GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Body on Frame vs. Unibody Discussion Continued

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 01:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The weather is going to be a big factor. I am waiting until the day before (this coming Sat) to remove the running boards (which looks like a real PITA). If the weather is bad, I may pass. To remove the boards you even have to take the wheels off. In addition, the little integrated rear mud flaps have to come off. This may not be worth the effort!
Yeah the weather does look like its going to be not so great...

Originally Posted by Quadro
The GX 460 looks to me like a far superior handling and Grand Cherokee is outright dangerous.
For whatever reason only that one outlet was able to get the GC to behave that way, and it was with the vehicle heavily loaded (over loaded actually). Other magazines and publications tried to recreate those results and could not, in fact Chrysler sent engineers to Sweeden to observe the "moose test" and they were unable to recreate the results themselves. Ultimately one of the testers admitted to overloading the vehicle.

Read all about it: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/09/w...ns-moose-test/

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...ose-test-faked

http://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do?...bJboM.facebook

Grand Cherokee Statement for Teknikens Varld Test

Chrysler Group engineers are investigating a Swedish magazine's evaluation of the 2012 Grand
Cherokee. During the evaluation, the publication was able to capture images of a Grand Cherokee on two wheels as it performed an extreme maneuver in an overloaded condition.

Advised of this event by the magazine, Chrysler Group engineers made numerous attempts to
reproduce the wheel-lift in a properly loaded vehicle. Extensive testing produced no such result.
A subsequent evaluation was conducted by the magazine July 8 in Sweden and witnessed by Chrysler Group engineers. Three vehicles performed 11 runs on a course prepared by the magazine. None reproduced the original event.

The uncharacteristic result was obtained using a vehicle loaded beyond its weight specifications. The Grand Cherokee's weight limitations are clearly stated on the vehicle and in the owner's manual. Also, the extreme maneuver performed by the magazine is not certified by any regulatory agency, nor is it used to establish any sanctioned safety ratings.
Chrysler Group takes seriously any safety concerns and engineers are examining the event to better understand the magazine's claims.

A "Top Safety Pick" of the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2012 Grand Cherokee is an award-winning SUV that features Electronic Stability Control and Electronic Roll Mitigation as
standard equipment. It meets or exceeds all government safety mandates and its outstanding
performance has made it the most awarded SUV in history.
I've been posting on Jeep forums for two years and have never seen anybody report a rollover or a near-rollover. I've driven our Jeep pretty hard in the mountains of West Virginia and found it very stable.

Remember, that the GX was rated as a "don't buy" by Consumer Reports because of rear end slide that could contribute to a rollover...and in response was recalled by Lexus.

I wouldn't be worried about either vehicle being unsafe to drive.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-09-13 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 01:54 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Remember, that the GX was rated as a "don't buy" by Consumer Reports because of rear end slide that could contribute to a rollover...and in response was recalled by Lexus.
Which got fixed by Lexus and Consumer Reports subsequently lifted the warning. Also the behavior CR was concerned about looked far more benign and I'm sure they tried the moose test too but the skid during cornering is the best they could come up with.
Old 10-09-13, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Which got fixed by Lexus and Consumer Reports subsequently lifted the warning. Also the behavior CR was concerned about looked far more benign and I'm sure they tried the moose test too but the skid during cornering is the best they could come up with.
Right...it was fixed...which is why I said that I wouldn't be concerned about the GX being safe to drive. My point was that even the GX is not immune to being accused of being unsafe.

Read what I posted above. The "moose test" has never been replicated, even by the magazine that conducted it, and the original tester admits to overloading the vehicle.
Old 10-09-13, 02:10 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Read what I posted above. The "moose test" has never been replicated, even by the magazine that conducted it, and the original tester admits to overloading the vehicle.
In the second part of the video they clearly state that the load was below maximum allowed and that Chrysler engineers did the load themselves! As a result that car ended up with blown tires and they way it behaved is not reassuring either. Did you watch the full video? Scroll to 1:40.

I think you're talking about their first video, not a retest done with Chrysler engineers present which is what I posted.

Also if you read the statement released by the journal (http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest-part4/) -- they do not admit overloading the vehicle, quite the contrary:

Due to a complete incorrect statement by Chrysler, many people believe that we performed the first moose test with 50 kilos (110 lbs) overload in the Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is not the least bit true. We performed the first moose test with 100 kilos (220 lbs) less than the maximum payload (602 kilos/1 327 lbs) that is registered for the car, a figure which officially comes from Jeep/Chrysler..
Old 10-09-13, 02:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

In the second part of the video they clearly state that the load was below maximum allowed and that Chrysler engineers did the load themselves! As a result that car ended up with blown tires and they way it behaved is not reassuring either. Did you watch the full video? Scroll to 1:40.
I've watched the video many times.

Also if you read the statement released by the journal (http://www.teknikensvarld.se/jeepmoosetest-part4/) -- they do not admit overloading the vehicle, quite the contrary:
Why has no other publication been able to replicate their results then?

An example:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/29/2...an-moose-test/
Old 10-09-13, 02:22 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Why has no other publication been able to replicate their results then?
First of all what you're talking about is their first video
which shows far worse behavior and where overload speculation has started.

The second video, which is what I posted, has been done with Chrysler engineers on-site and is known to be done up to specs so I don't know why you would mention any overload in relation to the second video. Also as far as I know the second video was not considered to be a roll-over risk (the first one was) and in fact the one to which Chrysler references as a proof that behavior couldn't not be reproduced. Still the way the car handles in the second video does not look good.
Old 10-09-13, 02:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Also as far as I know the second video was not considered to be a roll-over risk (the first one was) and in fact the one to which Chrysler references as a proof that behavior couldn't not be reproduced. Still the way the car handles in the second video does not look good.
We've been discussing these videos for years on the Jeep forums, I know all of this.

As for how the car handles...you've never driven the car...I own it. I've driven it loaded on country roads, I've driven it offroad with 5 people in it and stuff sideways up hills...its a very stable vehicle. They sell 200,000 Grand Cherokees a year worldwide (225,000 last year, 150,000 in the US...so theres your proof that people do buy the GC in other countries)...where are the rollovers?

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-09-13 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-09-13, 02:30 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

We've been discussing these videos for years on the Jeep forums, I know all of this.
Maybe you do but other people reading this don't.
Old 10-10-13, 06:43 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Dead horse here guys!

Koz
Old 10-10-13, 06:55 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Buckfever
I think having to pull the running boards to prove what we already know to be its capabilities is definitely a PITA. But hey that's just me.
I can tell you from personal experience, without the running boards (and the right tires) the 460 is a beast off-road (I seen one with the boards off and Dura Trac tires). They are the limiting factor. Also, the crawl control is absolutely amazing!

Koz
Old 10-10-13, 11:23 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

GX460 towing a fighter jet - more than 48,000 lbs

Old 10-13-13, 01:49 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I can tell you from personal experience, without the running boards (and the right tires) the 460 is a beast off-road (I seen one with the boards off and Dura Trac tires). They are the limiting factor. Also, the crawl control is absolutely amazing!

Koz
I'm waiting very patiently for pictures Koz!
Old 10-13-13, 02:03 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

awesome!
first the tundra towing the space shuttle, now gX towing a russian MIG.
no cuv will do that!
end of discussion.
Old 10-14-13, 08:21 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
I'm waiting very patiently for pictures Koz!
I passed on the Rover trip to go on a shooting trip where I was able to shoot several guns I plan on purchasing. Other than a Rover fan bragging about how superior the Rover is, I really didn't see any reason to go through all the trouble of taking the boards off and back on. I know exactly how capable the GX is from several prior off-road trips. I know that the 460 is as capable off-road as any other SUV in its class (and better than most). Sorry guys but I am retiring this year (early retirement) and I have planned to really exploit the GX's capabilities. My first trip will entail towing my mobile luxury apartment (RV) around the country. The destinations I plan on visiting are all locations where I will park my RV and take the GX on daily off-road excursions. Needless to say I will be doing a lot of detailed postings with pics.

Koz
Old 10-14-13, 08:33 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I passed on the Rover trip to go on a shooting trip where I was able to shoot several guns I plan on purchasing. Other than a Rover fan bragging about how superior the Rover is, I really didn't see any reason to go through all the trouble of taking the boards off and back on. I know exactly how capable the GX is from several prior off-road trips. I know that the 460 is as capable off-road as any other SUV in its class (and better than most). Sorry guys but I am retiring this year (early retirement) and I have planned to really exploit the GX's capabilities. My first trip will entail towing my mobile luxury apartment (RV) around the country. The destinations I plan on visiting are all locations where I will park my RV and take the GX on daily off-road excursions. Needless to say I will be doing a lot of detailed postings with pics.
Koz
I'll be looking forward to it!

Quick Reply: Body on Frame vs. Unibody Discussion Continued