seat assembly area. I have a slight rattle in the front right area (probably the passenger seat) but you need to really listen for it and I don't care unless it is noticeable. Will speak to the dealer or come up with a way to leave the towel but make it look better. I don't have many 2nd row passengers so this may be my fix. Not worth back and forth and maybe them making it worse. However, it is clearly the seat not being secured enough to the one next to it. My old GX470 did not have as large a gap and maybe the seat was more secure. Stay tuned for further updates. I HATE RATTLES.....did I mention that?
Thanks for the update. I also hate rattles. Mine is in the passenger seat and only does it on roads that aren't smooth.
Old 03-13-10, 12:14 PM
fins0608
Driver School Candidate

Like CARFANMD, I also had an 08 GX and now have a 10 GX. I noticed front seat shaking/vibration in both models. It never made much noise, but I can visibly see shaking/vibration when no one is sitting in the front passenger seat.
Old 03-13-10, 10:47 PM
ybing
Intermediate

I only have 50 miles on mine... still waiting to put the clear bra on, I hope there isn't a rattle on mines... I hate rattle a lot... I used to not put anything in my car to cause noise

Quick Reply: Vibration/Shake Issues