GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Official GX 2014 Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 05:14 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The only thing that concerns me is; how were they able to cut the base price by thousands? I know the HID headlight fixtures are insanely expensive but the base model does not have HIDs. Have they eliminated standard features?

Koz
Old 08-26-13, 05:59 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not digging the space age look...

Old 08-26-13, 06:40 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koz
The only thing that concerns me is; how were they able to cut the base price by thousands? I know the HID headlight fixtures are insanely expensive but the base model does not have HIDs. Have they eliminated standard features?

Koz
What do you mean? Yes, they've eliminated standard features. The $48k base model no longer has leather, ventilated seats, etc.

The GX is just like every other high dollar BOF vehicle, whether it's a Ford King Ranch pickup or a LX570......massive profit for its maker.

At this point in its lifecycle, the GX has recouped its development costs. That means each one they make makes big $$$$$$$ for Toyota.

However, just like every other Lexus "base" model, you will never actually see one on the lot unless you special order it.

The MY2014 is a much better value.

The 2014 "Premium" model is like the 2013 "Base" model with added features like NAV, Park Assist, and 3-zone AC for pretty much the same price! Nice!
A rare example of a car company giving consumers a "break".

Originally Posted by frank69m
Not digging the space age look...

Where did this photo come from? It looks like it's riding much higher than the other photos released on the Lexus Pressroom (USA) site.......

Last edited by SecPole14; 08-26-13 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-26-13, 06:49 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yen is very low, so massive profits for toyota when they get US dollars by selling gxs here.
the body on frame design is also apparently cheaper to make than the CUVs go figure.
so toyota is being nice here imho. they could of raised it for the lower models, but raised the
top end luxury gx by $2K msrp.
Old 08-26-13, 06:51 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by T4Fun
yen is very low, so massive profits for toyota when they get US dollars by selling gxs here.
the body on frame design is also apparently cheaper to make than the CUVs go figure.
so toyota is being nice here imho. they could of raised it for the lower models, but raised the
top end luxury gx by $2K msrp.
Yup, the yen is helping them big time. And here is a screen cap from an unnamed awesome mystery source to making the pricing/features more clear....
Attached Thumbnails Official GX 2014 Pictures-capture.jpg  
Old 08-26-13, 06:53 AM
T4Fun
Racer

i wonder if the coefficient of drag is lower for this gx given the pointier nose and it sticks out further than the current rounded bumper
Old 08-26-13, 06:56 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by SecPole14
Yup, the yen is helping them big time. And here is a screen cap from an unnamed awesome mystery source to making the pricing/features more clear....
ahh, theres how they lowered the price on base.
no leather seats, parking assist, retractable mirrors to name a few. no electric folding rear seats,

so in effect going from a current premy gx to luxury gx, i am paying 2K for headlamps, led fogs, rear cross traffic monitor, blind spot, and flashier wheels.
Old 08-26-13, 07:27 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

In my view, there is no reason to buy the 2014 "Luxury" model. The Air suspension is just more stuff to break/wear out/expensive replacement/difficult to mod. The 2014 "Premium" model is a great value. The "Luxury" version for $6000 more for air suspension and power seats? No thanks.

However, a vehicle this size, I think Park Assist and Blind Spot Monitoring and Cross Traffic Alert should be standard on ALL models/trims.

Also, if Ventilated Seats and Park Assist are available on the 2014 base model as individual options, I will go that route.

Last edited by SecPole14; 08-26-13 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-26-13, 08:27 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I like it. The larger screen is very nice which appears to offer you a view of both the NAV and music info at the same time. They kept the touch screen, very good move!! No old fashioned analog clock, another good move ( a waste of premium dashboard space in my opinion). The outside is very nice, the only thing I am not into is the chrome rear lights but will have to see them in person. Overall, looks very nice.
Screen size remains the same. However they are integrating what the MY14 IS uses for interface. Notice the "Home" button on the bottom left of the screen. This home button allows you to have 1-4 screen visible while driving. The old system would always revert back to the navigation map, whereas this system gives the driver the option of what they would like to see.
Old 08-26-13, 08:48 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my view, there is no reason to buy the 2014 "Luxury" model. The Air suspension is just more stuff to break/wear out/expensive replacement/difficult to mod.
It's not only the air springs but also AVS which does make the ride better and allows you to choose settings (comf/sport/standard). I think it's a personal choice on whether you want to sacrifice reliability/simplicity for a better ride. Personally I did not so I got the base model.
Old 08-26-13, 09:34 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Plus with the Air suspension when you tow anything it will AUTO level itself which to me is a great benefit, at least I think so. May be time to trade in my 08 and get the "Luxury" model. I need the heated steering wheel too in Alaska, it gets darn cold lol
Old 08-26-13, 10:37 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

I think the "Luxury" model and Air Suspension is great for people who need/want it, and while the extra ride height would be nice, it's just too much for me (price and content wise). I'll be happy to "make do" with the "Premium" model.
Old 08-26-13, 10:54 AM
KickinA
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know when the 14 GX is going to land at dealerships?

Does anyone know when the 14 GX is going to land at dealerships?

So sites say September, others say October?

thanks
Old 08-26-13, 11:54 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KickinA
Does anyone know when the 14 GX is going to land at dealerships?

So sites say September, others say October?

thanks
I would say it's reasonable to assume late September (west coast) and early October (east coast).
Old 08-26-13, 12:03 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

So if the chart is accurate, the pricing of the "premium" model stayed the same as the prior year base model but you lose the power third row seats and the retractable mirrors that the prior year base model had? Then again, I guess you get the LED headlights so that is a plus.

It seems like people are happy with the new "standard" model's pricing but are people really going to be paying $50k for this SUV without leather, heated/ventilated seats and nav? Once you add those things in the price is basically the same as the premium model. I do like the fact that you don't have to have power third row seats which lowers the cost since to me having these powered is not a big deal. I just wonder how many people are really going to get a "standard" model for $50k without these features. Is the Nuluxe seating surface what is in the CT that is kind of rubbery? I just don't see why some are so happy about the new pricing, of course it is less because you are getting less. However, more options are better for people than less options.

Quick Reply: Official GX 2014 Pictures