GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX460 with Alligator Seats & Ford Tail Lights

Old 10-17-13, 07:59 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xenon ABLs are brutally expensive and complicated. I'm not surprised that Lexus did away with them. LEDs are much less complex, cheaper, and draw even less power. I don't think the LEDs auto-level or anything like that, hopefully the don't need to. I don't think LEDs are prone to cut-off and angle as badly as Xenons are, so auto-level isn't essential.
Old 10-18-13, 03:58 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig B
Hi Chris, Someone said it doesn't have the feature where the headlights move when you turn the steering wheel like my current GX 460. I don't know about the auto leveling feature. They have my vehicle over in the old shop sitting on a lift waiting for my wheels to come back from Detroit Wheel and Tire. I'm having them chrome plated. I will let you know. I talked to Tom a couple times yesterday when I was there with my LS 460. I know it has the power folding mirrors, but don't know about the auto fold feature. Since it's sitting on a lift, one of the service guys got inside and turned on the headlights, but couldn't tell me about the mirrors. I hope to take delivery by the end of them month. Mike in parts said best case that's when my wheels will be back. They shipped the
wheels off Monday as soon as my vehicle arrived. It has to be cleaned up, it still has plastic on the hood from shipping.
Sounds good, let me know what your thoughts are once you take delivery.
Old 10-18-13, 04:09 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T4Fun
Yes the 2014 does not have the adaptive headlight feature.
I don't think it really helps anyway all that much.
I love that feature, when you live on a dark country road that has lots of curves and hills that you drive every day before the sun comes up it is very nice and also noticeable. It does help. But if you primarily drive during the day and on well-lit roads with no curves the feature probably would not help much. It’s one of those features that depend on the persons driving location whether it gets used or not, like the heated windshield. I have used that in the winter with snow/ice but someone in Florida would never use it.
If true, then it is sad that all Lexus models have it except the cheapest IS and the GX...which is not cheap at all. That makes no sense...
Old 10-18-13, 06:05 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Xenon ABLs are brutally expensive and complicated. I'm not surprised that Lexus did away with them. LEDs are much less complex, cheaper, and draw even less power. I don't think the LEDs auto-level or anything like that, hopefully the don't need to. I don't think LEDs are prone to cut-off and angle as badly as Xenons are, so auto-level isn't essential.
OEM HID headlights are expensive but they are adaptive (turn with steering). The main advantage of LED is they should last the life of the car and should be cheaper (have not seen a price on the LED replacement fixture). I'm not sure the new LEDs draw less watts. HIDs only draw 35 watts and the new replacement single LED bulb (aftermarket) draws 50 watts. As far as lumen efficiency, HIDs have the highest lumens per watt of all automotive lighting (including LEDs). The OEM LEDs have multiple bulbs and I would think they draw more than 35 watts. As far as cut-off, the more/sharper, the better. If the fixture has a sharp cut-off, that means the beam is less likely to shine in other driver’s eyes and the light itself is more efficient by being better focused and not being wasted lighting areas that do not need to be lit. With that said, I would prefer the LEDs!

Koz
Old 10-18-13, 08:38 AM
Craig B

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Just found out what I thought, The 2014 GX 460 Luxury doesn't have the auto folding mirrors.
Old 10-18-13, 11:13 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Just left the dealer.

Could not reach an agreement on price of ordering a vehicle. Also found out, Fire Agate Pearl is not available on a Luxury model even though the brouchure says so. I called Lexus as well and they confirmed. **Update** Went to a different dealer, and made a deal on ordering!

Randy B

Last edited by Randy B; 10-25-13 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-18-13, 08:30 PM
yipster222
Rookie

Craig,

The side mirrors should fold automatically if you position the switch in the neutral position.
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_03-04.pdf

140 3-4. Adjusting the steering wheel and mirrors
GX460_OM_OM60K80U_(U)
�� Power type
Extends the mirrors
Folds the mirrors

-yipster222

Last edited by yipster222; 10-18-13 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-19-13, 03:58 AM
Craig B

Originally Posted by yipster222
Craig,

The side mirrors should fold automatically if you position the switch in the neutral position.
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_03-04.pdf

140 3-4. Adjusting the steering wheel and mirrors
GX460_OM_OM60K80U_(U)
�� Power type
Extends the mirrors
Folds the mirrors

-yipster222
No, that's not how they work on the GX 460. You can set the switch to do it, but it's not automatic like on the LS 460, or even the RX. There is no auto switch like on my LS 460. You need to leave the switch in L or R for the mirrors to tilt down when backing up.
Old 10-19-13, 11:15 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

The front looks good IMO. Kind of GL looking. Not sure about the tail light. Maybe too new for me.
Old 10-19-13, 08:21 PM
yipster222
Rookie

I test drove the 2014 GX 460 today and verified that the side mirrors does not auto close when you lock the doors. I don't know why Lexus did not add that feature in. The truck drives and handle like the 2013 no difference at all. The only feature I like was the updated NAV and interface otherwise the truck is basically the same as the 2013. The front end is nice does look meaner. It is still a bummer that the auto close is not added to this $55k truck even the RX has it, major oversight with Lexus. I guess I'll wait till the 2015 model hopefully they will add that feature in.
Old 10-25-13, 06:17 AM
jbusiness
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it has the dynamic auto leveling headlights

Last edited by jbusiness; 10-25-13 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 03:48 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jbusiness
it has the dynamic auto leveling headlights
Did you see them in person or how did you find out? That is very good news!
Old 10-28-13, 07:48 AM
jbusiness
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, I verified on my own vehicle
Old 10-28-13, 12:48 PM
Craig B

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
Did you see them in person or how did you find out? That is very good news!
I hope to have mine Thursday. They don't work like the current GX 460 with HID's. On the new LS 460, they turn with the steering wheel as well as self leveling. They call it adaptive headlights on the LS 460 with LED headlights. Sat in the LS F Sport last week. I like the seats much better than my current LS 460.
Old 10-29-13, 04:15 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Craig B
I hope to have mine Thursday. They don't work like the current GX 460 with HID's. On the new LS 460, they turn with the steering wheel as well as self leveling. They call it adaptive headlights on the LS 460 with LED headlights. Sat in the LS F Sport last week. I like the seats much better than my current LS 460.
Jbusiness, thanks for your reply.

Craig, congrats and let us know your thoughts and findings once you get it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 GX460 with Alligator Seats & Ford Tail Lights