GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Front Seats Rubbing Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 12:45 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front Seats Rubbing Center Console

I took this picture from the rear seat while leaning over the front seats. The two white arrows indicate where our front seats are rubbing the center console while we are seated. The rubbing makes a noise and will eventually leave a wear mark on the leather, the console or both. What would you recommend to quiet the noise and to cushion the contact between the leather and the center console?

I'm looking for a product that is safe for leather that will decrease friction in this area so that the rubbing won't cause noise or leave wear marks on the leather. I'm only interested in treating the area of the seat that contacts the console so as not to change the overall appearance of the leather. Alternatively, I could treat the center console with a product that will make it more slippery.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. A terry cloth hand towel works great, but looks awful!
Attached Thumbnails Front Seats Rubbing Center Console-gx-460-interior.jpg  
Old 06-30-13, 06:23 PM
egroeg38
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Baby powder !!
Old 06-30-13, 06:41 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by egroeg38
Baby powder !!
Thanks, but baby powder won't stick and white powder might discolor the leather or the plastic. I'm looking for a "once and forget" solution that doesn't require frequent re-application and won't cause cumulative damage.
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I'm getting used to a terry cloth hand towel stuffed between the seat and the center console. It's brown, which is a close color match to the sepia interior.
Old 07-01-13, 03:00 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Look this up on ebay: 3M Di-NOC Silver Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Sheet

It sticks well, but peels off with no residue. You can buy small sheets.

I used it on the 1 inch wide area between the top of the cup holder wood lid and the shifter (see your picture above). I put my keys in the cup holder and didn't want to scratch up the console area near the shifter. It's just painted and scratches easily. Had it on for 2 years now and it looks factory.
Old 07-01-13, 03:45 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Interesting! Here's a site that specializes in 3M Di-NOC Silver Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Sheet:

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com

They sell pieces as small as 4" by 8" for evaluation, which is more than I need as the affected area is quite small.

My concern is the point of contact is an irregular area where the side of the leather seat touches the plastic console. Stuff anything into that area, such as a terry cloth hand towel and the problem is solved. Would I apply the sticky side of this film to the console ... and would it stick?

Thanks for the suggestion.
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-01-13, 04:58 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Leather conditioner has worked for me in the past in similar situations, especially Zaino's which does reduce friction quite a bit. This said, I don't know how much seat-to-console force we are talking about when you're on the seat, but I would still give it a try.
Old 07-01-13, 05:25 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by caha14
Leather conditioner has worked for me in the past in similar situations, especially Zaino's which does reduce friction quite a bit. This said, I don't know how much seat-to-console force we are talking about when you're on the seat, but I would still give it a try.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=Z-10

Thanks for that suggestion. Reducing friction is a good way to describe what is needed ... making the leather "more slippery" so it can slide against the console plastic without squeaking. What happens if you apply Zaino's Leather Conditioner to just a small portion of the seat ... does it change the appearance? If so, would I have to treat the entire seat? You could see where this is going ... would I have to apply it to all the seats to maintain a consistent appearance?

The "seat-to-console" force isn't much ... I can easily slide my fingers into the space where they contact. That's part of the problem ... tight enough to touch, but not tight enough to stick! Another part of the problem is my driving position ... I prefer close to the wheel, which changes the spacing between the seat and the console. My wife prefers the opposite ... and doesn't have the squeaking problem.

I know ... I know ... I could avoid the problem by changing my seat position ;-)
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-01-13, 07:05 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I would treat the whole seat, but that's only because I love the product.

All kidding aside, it does change appearance slightly, but not significantly (definitely not to greasy-shiny-ArmorAll appearance).

Given the location we are talking about, it seems that if you just manage to get the conditioner onto the affected area only, any change in appearance would be virtually invisible, no?
Old 07-02-13, 05:21 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by caha14
I would treat the whole seat, but that's only because I love the product.

All kidding aside, it does change appearance slightly, but not significantly (definitely not to greasy-shiny-ArmorAll appearance).

Given the location we are talking about, it seems that if you just manage to get the conditioner onto the affected area only, any change in appearance would be virtually invisible, no?
Yes ... the affected area is where the white arrow is pointing for the driver's seat, which is significantly more forward than the passengers seat. I could probably dab some of the product on my finger and apply it to the side of the driver's seat. I would prefer not to treat the entire seat because ... well, where would I stop ... there's a lot of leather that could be treated!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-02-13, 05:51 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The further away from the wheel you are the less likely you'll be hurt by airbag deployment if it were to go off. My seat is all teh way back and I never move it, ever. I'm 5'8 and I'm quite comfortable driving that way. You could also leave the seat all the way back or in the same position as your wife and move the wheel closer to you.
Old 07-02-13, 10:12 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
Yes ... the affected area is where the white arrow is pointing for the driver's seat, which is significantly more forward than the passengers seat. I could probably dab some of the product on my finger and apply it to the side of the driver's seat. I would prefer not to treat the entire seat because ... well, where would I stop ... there's a lot of leather that could be treated!
Regards,

SaniDel
I use Zaino seat cleaner and conditioner on my vehicles a couple times a month in small areas mostly to keep things clean (e.g. blue stains from jeans even on sepia color). I usually only do the bottom outside portion of the seat because that is what needs it most and I don't notice any difference in the color or feel once it is dry. I think you have the same interior color as I do so I wouldn't worry about it. I also do the rest of the seats, steering wheel, shift ****, ect. as necessary and it works really well. My steering wheel and shift **** look like new and not worn and glossy like some other ones I have seen.
Old 07-02-13, 05:46 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
The further away from the wheel you are the less likely you'll be hurt by airbag deployment if it were to go off. My seat is all teh way back and I never move it, ever. I'm 5'8 and I'm quite comfortable driving that way. You could also leave the seat all the way back or in the same position as your wife and move the wheel closer to you.
I'm over 6' with most of that in my legs rather than my upper body, yet I'm sitting so close to the dashboard that my right knee bumps the volume switch. Hmmmm ... maybe there's a better solution to a problem that I'm causing.

We're leaving on a 600 mile one-way road trip from Delaware to Michigan. I'm going to use that road time to "get comfortable" with a different seating position that starts with the seat further back, the steering wheel extended and the seat back more erect.

Thanks to everyone who suggested solutions, but I'm hoping this may eliminate the problem! If not, your suggestions are good ones and I'll consider them if necessary, but I'll keep the terry cloth hand towel in the console ... just in case!
Regards,

SaniDel