GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Protective Paint Film Questions, Comments, Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 04:44 PM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
Yes you see the edge of the 3M film. You have to be looking for it though. As long as it is kept clean and waxed, you will not notice much. And you only notice the seam when you are up close, otherwise everything truly looks invisible. Once again, I feel as if this is a great investment for your car if you are the meticulous type who has to have a perfect looking vehicle.

As a note, I only have 2 small chips on my Lincoln LS after 4 years. I assume they must have been pretty decent size rocks to puncture through the film.
Ok. Thanks. I'll check to see how much it costs.
Old 08-07-13, 12:47 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got my first rock ding on the plastic front bumper

Dang. it torn into it a little.

Questions:

1) Anyone get a clear bra for their 460? If so, which brand and how much. Thinking of just doing the bumper.

2) Anyway to fix it if it is in the front bumper plastic part near the front parking sensors...
Old 08-07-13, 02:19 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
Dang. it torn into it a little.

Questions:

1) Anyone get a clear bra for their 460? If so, which brand and how much. Thinking of just doing the bumper.

2) Anyway to fix it if it is in the front bumper plastic part near the front parking sensors...
I have the 3M clear film, dealer charged me $495.00 for the bumper, hood and mirrors.
Old 08-07-13, 02:45 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

3M film. From an independent installer. $600 for front bumper, hood, A pillars, mirrors, front part of roof and bulging areas on rear fenders.
Old 08-07-13, 04:01 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a custom clear bra (3M Ventureshield) installed. It took 9 hours. The reason I went with a custom bra was because the computer generated pattern had too many visible seams (and the recommendation of my installer). The custom (no computer generated pattern) one piece front end bra has only two small seams behind the headlight washers (barely noticeable). The most important factor in getting a clear bra is using a highly skilled and experienced installer. The installer I used has been a 3M certified installer for 17 years. He is so meticulous and skilled in every aspect of the install he makes it look so easy. I call him the plastic surgeon of clear bra’s. Anyway, I had the whole front end done which includes the front bumper, headlights, fogs and headlight washer covers and running boards. I included the hood (mild bikini cut) and front fenders to the middle of the front wheel wells. I also had the door handle wells, side mirrors, gas tank lid and back bumper done. I had my IS done 7 years ago and it still looks great (no dings/chips at all).

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ield-Consumer/

Koz
Old 08-07-13, 04:54 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I have the hood, bumper, front part of quarter panels, mirrors, headlights, fogs and door edges. I always get it done for all of my cars for the past 10 years. I got the computer cut one as I didn't know at the time that it would be in two pieces as opposed to one piece like Koz has since my old GX, LS, IS' and Viper were all one piece. Not a big deal but had I known beforehand I would have had it custom cut as well.
Old 08-07-13, 10:03 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe go to a detailer or body shop first and get the chip fixed then clear bra over it. I've had Ventureshield on my last three cars and don't think I'll ever go without it again - or some form of paint protection. I get the front bumper, all lights, mirrors, full hood, and partial fenders covered. On our latest vehicle I also go the A pillers, rear bumper lip, and about the first 5" of the roof covered. Like Koz's experience, this install is always a full day. Price wise, it's been $1,200+.

If you like seeing paint on your front end, it's worth it!
Old 08-08-13, 08:50 AM
Koz

My installer does allot of exotic cars (Lambo, GTR, Ferrari) and he said most of them have the WHOLE car covered! He also did a whole STi in carbon fiber!

Koz
Old 08-09-13, 11:42 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
My installer does allot of exotic cars (Lambo, GTR, Ferrari) and he said most of them have the WHOLE car covered! He also did a whole STi in carbon fiber!

Koz
arent there issues with removing the clear bra afterwards?
Old 08-09-13, 03:32 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by T4Fun
arent there issues with removing the clear bra afterwards?
If you decide to remove the film (which is not hard to remove) the painted surface looks like the day you put it on.

Koz
Old 08-12-13, 06:37 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
I had a custom clear bra (3M Ventureshield) installed. It took 9 hours. The reason I went with a custom bra was because the computer generated pattern had too many visible seams (and the recommendation of my installer). The custom (no computer generated pattern) one piece front end bra has only two small seams behind the headlight washers (barely noticeable). The most important factor in getting a clear bra is using a highly skilled and experienced installer. The installer I used has been a 3M certified installer for 17 years. He is so meticulous and skilled in every aspect of the install he makes it look so easy. I call him the plastic surgeon of clear bra’s. Anyway, I had the whole front end done which includes the front bumper, headlights, fogs and headlight washer covers and running boards. I included the hood (mild bikini cut) and front fenders to the middle of the front wheel wells. I also had the door handle wells, side mirrors, gas tank lid and back bumper done. I had my IS done 7 years ago and it still looks great (no dings/chips at all).

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ield-Consumer/

Koz
Your really going to be pissed when you hit or someone else hits you
Old 08-13-13, 06:32 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Max707
Your really going to be pissed when you hit or someone else hits you
Why is that?

Koz
Old 08-13-13, 07:35 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

^^ Because having to pay for the clear bra twice sucks. I had it put on the rear bumper of my old LS thinking that it might save it from some donkey bumping me with the front license plate screws or some other small scrapes on the corners if I were to back into anything. Well within a month of getting my old LS, I pulled through a space to park facing out and when I returned someone bumped me pretty good (and left of course). No scratches or scuffs but there was a footlong crease in my perfect rear bumper that I got fixed and then clear bra'd again.
Old 08-13-13, 07:53 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats what insurance is for.
Old 08-13-13, 08:33 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by patgilm
^^ Because having to pay for the clear bra twice sucks. I had it put on the rear bumper of my old LS thinking that it might save it from some donkey bumping me with the front license plate screws or some other small scrapes on the corners if I were to back into anything. Well within a month of getting my old LS, I pulled through a space to park facing out and when I returned someone bumped me pretty good (and left of course). No scratches or scuffs but there was a footlong crease in my perfect rear bumper that I got fixed and then clear bra'd again.
You certainly cannot expect the clear bra to prevent impact damage! I have experienced and seen several good rubs and impacts (some were good hits) that when the bra was removed there was no paint damage and when a section piece was replaced looked like new.

Koz

Quick Reply: Protective Paint Film Questions, Comments, Concerns