GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Anyone convert your foglights to something else?

Old 08-07-13, 09:40 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone try the Phillips low-beam hid conversion kit?

http://www.philipsxenon.com/lexus-c-...ips-hid-p-1254
Old 08-07-13, 12:13 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by frank69m
anyone try the Phillips low-beam hid conversion kit?

http://www.philipsxenon.com/lexus-c-...ips-hid-p-1254
It is an excellent kit. The only problem with any of these kits is they are technically illegal. The base model fixture is designed for a quartz bulb and the light beam is cut off and focused differently than the auto leveling adaptive fixture for the HID bulb. Depending on the design of the fixture, some that have been converted will throw light at oncoming cars just like a high beam. I do not know how the GX looks; you may want to find out before changing them. Also there will be some modifying of the covers/seals on the back of the fixture that will be needed because of the addition of the ballast. I'm sure there is someone on this site that has made conversion.

Koz
Old 08-13-13, 06:56 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Koz
OK I got all the info. The only change on the specs is they are 3600 lumens TOTAL (1800 each). These bulbs are $52 a set plus DHL shipping. I ordered 2 sets for a total of $149.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/11...light_50w.html

Koz
I got the bulbs. I just need to install them (maybe Sunday). If they work as good as they look (looks like very high quality) I'll be a happy camper! I will post pics ASAP.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails Anyone convert your foglights to something else?-20130813_082025.jpg   Anyone convert your foglights to something else?-20130813_082059.jpg  
Old 08-13-13, 08:35 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

hmm...interesting..let us know

At this point, I've only bought the CXAs for the foglights. Looking at converting so let us know how it goes.
Old 08-19-13, 05:28 AM
Koz

Update; I installed the bulbs and all I can say is, "these bulbs are insane!". I took pics but they did not come out where you could see how impressive they are. I will take better pics and post them. The DRLs are MUCH brighter and pure white (a perfect 5K kelvin). When you hit the high beams, these bulbs become insane. They are brighter than the HIDs and when you hit the high beams, they illuminate everything within direct sight of the bulbs. The only negative is when the DRL’s are on, there is a little pulsing of the light (barely noticeable). I have no problem with that considering how well they light. I have never seen a high beam so bright!

BTW - If anyone is looking to convert their quartz low beam (on the base model) to HID, I strongly recommend you save you money and get these LEDs. I never thought LEDs could outperform HIDs. These bulbs took about 10 min to install. There is no modding needed. The only thing you would need is a couple self-drilling/tapping sheet metal screws to attach the little controller box to a metal support brace (near the fixture).

Koz
Old 08-19-13, 05:43 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
Update; I installed the bulbs and all I can say is, "these bulbs are insane!". I took pics but they did not come out where you could see how impressive they are. I will take better pics and post them. The DRLs are MUCH brighter and pure white (a perfect 5K kelvin). When you hit the high beams, these bulbs become insane. They are brighter than the HIDs and when you hit the high beams, they illuminate everything within direct sight of the bulbs. The only negative is when the DRL’s are on, there is a little pulsing of the light (barely noticeable). I have no problem with that considering how well they light. I have never seen a high beam so bright!

BTW - If anyone is looking to convert their quartz low beam (on the base model) to HID, I strongly recommend you save you money and get these LEDs. I never thought LEDs could outperform HIDs. These bulbs took about 10 min to install. There is no modding needed. The only thing you would need is a couple self-drilling/tapping sheet metal screws to attach the little controller box to a metal support brace (near the fixture).

Koz
Thanks for the update...Is there any pulsations on the low beams? That is my concern...Since I have the base, I didn't want to spend too much on the conversion to HID and I wanted something easy as plug and play, but the yellow color is killing me on its looks and brightness. The base halogens seem pretty bad....so you just replaced the low beams and the DRL/Highs?
Old 08-19-13, 06:55 AM
Koz

Thanks for the update...Is there any pulsations on the low beams? That is my concern...Since I have the base, I didn't want to spend too much on the conversion to HID and I wanted something easy as plug and play, but the yellow color is killing me on its looks and brightness. The base halogens seem pretty bad....so you just replaced the low beams and the DRL/Highs?
These bulbs would work perfect for the base model low beams. What you have to remember is that the high beams are a combo DRL and high beam. The way this achieved is by reducing the voltage for the DRL and full voltage for the high beam (I think this is why the DRLs are pulsing a little). If you were to replace the quartz low beam (on the base model), the bulbs would receive the full voltage all the time (when turned on). I would bet these bulbs would look as bright as HIDs (or brighter) and match the color (kelvin).

Remember; If the base model low beams have sealed covers on the back of the bulbs/fixtures, you will need to modify the cover so the little black box wires can exit the fixture (this would be needed for both HIDs or these bulbs).

BTW - There was a case where the ballast for a HID conversion kit was mounted to close to the ECU for the steering (on an IS) and it caused the ECU to pulse the steering wheel back and forth. I never heard of this happening with a GX.

Koz
Old 08-19-13, 10:07 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool, can't wait for mine to come in.
Old 08-19-13, 10:19 AM
Koz

This is a pic of the DRL on (at low voltage) during the day.

Koz
Attached Thumbnails Anyone convert your foglights to something else?-led-drl.png  
Old 08-19-13, 11:43 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yellow? LEDs? Just wondering and trying to get info.
What were you looking to achieve from your fog lights? Depending on what your looking to achieve, you can get different results.

If your looking for the brightest light output I'd go with an HID Kit. if your looking to simply color match than you go with LED bulbs but keep in mind they would be not that bright.

Danny
Old 08-19-13, 11:54 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
What were you looking to achieve from your fog lights? Depending on what your looking to achieve, you can get different results.

If your looking for the brightest light output I'd go with an HID Kit. if your looking to simply color match than you go with LED bulbs but keep in mind they would be not that bright.

Danny
Are you selling anything like these 50w 1800lm LEDs?

Koz
Old 08-19-13, 12:03 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

No, we tried those out a while ago and found the beam pattern to be quite poor. We were also concerned about long terms issues with heat.

Steve
Old 08-19-13, 12:15 PM
Koz

Using them as DRL/high beams, I don't think those concerns would apply. Also I don't think you could use any HIDs in this application. Time will tell. As far as lumens, I think they are brighter then HIDs. They are brighter then my OEM HIDs.

Koz
Old 08-19-13, 12:33 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

High beams: We found that these LED bulbs had a very poor beam pattern - which would also effect high beam visibility.

DRL - Agreed

Steve
Old 08-29-13, 09:13 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I installed the same LED Bulbs Koz purchased and all I can say is WOW! They look awesome! The DRL's look so much better than the PIAA's I had in there and much much better than stock. To the naked eye on a cloudy day the high beams looked much brighter than the PIAA's did but I have not been out at night yet to see the difference while driving. I was running PIAA 9005 Xtreme White Plus 60W=120W bulbs before I put the LED's in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone convert your foglights to something else?