GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Sat in a 2014 GX today, disappointed in the interior material quality

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 12:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I'm not comparing the GS and GX for reliability reasons, I'm saying the GX is not reliable only because its based on the Prado. All Lexus vehicles for the most part are very reliable.

The GX is not "tougher" because it shares low end plastic interior materials with the ES. Thats like the argument in the 3IS forum that they removed all the electronic luxury features to make it "a purer drivers car". Its cost cutting. I'm not talking about chassis or suspension components, I'm talking about seat materials and design, and the dash and door panel material.

I totally don't see that, I've owned a lot of Toyota/Lexus vehicles and outside of the LS, the GS is certainly the most "solid" Lexus Toyota product I've ever had. All the interior materials are solid and high quality, the leather is thick and the seat bolsters are sturdy. Nothing sensitive to scuffing or abrading. Mine has 15k miles on it now and exhibits no seat leather wear or other interior wear, which was not the case with other Toyota/Lexus products I've had.

LOL, I've been posting on Lexus forums for over 10 years, and I administrate a different Lexus forum. I'm not a troll.

I'm not trying to stir trouble up here guys, I had an observation and a question...thats all.
The hard plastics are fine on the GX, it was designed to be luxurious yet still be tough and work ready. The LX also has some hard plastics. The GS is nice but I was a dissapointed in how strong some of the interior materials were. Some seemed a bit hollow and light to the touch.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-11-13 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 12:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I've sat in multiple LXs and have never felt any hard plastic...

Out of curiosity, what materials in the GS felt "hollow" to you?
Old 11-11-13, 01:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I've sat in multiple LXs and have never felt any hard plastic...

Out of curiosity, what materials in the GS felt "hollow" to you?

What LX models did you sit in?
Old 11-11-13, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The latest LX I've sat in both the base package and the Luxury package. Its been some years since I've driven one...

The LX has far, far better materials and attention to detail inside than the GX, which you would expect for the cost difference.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-11-13 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 01:50 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The latest LX I've sat in both the base package and the Luxury package. Its been some years since I've driven one...

The LX has far, far better materials and attention to detail inside than the GX, which you would expect for the cost difference.
Well go back and look, the LX570 has plastic all over the steering column. The second row over head vents are all plastic and most of the rear third passenger area is plastic in the lower parts.

GX is a fine truck, I would rather have the harder plastics for durability reasons than the soft stuff that feels hollow on the GS.
Old 11-11-13, 01:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well go back and look, the LX570 has plastic all over the steering column. The second row over head vents are all plastic and most of the rear third passenger area is plastic in the lower parts.
Of course air vents are going to be plastic. I'd much rather have hard plastic in the lower third of the third row passenger area that in the middle of the dashboard and the front passenger doors I'm going to feel every day. Doesn't change the fact that the LX has a much higher end feeling interior...which again as I said one would expect considering its $30,000 more expensive.

GX is a fine truck, I would rather have the harder plastics for durability reasons than the soft stuff that feels hollow on the GS.
The GX is certainly a fine truck, I just hate to see Lexus decontenting their products. Theres a huge difference inside between a Lexus from 10 years ago and a Lexus today, its a shame...and its not because they want the materials to be "more durable".

I don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the soft touch vinyl feeling hollow on the GS. I just drove home from work and i tapped on everything and nothing feels "hollow" to me. If you want hard plastic, perhaps a non-luxury vehicle is the better fit? If I'm going to pay $60,000 for something I want nice materials around me such as when I buy nice furniture.
Old 11-11-13, 02:53 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

While I love my GX, I think I have to agree to a certain extent with SW13GS about the interior being more plastic. Not that I care all that much but I feel there is definitely some cost cutting involved. There is less wood and the seats aren't as heavy and durable as the prior gen. One thing I also noticed is that when the windows are rolled down half way when I close the doors there is a clanking sound from the loose window versus a nice solid thud that the prior gen had.

This should be nothing new, many people have noticed the same thing with the ES even though it is a much better car than the previous gen ES'. While I understand everyone's annoyance with people that come on here and criticize the GX or Lexus in general, sometimes you have to be objective and see that some things he is saying may be true and are noticed by others. The GX is a great truck but it is not perfect (although it is pretty close IMO), no car, truck or brand is.
Old 11-11-13, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
While I understand everyone's annoyance with people that come on here and criticize the GX or Lexus in general, sometimes you have to be objective and see that some things he is saying may be true and are noticed by others. The GX is a great truck but it is not perfect (although it is pretty close IMO), no car, truck or brand is.
And it certainly is not my goal to be one of these people who come in and post negative crap to stir up trouble, I've been a strong proponent of stopping people who do that. Its just that sometimes people focus in on anything thats critical and blow it way out of proportion.

What I really was wondering was if material quality was reduced along with the price reduction for 2014.
Old 11-11-13, 03:30 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

What I really was wondering was if material quality was reduced along with the price reduction for 2014.
The material quality seems to be the same with the exception of the non-semi aniline leather. I have seen it in person and it looks different from the 2010-2013 model years. You can see the pics in one of the other threads. It is kind of spotty/bumpier than previous years.
Old 11-11-13, 03:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
The material quality seems to be the same with the exception of the non-semi aniline leather. I have seen it in person and it looks different from the 2010-2013 model years. You can see the pics in one of the other threads. It is kind of spotty/bumpier than previous years.
Yeah I saw that picture, if I were to get a GX I'd rather have the NuLuxe than that...
Old 11-11-13, 04:35 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I saw that picture, if I were to get a GX I'd rather have the NuLuxe than that...
Look, in some ways I'd like to live in the past as much as anyone, but the reality is it's not 1989 or 1999 anymore.....and by that I mean Lexus no longer has a monopoly on quality. Other makes have caught up, at least in material or "perceived" quality.

But does it matter if a Jeep has an Alcantara headliner and Nappa leather seats if the whole thing is screwed together by dudes who get drunk, high and krunkified on their factory breaks? Not to mention all the wonderful electrical gremlins they caught/inherited from the Germans and Italians?

No thanks. Lexus quality isn't the ultimate shining star it once was, but it's still there and still quite good....better than most.

And if someone told me I had to take a cross-country trip tomorrow and had to choose from a GX, Grand Cherokee, LR4, RR Sport, ML, GL, or X5, I'd choose the GX above all. Perhaps Yukon or Tahoe would be a second choice.

Last edited by SecPole14; 11-11-13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-11-13, 05:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Look, in some ways I'd like to live in the past as much as anyone, but the reality is it's not 1989 or 1999 anymore.....and by that I mean Lexus no longer has a monopoly on quality. Other makes have caught up, at least in material or "perceived" quality.
The issue is it's not just that other makes have caught up, Lexus has rolled back quality in these areas. THATS what I have a problem with. Lexus is reducing material and product quality with every generation while other carmakers are improving.

But does it matter if a Jeep has an Alcantara headliner and Nappa leather seats if the whole thing is screwed together by dudes who get drunk, high and krunkified on their factory breaks? Not to mention all the wonderful electrical gremlins they caught/inherited from the Germans and Italians?
The issues are electrical. The vehicle is very well built.

No thanks. Lexus quality isn't the ultimate shining star it once was, but it's still there and still quite good....better than most.
Better than most isn't good enough. Whatever happened to the relentless pursuit of perfection? Nowadays it's more like the haphazard maintaining of mediocrity.

If you'd choose a GX over a new RR Sport for a cross country trip you haven't seen a new RR sport lol.
Old 11-11-13, 05:14 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
It's the first time I was thinking to go lookup for the ignore list ;-)
I'm a monitor at another automotive forum and that's one of the biggest issues, people arguing on a forum and getting mad about it, ignore feature needs to be utilized much more. It sure would make my job easier.
Old 11-12-13, 06:18 AM
tmldds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue is it's not just that other makes have caught up, Lexus has rolled back quality in these areas. THATS what I have a problem with. Lexus is reducing material and product quality with every generation while other carmakers are improving.

The issues are electrical. The vehicle is very well built.

Better than most isn't good enough. Whatever happened to the relentless pursuit of perfection? Nowadays it's more like the haphazard maintaining of mediocrity.

If you'd choose a GX over a new RR Sport for a cross country trip you haven't seen a new RR sport lol.
Sorry, Steve. I respectfully disagree. I would never consider taking a RR on a long trip since the brand is well known for not being reliable. It would not be a nice experience calling for a tow truck because of other reasons than damaged tires! To clarify, the RR's look very nice, but I would never buy one. After all, a vehicle is no good unless it can safely and reliably get you from point A to B every single time with everything inside it properly functioning. I have had my share of nonfunctional A/C in a $100,000+ S-class and have no desire to experience that again! I would take the "downgraded leather and plastic" any day as long as it runs perfectly instead of "fancy" English leather and wood!
Old 11-12-13, 10:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmldds
I would take the "downgraded leather and plastic" any day as long as it runs perfectly instead of "fancy" English leather and wood!
Thats just the thing...what we should be able to have from Lexus, and what we used to have was a well built vehicle with excellent materials and runs perfectly.

Reliability is another one of those things that these other companies are improving too. Look at Audi, they're now #4? Who would have thought that 10 years ago? Its not enough just to be "reliable" in the luxury market.

Look at the sales performance, Lexus has slipped from #1, to #2 and now #3.

Quick Reply: Sat in a 2014 GX today, disappointed in the interior material quality