GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Anyone convert your foglights to something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-13, 10:15 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, let me know what you guys think of this:

I have the base GX. So I have just the regular Halogen lights. They look terrible. Especially, the Daytime Runnings....too yellow.

Per Koz, I'm thinking of replacing it to the following:

a) Foglights: H11 6k white (blueish)
http://www.vleds.com/cxa-led-headlights.html

b) DTR and high beam (I guess these go together): 9005 HB3:
http://www.vleds.com/5k-white-10-led...45-1-pair.html

c) Low Beams: H11 5k White
http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-f...11-1-pair.html

d) Parking/Side Marker: the manuals say wedge base bulb 5w? Is it really that low? Not sure where on vleds they have the 5k whites for this.

So, basically, 5k lights on all except for the fogs which will be 6k.

Questions:

1) Are those the right low beam lights because it just notes them as Foglights/DRL? Why are they cheaper than the fogs

2) All of these should just swap out right? No other types of adapters, etc.? Koz, mentioned Adapter for the DTR/high. Why do we need one?

3) If one can just buy these bulbs, why would anyone purchase the Xenon's as an option on the GX? I guess it comes with the Premium so who knows, but I know it is an expensive option.
You guys think that will look good?

4) Next stop: interior LEDs. may need some recommendations on where to find these and which ones

Any opinions on this setup?
Old 07-30-13, 07:32 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by frank69m
So, let me know what you guys think of this:

I have the base GX. So I have just the regular Halogen lights. They look terrible. Especially, the Daytime Runnings....too yellow.

Per Koz, I'm thinking of replacing it to the following:

a) Foglights: H11 6k white (blueish)
http://www.vleds.com/cxa-led-headlights.html

b) DTR and high beam (I guess these go together): 9005 HB3:
http://www.vleds.com/5k-white-10-led...45-1-pair.html

c) Low Beams: H11 5k White
http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-f...11-1-pair.html

d) Parking/Side Marker: the manuals say wedge base bulb 5w? Is it really that low? Not sure where on vleds they have the 5k whites for this.

So, basically, 5k lights on all except for the fogs which will be 6k.

Questions:

1) Are those the right low beam lights because it just notes them as Foglights/DRL? Why are they cheaper than the fogs

2) All of these should just swap out right? No other types of adapters, etc.? Koz, mentioned Adapter for the DTR/high. Why do we need one?

3) If one can just buy these bulbs, why would anyone purchase the Xenon's as an option on the GX? I guess it comes with the Premium so who knows, but I know it is an expensive option.
You guys think that will look good?

4) Next stop: interior LEDs. may need some recommendations on where to find these and which ones

Any opinions on this setup?

bump...anyone?
Old 07-31-13, 06:43 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

1. The low beam is a H11 but you would not want to use an LED bulb. They just do not have enough lumens (1200 not enough). They are getting close. You should convert to HID (5K kelvin is pure white, 6K is getting blue).

2. The DRL are actually the high beams (9005). The DRL are the most used lights on the vehicle and the OEM (quartz) bulbs are almost yellow (when DRL are on). The reason you need the adapter (with LEDs) is that when the DRL are on, the voltage is dropped so they will last and to look dimmer. This voltage drop will create problems with LED bulbs. The adapter bumps up the voltage so they look nice and bright (when the DRL are on). The advantage of having LED DRL/high beams is that the DRL look great and they should last a lifetime. I have them on my IS and will put them on the GX when the OEMs need to be replaced.

3. HIDs Produce the most lumens, only use 35 watts, last longer than quartz and are available in different temperatures/colors (kelvins).

4. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8062832-post7.html

Koz
Old 08-02-13, 07:40 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
1. The low beam is a H11 but you would not want to use an LED bulb. They just do not have enough lumens (1200 not enough). They are getting close. You should convert to HID (5K kelvin is pure white, 6K is getting blue).

2. The DRL are actually the high beams (9005). The DRL are the most used lights on the vehicle and the OEM (quartz) bulbs are almost yellow (when DRL are on). The reason you need the adapter (with LEDs) is that when the DRL are on, the voltage is dropped so they will last and to look dimmer. This voltage drop will create problems with LED bulbs. The adapter bumps up the voltage so they look nice and bright (when the DRL are on). The advantage of having LED DRL/high beams is that the DRL look great and they should last a lifetime. I have them on my IS and will put them on the GX when the OEMs need to be replaced.

3. HIDs Produce the most lumens, only use 35 watts, last longer than quartz and are available in different temperatures/colors (kelvins).

4. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8062832-post7.html

Koz

Thanks Koz! May have more questions as I do my research...might go all cxa 1800lumens...I guess you can go all LED including the headlights. Newer ones are much brighter.
Old 08-02-13, 08:06 AM
Koz

HIDs are in the 3000 lumen range!

Koz
Old 08-02-13, 03:38 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
HIDs are in the 3000 lumen range!

Koz
What are the regular halogens
Old 08-05-13, 06:28 AM
Koz

One of my DRL/high beam bulbs (quartz) just burnt out. I searched the internet for a LED replacement and found a new bulb that just came to market (made in China). I don't know all the details (price and availability) but the specs are incredible! A 50w CREE LED (with built in cooling fan) with 3600 lumens and the temperature of 5000 kelvin. It can replace 9005, 9006 and H8-9-11s, I am working on getting more info. These bulbs are comparative to HIDs. As soon as I get more info, I will post it. This is worth waiting for!

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 08-05-13 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 08:06 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
One of my DRL/high beam bulbs (quartz) just burnt out. I searched the internet for a LED replacement and found a new bulb that just came to market (made in China). I don't know all the details (price and availability) but the specs are incredible! A 50w CREE LED (with built in cooling fan) with 3600 lumens and the temperature of 5000 kelvin. It can replace 9005, 9006 and H8-9-11s, I am working on getting more info. These bulbs are comparative to HIDs. As soon as I get more info, I will post it. This is worth waiting for!

Koz
Sure, now you tell me after I ordered the LED ones from Vled.

Looking forward to your review and pictures.

Last edited by Koz; 08-05-13 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 10:30 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Sure, now you tell me after I ordered the LED ones from Vled.

Looking forward to your review and pictures.
If they are not in shipping you should be able to cancel the order.

Koz
Old 08-05-13, 10:39 AM
Koz

What are the regular halogens
Approx.
55w = 1400/1700
80w = 1800/2000
100w = 2500/2700

Koz
Old 08-05-13, 05:31 PM
Koz

OK I got all the info. The only change on the specs is they are 3600 lumens TOTAL (1800 each). These bulbs are $52 a set plus DHL shipping. I ordered 2 sets for a total of $149.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/11...light_50w.html

Koz
Old 08-06-13, 01:41 PM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, I think I got lucky, VLeds have a 3-4 month backorder on the 6000K LED's.

Koz,

The link you provided says minimum order of 20 sets? I'm looking to just do the High / DRL bulbs, they are 9005?
Old 08-06-13, 03:02 PM
Koz

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
Well, I think I got lucky, VLeds have a 3-4 month backorder on the 6000K LED's.

Koz,

The link you provided says minimum order of 20 sets? I'm looking to just do the High / DRL bulbs, they are 9005?
You can buy one set for $52, plus shipping (paid with paypal). Send them an email. I wouldn't be surprised if vleds is is taking pre-orders and then buying these bulbs at a big discount.

Koz
Old 08-06-13, 07:27 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

I love how it says 1 year warranty...So, if it goes out, who do I call..the guy from Shanghai? lol

Got an email from VLEDS..the 6k aren't what they expected for the CXAs....so they will be delayed.
Old 08-07-13, 05:36 AM
Koz

I love how it says 1 year warranty...So, if it goes out, who do I call..the guy from Shanghai? lol

Got an email from VLEDS..the 6k aren't what they expected for the CXAs....so they will be delayed.
I purchased a really nice flashlight from China that failed. I emailed the seller and they sent me a replacement without any hassle (took a couple weeks). I don't have a problem cutting out the middle man! Seems like everything is made in China!

Koz

Quick Reply: Anyone convert your foglights to something else?