GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New to the club! (plus a question)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 08:26 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New to the club! (plus a question)

Hey all!

I just wanted to introduce myself, I just came from a 2012 4Runner to a 2010 GX460. I found myself wanting some V8 power, and a bit more refinement so here I am.

My GX is used with about 50,000 Miles, and it has every available option on the sheet including lane departure, around view cameras, and that weird infrared thing that looks in your eyes when you're driving. I was really lucky to be able to find one with all these options and was able to do a trade for my 4Runner. Mine is Knights Armor Metallic with Ecru Leather.

Here is my first question. My GX has the ride height control, and when I set the height to High or Low it immediately resets itself to neutral when I start driving. Why does it do this? Can't I drive around at any height I want?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-13, 01:49 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Welcome, I think it only lowers to let people out of the vehicle when it's stopped. I think it returns to regular height when you start driving. You might be able to raise it to go over something, I've never played around with it. Someone else might be able to answer your question better than I can.

Enjoy!
Old 10-01-13, 08:00 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

it will revert to N after hitting 18 mph.
probably cause in N is where vehicle dynamics are safest at higher speeds.
Old 10-01-13, 09:33 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by T4Fun
it will revert to N after hitting 18 mph.
probably cause in N is where vehicle dynamics are safest at higher speeds.
Cool thanks for the info, makes sense now that you mention it. So far this GX is awesome, it's one bad *** whip compared to my 4Runner. I am kinda nervous because I bought one that already has about 50K on it.

What are some of the problems that people have experienced most often? I read about a TSB regarding some wheel balancing or something, but after reading most of this forum I don't see a lot of horror stories yet.
Old 10-01-13, 11:07 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolrax
Cool thanks for the info, makes sense now that you mention it. So far this GX is awesome, it's one bad *** whip compared to my 4Runner. I am kinda nervous because I bought one that already has about 50K on it.

What are some of the problems that people have experienced most often? I read about a TSB regarding some wheel balancing or something, but after reading most of this forum I don't see a lot of horror stories yet.
thats probably nothing for this engine. it will likely go 300K or higher
Old 10-02-13, 04:13 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Your GX is just broken in, lol. Don't even give it a second thought, 50K miles is nothing. The air spring susp is auto leveling and as T4Fun stated it will revert back to "N" (level) at 18 mph. You can also set the wide-view camera's to automatically come on at 5 mph.

Koz
Old 10-02-13, 07:35 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Koz
Your GX is just broken in, lol. Don't even give it a second thought, 50K miles is nothing. The air spring susp is auto leveling and as T4Fun stated it will revert back to "N" (level) at 18 mph. You can also set the wide-view camera's to automatically come on at 5 mph.

Koz
Sweet. I managed to swing a deal with a guy for a set of 20 Inch 4Runner OEM wheels as buying those wheels used was cheaper than replacing my Blizzaks. I will be sure to post some pics once the wheels are on in a couple of weeks.

Also, I found out that the previous owner of my car was only using regular gas . I saw in a thread he posted on here that he didn't feel the need to use premium. Will the knock sensors have saved my engine from ruin?

The guy messaged me on the 4Runner forums to say it was his old car and I looked up his username here and saw a post about refusing to use premium...my heart sunk.
Old 10-02-13, 08:08 AM
Koz

Sweet. I managed to swing a deal with a guy for a set of 20 Inch 4Runner OEM wheels as buying those wheels used was cheaper than replacing my Blizzaks. I will be sure to post some pics once the wheels are on in a couple of weeks.

Also, I found out that the previous owner of my car was only using regular gas . I saw in a thread he posted on here that he didn't feel the need to use premium. Will the knock sensors have saved my engine from ruin?

The guy messaged me on the 4Runner forums to say it was his old car and I looked up his username here and saw a post about refusing to use premium...my heart sunk.
What do 20" wheels have to do with winter tires?

There has not been too much talk about using regular gas in the 460, so it would be hard to tell if there would be ill effects. How does your vehicle run? With 50K miles on yours, if there were a problem, I would think there would be signs. The 4.6 in the GX was tuned to be smoother and quieter then the Toyota 4.6. Oddly the Toyota has more HP (with its tune) using regular. I have never heard or driven the Toyota 4.6 to compare. I would think (if there is no problems now) you should be OK, but I would use the premium fuel. I personally only use top tier fuel (V-Power).

Koz
Old 10-02-13, 08:19 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The computer will adjust to the lower octain in the fuel on it's own in order to prevent engine damage. It will also readjust once you start using premium fuel. I'm in charge of our comapny vehicles and we have 2 MB S550's and both drivers use regular gas and we drive them for 75k before we sell them, never an issue with them. My father has a C6 Corvette, runs regular gas, no issues in 28,000 miles. You'll have less power running with regular fuel but it won't hurt it any.
Old 10-02-13, 08:31 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Koz
What do 20" wheels have to do with winter tires?

There has not been too much talk about using regular gas in the 460, so it would be hard to tell if there would be ill effects. How does your vehicle run? With 50K miles on yours, if there were a problem, I would think there would be signs. The 4.6 in the GX was tuned to be smoother and quieter then the Toyota 4.6. Oddly the Toyota has more HP (with its tune) using regular. I have never heard or driven the Toyota 4.6 to compare. I would think (if there is no problems now) you should be OK, but I would use the premium fuel. I personally only use top tier fuel (V-Power).

Koz
I own a set of practically new 20 inch Blizzaks that I was running on my 2012 4Runner Limited for the last half of last winter, I kept them when I sold the car.

A used set of 20 inch 4Runner Limited wheels is cheaper than a new set of Blizzaks to fit my GX460 so I am going that route.

I'm with you on the fuel, I don't really care for anything but the best. My car prior to the 4Runner needed premium and I never skimped once.

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
The computer will adjust to the lower octain in the fuel on it's own in order to prevent engine damage. It will also readjust once you start using premium fuel. I'm in charge of our comapny vehicles and we have 2 MB S550's and both drivers use regular gas and we drive them for 75k before we sell them, never an issue with them. My father has a C6 Corvette, runs regular gas, no issues in 28,000 miles. You'll have less power running with regular fuel but it won't hurt it any.

That's a load off, I was crushed when I read the post
Old 10-02-13, 08:43 AM
Koz

The computer will sense engine knock and adjust the ignition (timing) to help prevent engine damage, but there is a limit. I do not think you have to worry. Again, if the vehicle is running fine (no knock or poor mileage) you should be OK!

Koz
Old 10-02-13, 08:50 AM
Koz

I own a set of practically new 20 inch Blizzaks that I was running on my 2012 4Runner Limited for the last half of last winter, I kept them when I sold the car.

A used set of 20 inch 4Runner Limited wheels is cheaper than a new set of Blizzaks to fit my GX460 so I am going that route.
It is a lot easier to swap winter and non-winter tires that are already mounted!

Koz
Old 10-02-13, 09:16 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Koz
It is a lot easier to swap winter and non-winter tires that are already mounted!

Koz
Haha for sure, I have a place in town here that stores and does it all for me so I just drop it off and poof its done. Also, I think 18s are too small for this car. I'm not trying to have a rapper truck, but the GX could use a little bit more swag hahaha.

Also, I'm wondering if the thinner tire with larger diameter might help with fuel economy a bit? On the 4Runner, they were able to use that tire on the full time AWD Limited's economy with the RWD SR5.
Old 10-02-13, 10:29 AM
Koz

Haha for sure, I have a place in town here that stores and does it all for me so I just drop it off and poof its done. Also, I think 18s are too small for this car. I'm not trying to have a rapper truck, but the GX could use a little bit more swag hahaha.

Also, I'm wondering if the thinner tire with larger diameter might help with fuel economy a bit? On the 4Runner, they were able to use that tire on the full time AWD Limited's economy with the RWD SR5.
I think Lexus was looking to make the ride as smooth as possible and (being that the Prado is so popular) 18s are more suited for off-road. Also, there is a larger verity of different types of tires in that size, for all driving conditions.

Koz