GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Lifted GX460 thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-17, 11:40 AM
visuthdy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi TheMick,
I'm a new owner of the same color 2010 GX 460 and interested in lifting as well. Can I ask you what you did to your grill and door handle? I like it! I don't like all that chrome that's currently on the GX. I'm thinking about new wheelset as well, but I like BFG A/T KO2 255 70 R18s. Will 275/285 70 R18 fit?

thanks!
Old 03-14-18, 06:24 AM
Ajbarba13
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dadgumit
Interested in hearing a view here as well. I have seen airbag delete kits online, don't know if that helps. Also, how high does the rear go up? Could you just lift the front and use the airbag in the rear? I seem to recall someone having done that.
i just purchased a 15 with the luxury package and am also interested in a lift or at least a leveling kit. Does anyone have any experience with lifting a luxury model? Seems like I’m not the only one with questions. Thanks!
Old 03-14-18, 08:02 AM
stilespend
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajbarba13

i just purchased a 15 with the luxury package and am also interested in a lift or at least a leveling kit. Does anyone have any experience with lifting a luxury model? Seems like I’m not the only one with questions. Thanks!
The luxury model might have rear airbags, so if you do a full lift you would need a rear coil conversion kit (Metal Tech or Southern Style Offroad sell them). I swapped out my Bilstein 5100's for Ironman Foam Cell Pros that are full coilovers up front. It rides a million times better and now I'm not scared that the Biltsteins are going to fail!!
The following 2 users liked this post by stilespend:
Chasin (02-20-20), JayPixelGX (10-08-19)
Old 03-14-18, 10:45 AM
2012GX460
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey stilespend, great pictures, what year is your 460 and what lift/tires are you running, please?
Thanks
Old 03-14-18, 10:48 AM
stilespend
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2012GX460
Hey stilespend, great pictures, what year is your 460 and what lift/tires are you running, please?
Thanks
2013 GX430 Base
Current Set Up:
Suspension:
Front - Ironman Foam Cell Pro's with TOY055B springs & Total Chaos Upper Control Arms
Rear - Ironman Foam Cell Pro's with TOY056B Springs
Tires - 275/70r18 KO2's
Wheels - Mamba M16 18x9" -12mm Offset
Old 04-12-18, 03:41 PM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys, i'm looking into a final answer whether or not a leveling kit is doable for the GX with rear airbags. The leveling kit is just a 1" spacer for the front suspension so this should be ok since the air bags system is only in the rear?

Will I encounter any other problems by installing the small spacer lift in the front? KDSS?
Old 04-12-18, 07:13 PM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Trijicon
Hey guys, i'm looking into a final answer whether or not a leveling kit is doable for the GX with rear airbags. The leveling kit is just a 1" spacer for the front suspension so this should be ok since the air bags system is only in the rear?

Will I encounter any other problems by installing the small spacer lift in the front? KDSS?
a 1” front spacer will not affect the rear air system. Kdss would typically not be affected until you go 3-4+ inches of lift.
Old 04-13-18, 08:09 AM
2012GX460
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Trijicon, what leveling kit are you going to use for the front?
I have the 2012 with KDSS and rear air bags as well.
Old 04-13-18, 08:57 AM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Black16

a 1” front spacer will not affect the rear air system. Kdss would typically not be affected until you go 3-4+ inches of lift.
Thanks you
Old 04-13-18, 08:58 AM
Trijicon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2012GX460
Trijicon, what leveling kit are you going to use for the front?
I have the 2012 with KDSS and rear air bags as well.
I was thinking about this. I've bought spacers from eBay in the past for my FJ and 4runner and they all work the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-1-Front-....c100005.m1851
Old 04-17-18, 07:51 PM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a gx460 with ~100k miles on it, and am debating weather to get it with or without the air suspension and accompanying adjustable shocks (i.e. the premium or the base). I will not lift it or do any extreme off-roading, but i do want to take it to some remote beach locations only accessible by 4x4, maybe once a month. Most of my driving time i will be commuting.

So, since i will have to replace the shocks pretty soon regardles of which way i go, i know that the non adjustables are straightforward, with bilstein 4600 for example. My simple question is whether i can forfeit the adjustable shocks (for obvious $$$ reasons) and replace them with the same 4600s i would use without the adjustable. Are they compatible with the premium (i.e will they work) or will there will there be a problem or interference with any of the rest of the suspension (like the airbags, the kdss, or will it mess up the electronic brains of the adjustable shocks - maybe i just pull a fuse and problem solved... I dont know). In short, Anybody riding non-lifted airbags with aftermarket shocks? I'd prefer a permanent sportier/slightly stiffer ride anyway.

Also, any recommendadtions on aftermarket airsprings/bags? Are they worth the savings or should i go with oem? I figure they will need replacing soon as well.

An added plus of the premium btw is the mark levinson sound system which only appears to come with the air suspension. I have tried both audio systems, and while the ML sounds fantastic, the standard w 9 speakers is pretty decent as well, and i could live with it.... I am very much into good quality music sound, and since i spend countless hours in traffic, i weigh this as well.

Anywho, Any insights on neutralizing the adjustable shocks are appreciated.

Last edited by Eliris; 04-17-18 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-18-18, 06:25 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliris
Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a gx460 with ~100k miles on it, and am debating weather to get it with or without the air suspension and accompanying adjustable shocks (i.e. the premium or the base). I will not lift it or do any extreme off-roading, but i do want to take it to some remote beach locations only accessible by 4x4, maybe once a month. Most of my driving time i will be commuting.

So, since i will have to replace the shocks pretty soon regardles of which way i go, i know that the non adjustables are straightforward, with bilstein 4600 for example. My simple question is whether i can forfeit the adjustable shocks (for obvious $$$ reasons) and replace them with the same 4600s i would use without the adjustable. Are they compatible with the premium (i.e will they work) or will there will there be a problem or interference with any of the rest of the suspension (like the airbags, the kdss, or will it mess up the electronic brains of the adjustable shocks - maybe i just pull a fuse and problem solved... I dont know). In short, Anybody riding non-lifted airbags with aftermarket shocks? I'd prefer a permanent sportier/slightly stiffer ride anyway.

Also, any recommendadtions on aftermarket airsprings/bags? Are they worth the savings or should i go with oem? I figure they will need replacing soon as well.

An added plus of the premium btw is the mark levinson sound system which only appears to come with the air suspension. I have tried both audio systems, and while the ML sounds fantastic, the standard w 9 speakers is pretty decent as well, and i could live with it.... I am very much into good quality music sound, and since i spend countless hours in traffic, i weigh this as well.

Anywho, Any insights on neutralizing the adjustable shocks are appreciated.
Short answer is yes it can be done and its not too difficult. MetalTech sells rear coil conversion kits. They might be a good resource to ask. I'd also suggest joining the GXOR facebook group and maybe asking there.
https://www.metaltech4x4.com/metal-t...n-kit-stage-1/
Old 04-18-18, 04:15 PM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice. will confirm what i find out...
Old 04-24-18, 06:25 PM
Eliris
Driver School Candidate

Does anybody know if the 4Runner or the FJ shocks are compatible with the GX460?
Old 04-24-18, 08:19 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Eliris
Does anybody know if the 4Runner or the FJ shocks are compatible with the GX460?
5th Gen 4Runner has same exact part numbers as the GX460 2nd gen. i compared them side by side from metaltech 4x4 and toytec lifts websites. even down to the UCA same part number.
i will be ordering the Icon stage 2 in next couple of weeks

Quick Reply: Lifted GX460 thread