GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Body on Frame vs. Unibody Discussion Continued

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 08:52 AM
FrigginFGO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Wow, you really are not sure of what makes an off road vehicle worthy, the 4Runner Trail Editions 33/26 approach/departure angles are far superior to the GX's 28/25. Also, the 4Runner has 1.5 inches more ground clearance than the GX. Lets also not forget that the GX is 400 lbs lighter than the GX.
The trail may have the approach angle advantage but it doesn't have the Torsen 4wd system and it was replaced by an inferior 4wd system. I'd rather have full-time 4wd than trying to slow down or slow to a complete stop and engage it when road conditions can change fairly quickly. I have a 4th generation 4Runner and the reason I'm looking at the GX is because the 5th generation 4Runner is inferior to its predecessor. The only true 1-Up the 4runner trail has on the GX is the rear locker which I think should come standard on this $50k vehicle.
Old 10-06-13, 09:04 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you trying to get at? The GX/4Runner/Prado and FJ are essentially the same vehicle. The GX is a rebadged Prado and the 4Runner is a V6 Prado with a different body.
Are you serious? If these were the same vehicles why would Toyota even make them? Why not simply sell Prado in the US instead of a 4Runner?

First you start talking how 4Runner is superior to GX then you change your opinion 180 degrees and claim they are all the same.
Old 10-06-13, 09:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by FrigginFGO
The trail may have the approach angle advantage but it doesn't have the Torsen 4wd system and it was replaced by an inferior 4wd system. I'd rather have full-time 4wd than trying to slow down or slow to a complete stop and engage it when road conditions can change fairly quickly.
Have you ever heard of shift on the fly? You don't have to stop to go into 4WD.

The full time 4WD is nice, but full time comes with the electric switch that locks the differential into 4H, to me that is inferior to the mechanical lever that locks you into 4WD. Not a big fan of electric 4WD or anything electric in an off road vehicle.

I believe Toyota went back to a lever activated 4WD in some 14 4Runners. It is offered on the Trail for reliabily reasons

Also, Toyota does offer the Torsen in the 4Runner range, so why are looking elsewhere?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-06-13 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-06-13, 09:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quadro
Are you serious? If these were the same vehicles why would Toyota even make them? Why not simply sell Prado in the US instead of a 4Runner?

First you start talking how 4Runner is superior to GX then you change your opinion 180 degrees and claim they are all the same.
The Prado is sold in the US, it is called a GX.

The 4Runner at one time was sold worldwide, it was called the Hilux Surf.
Old 10-06-13, 09:22 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

The Prado is sold in the US, it is called a GX.

The 4Runner at one time was sold worldwide, it was called the Hilux Surf.
I suggest you write Toyota's CEO and tell him they should stop wasting money on making the same vehicles with different names on top of treating people like fools.
Old 10-06-13, 09:27 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

If I needed to go far into the bush offroading, there are whole bunch of vehicles I would take over the GX. A basic 4Runner with a mechanical 2H/4L lever will be superior to the electronic dash switch in the GX. Also, the GX adaptive variable suspension and KDSS will have more stress and fail points than a 4Runner with a basic nuts and bolts set up.

Not to sure about Cherokee but my thoughts are is that they are highly electronic like the GX.

Can you imagine the GX electronic transfer case malfunctioning while in 4L with a malfunctioning adaptive variable suspension stuck in the low position. No thanks.
Don’t take this the wrong way but you may want to do a little research (since you apparently do not have any actual experience) before you give your opinion on a particular subject! The 4Runner and the GX use the same mechanical transfer case that is enabled by an electronic switch (just a different type). The mechanical lever to enable low range is long gone and for good reason. The KDSS system has been around for some time and has proven to be extremely capable/reliable system and makes a huge difference on/off road! Just to clarify the two systems ; KDSS is a mechanical system that adjusts the sway bars (yes, electronically controlled which makes it more reliable). The AVS has nothing to do with the height of the vehicle. It is an electronically controlled dampening system that stabilizes the suspension (adaptive shocks).

Koz
Old 10-06-13, 09:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koz
Don’t take this the wrong way but you may want to do a little research (since you apparently do not have any actual experience) before you give your opinion on a particular subject! The 4Runner and the GX use the same mechanical transfer case that is enabled by an electronic switch (just a different type). The mechanical lever to enable low range is long gone and for good reason. The KDSS system has been around for some time and has proven to be extremely capable/reliable system and makes a huge difference on/off road! Just to clarify the two systems ; KDSS is a mechanical system that adjusts the sway bars (yes, electronically controlled which makes it more reliable). The AVS has nothing to do with the height of the vehicle. It is an electronically controlled dampening system that stabilizes the suspension (adaptive shocks).

Koz
The mechanical lever is back for 2014 in base 4Runners and most importantly the Trail Edition. It was deleted for 2013 but Toyota brought it back.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-06-13 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-06-13, 09:38 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quadro
I suggest you write Toyota's CEO and tell him they should stop wasting money on making the same vehicles with different names on top of treating people like fools.
No need, it is common knowledge that the GX/Prado/4Runner are all from the same platform.
Old 10-06-13, 09:43 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

No need, it is common knowledge that the GX/Prado/4Runner are all from the same platform.
1. Prado outsells 4Runner worldwide. Why go through the trouble of making 4Runner at all and not simply sell Prado everywhere?
2. Why sell both FJCruser and 4Runner in the US? Why not sell Prado in the US?
3. Why GX is a luxurious version of Prado instead of 4Runner?

That's like claiming Toyota Tundra is the same as Toyota Sequoia because they share the same frame.
Old 10-06-13, 09:44 AM
Koz

The mechanical lever is back for 2014 in base 4Runners and most importantly the Trail Edition. It was deleted for 2013 but Toyota brought it back.
Only to save money, which is why the current gen 4Runner has turned off many loyal enthusiasts (myself included).

Koz
Old 10-06-13, 09:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koz
Only to save money, which is why the current gen 4Runner has turned off many loyal enthusiasts (myself included).

Koz
The current 4Runner does offer the Torsen with a electronic dash switch.

From what I heard, the enthusiasts complianed to Toyota that there was no lever, the real loyal owners know that the lever has been tradition on the 4Runner and was sadly not offered on the 03-09 model.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-06-13 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-06-13, 09:50 AM
Koz

Again, do some research. They use the same chassis, but use completely different drive trains and susp components (not to mention materials).

Koz
Old 10-06-13, 09:56 AM
Koz

The current 4Runner does offer the Torsen with a electronic dash switch.
The Torsen is only offered in the Limited model (4Runner) and it has NOTHING to do with the transfer case. Again, to save money! Any other opinions you want to enlighten us with?

Koz
Old 10-06-13, 10:03 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Koz
The Torsen is only offered in the Limited model (4Runner) and it has NOTHING to do with the transfer case. Again, to save money! Any other opinions you want to enlighten us with?

Koz
OF COURSE THE TORSEN HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE TRANSFER CASE.

The electric switch is one of the major flaws of the GX and Torsen diff.

The only way to lock the Torsen is with the electric switch. The part is IDENTICAL to the same system as the GX.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 10-06-13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-06-13, 10:38 AM
Koz

OF COURSE THE TORSEN HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE TRANSFER CASE.

The only to lock the Torsen is with the electric switch. The part is IDENTICAL to the same system as the GX.
If you want to discuss/debate a subject by giving personal opinion instead of fact, you have to be less defensive when someone does not agree or offers fact. We are all here to learn (myself included) and share information about our common interest.

Since you insist on giving opinion instead of fact, please explain how a limited-slip locking center diff has anything to do with the transfer case. The fact is the Torsen is a more versatile way (and other advantages) to distribute torque between the front and rear diffs and because it is more expensive it was dropped by Toyota on the 4Runner (other than on the Limited model).

Koz

Quick Reply: Body on Frame vs. Unibody Discussion Continued