GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official GX 2014 Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-13, 04:58 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

usually i like new and updated looks on all vehicles, but the spindal just doesn't work on the GX. not meshing too well with the rest of the body. i hope dealers give bigger discounts on the leftover '13.
Old 09-07-13, 09:23 PM
yipster222
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 GX 460 Info

Here are some new images for the 2014 GX 460 from the Lexus Global Site.

http://www.lexus-int.com/models/GX/

Enjoy!!!
Old 09-08-13, 12:54 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by yipster222
Here are some new images for the 2014 GX 460 from the Lexus Global Site.

http://www.lexus-int.com/models/GX/

Enjoy!!!
These are the same pics that have been up there for the past week+. nothing new to see here...
Old 09-08-13, 03:46 PM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why even buy a new 2014 when Lexus is ending production of the GX460 in 2016?

Was in the dealership yesterday and showed me the Lexus article .
Old 09-08-13, 03:58 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LVLEXUS
Why even buy a new 2014 when Lexus is ending production of the GX460 in 2016?

Was in the dealership yesterday and showed me the Lexus article .
Do you believe it? Would Lexus go through a re-design for 2014, but end production in 2016? What about all the Prado Land Cruisers that Toyota sells around the world ... are they going to stop producing them also?

Ending production of a Lexus model is not unheard of ... remember the SC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SC400#F...281992-2001.29

However, it is often at the end of a long production run as sales dwindle. Unless the Prado Land Cruiser is also ending, as long as there are any GX customers in the USA Lexus would presumably keep making them ... they sold a total of two (2) SC's to American customers in 2012!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 09-08-13, 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Do you believe it? Would Lexus go through a re-design for 2014, but end production in 2016?
Absolutely. Its not a full redesign, its just a refresh. They kind of had to do something with the GX since it doesn't match their new styling language at all.

What about all the Prado Land Cruisers that Toyota sells around the world ... are they going to stop producing them also?
I'm sure they will keep making the Prado and selling it elsewhere in the world.

as long as there are any GX customers in the USA Lexus would presumably keep making them ... they sold a total of two (2) SC's to American customers in 2012!
Regards,
They aren't going to continue making an entire model just because "somebody" would buy it. They canned the SC, the HS, the IS Sport Cross...the 2 SC sales in 2012 were leftovers. The last model year for the SC was 2010.

However, it is often at the end of a long production run as sales dwindle.
Sales have been pretty bad. From a height of 35,000 units in 04 and 05 sales in 2012 were just 11k units. The current model has never caught on with consumers the way the previous model did. In fact the current model only outsold the very worst year of the previous model its first year, and then only by 1,000 units (best year for the current generation was 2010, 16k units). Thats why they reduced the price of the 2014 model. Sales for 2013 have only been 6300 units through August, down YoY from 2012 about 500 units. Acura sold that many MDXs just in August alone.

With the success of three row crossover luxury SUVs...like I've said for some time now the GX will likely be replaced with one of those.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-08-13 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 04:37 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i think the major reason for ending production would be gas prices which translate into low sales and numbers.

dont think lexus will end this because people dislike it.
its just the economics of things to come.
gas wont last forever, so they need design vehicles with better fuel effiency.

heck, i would even sell my gx and get a tesla - its the safest vehicle ever,even more than the gx!
but hate the way it looks

overall, i am happy with the gx, but have to make some major decisions this year
its solid as a tank to drive, feels secure, but its not fun to drive at all.
if they indeed are ending production, that in itself will drop the resale value further.
i may decide to just sell my gx and get an is350awd or something along that line, of just keep it
and face the fact that one day its going to be worth $0.
i love the redesign, but i am now wondering is it worth it to take a $20K hit just to get the new updated version, maybe not afterall if theyre ending production in 2016...
Old 09-08-13, 05:39 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Absolutely. Its not a full redesign, its just a refresh. They kind of had to do something with the GX since it doesn't match their new styling language at all.

I'm sure they will keep making the Prado and selling it elsewhere in the world.

They aren't going to continue making an entire model just because "somebody" would buy it. They canned the SC, the HS, the IS Sport Cross...the 2 SC sales in 2012 were leftovers. The last model year for the SC was 2010.

Sales have been pretty bad. From a height of 35,000 units in 04 and 05 sales in 2012 were just 11k units. The current model has never caught on with consumers the way the previous model did. In fact the current model only outsold the very worst year of the previous model its first year, and then only by 1,000 units (best year for the current generation was 2010, 16k units). Thats why they reduced the price of the 2014 model. Sales for 2013 have only been 6300 units through August, down YoY from 2012 about 500 units. Acura sold that many MDXs just in August alone.

With the success of three row crossover luxury SUVs...like I've said for some time now the GX will likely be replaced with one of those.
Co-signed, point-for-point.
Old 09-08-13, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
i think the major reason for ending production would be gas prices which translate into low sales and numbers.

dont think lexus will end this because people dislike it.
its just the economics of things to come.
gas wont last forever, so they need design vehicles with better fuel effiency.
Other large SUVs are still selling well despite low fuel economy. In 2008, when fuel prices were at their highest and the country was in the throws of the recession, the GX (which was a 5 year old design) posted numbers only 600 units less than the all new 2010 GX, and 4k units more than the 2011 or 2012 GX. As a comparison during this time the Mercedes GL outsold the Lexus GX by 14,000 units, and continued to sell at the same volumes in 2010, 2011 & 2012...with 2012 being tied for its best sales year ever at 27k units. 2012 was the GX's worst full year ever.

Its not fuel prices...the American consumer just does not love this generation of the GX. They loved the old one...which outsold the GL...but not this one.
Old 09-09-13, 04:32 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

2017 is about the time the GX will be due for a full makeover. While I am sure the GX460 will be "discontinued" it will be replaced with another GX XXX with a new engine etc. The 4Runner is also based on the GX and I find it doubtful that Toyota will kill off the only mid-sized SUV in their lineup. While the GX sales are down, look at the LX sales, it is a niche market large SUV sold in small quantities. With so many variations of the GX sold worldwide (Prado, GX, 4Runer etc.) I do not think they will kill it off but change it to the new model. Just my 2 cents…
I love the GX as I have owned 2 of them, I would hate to have to switch to another brand in order to keep my mid-sized SUV.
Old 09-09-13, 05:41 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
2017 is about the time the GX will be due for a full makeover. While I am sure the GX460 will be "discontinued" it will be replaced with another GX XXX with a new engine etc. The 4Runner is also based on the GX and I find it doubtful that Toyota will kill off the only mid-sized SUV in their lineup. While the GX sales are down, look at the LX sales, it is a niche market large SUV sold in small quantities. With so many variations of the GX sold worldwide (Prado, GX, 4Runer etc.) I do not think they will kill it off but change it to the new model. Just my 2 cents…
I love the GX as I have owned 2 of them, I would hate to have to switch to another brand in order to keep my mid-sized SUV.
Completely agree!

Koz
Old 09-09-13, 06:21 AM
T4Fun
Racer

as i once thought too, the GX apparently is based off the prado, not the 4runner, but they both share same frame.

i wonder WTF lexus is doing still making the LX? i would think thats the first one to go...

what other luxury brand body on frame are your referring too? only one i know is cadillac and the body frame RR - which i would rather drive the cadillac over RR...
Old 09-09-13, 07:51 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T4Fun
what other luxury brand body on frame are your referring too? only one i know is cadillac and the body frame RR - which i would rather drive the cadillac over RR...
I am not aware of another luxury body on frame SUV besides the ones you mention. I would never go with a Cadillac or Range Rover. I would probably go with the X5. My wife has had 2 of them so I am very familiar with them (I know they are not a real body on frame SUV). Don't really want to do that but I guess it will be up to Toyota/Lexus.
Old 09-09-13, 07:56 AM
T4Fun
Racer

I am not aware of another luxury body on frame SUV besides the ones you mention. I would never go with a Cadillac or Range Rover. I would probably go with the X5. My wife has had 2 of them so I am very familiar with them (I know they are not a real body on frame SUV). Don't really want to do that but I guess it will be up to Toyota/Lexus.
i would never ever buy german ever!
its quite surprising mass market is buying MB over Lexus suvs.
if everyone knew cars inside and out, i am sure more would buy a lexus suv over others.
people like to drive their money...thats just what MB has over lexus unfortunately...
Old 09-09-13, 08:13 AM
tmldds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was so impressed by the 2013 that I test-drove and cannot wait to get a 2014 Luxury copy. I had a 2007 Mercedes GL450 and kept it for 7 years. It mainly had problems with the A/C which required multiple trips for repair. The last time it was in, the problem could not be reproduced or diagnosed. I look forward to the upcoming purchase of the GX460 to be kept for at least 7 years... I believe it is a classic.

Quick Reply: Official GX 2014 Pictures