GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Anyone convert your foglights to something else?

Old 06-14-13, 09:07 AM
MickeyS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an HID kit from XenonDepot with Phillips bulbs that are very similar to the HD lights (4300K)I have for the low beams and they look amazing. Brighter than LEDS it illuminates the road really nice.
Old 06-14-13, 10:14 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MickeyS
I installed an HID kit from XenonDepot with Phillips bulbs that are very similar to the HD lights (4300K)I have for the low beams and they look amazing. Brighter than LEDS it illuminates the road really nice.
I replaced the HIDs in my IS with the XenonDepot/Phillips 5K bulbs ($79 with CL discount) and they look great. Will see how long they last.

Koz
Old 06-14-13, 10:19 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by frank69m
Great. Thanks for all the info Koz
IMPORTANT - Do not use 6000K bulbs with the yellow overlays. The 6K bulbs will make the lights GREEN (blue and yellow make green). 5K works fine!

Koz
Old 07-03-13, 03:26 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

This week was the first week I have really driven my 11' premium. One thing I would like to change is the daytime running lights. They appear to be yellow, I'd prefer to swap them to get more of a white. Is this easy? Any suggestions as to what to use?
Old 07-03-13, 05:15 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

I'm thinking about ordering these for my fog lights, they were out of the ones you have Koz, would these work?
http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-f...11-1-pair.html

Can I also use these same bulbs for my dtr lights? I would like to get those white also. They are having a sale, 20% off the order so if I can solve my yellow dtr light problem with the same bulbs I will order 2 pairs. But I'm open for suggestions on a nice dtr light swap to get rid of the yellow.
Old 07-03-13, 05:33 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ChicagoRy
I'm thinking about ordering these for my fog lights, they were out of the ones you have Koz, would these work?
http://www.vleds.com/bulb-type/drl-f...11-1-pair.html

Can I also use these same bulbs for my dtr lights? I would like to get those white also. They are having a sale, 20% off the order so if I can solve my yellow dtr light problem with the same bulbs I will order 2 pairs. But I'm open for suggestions on a nice dtr light swap to get rid of the yellow.
Think I solved my own problem. I ordered these for the dtr light issue,

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Da...d_sku45_r1.htm
Old 07-04-13, 04:45 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Think I solved my own problem. I ordered these for the dtr light issue,

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Da...d_sku45_r1.htm
While they may look good for DRL's the reviews say they aren't that great for high beams. I use my high beams a lot and I even changed my bulbs to a brighter bulb so as much as I agree with you on the yellow looks I'm not willing to give up my night time safety.

Post up pictures when you're done.
Old 07-04-13, 05:30 AM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
While they may look good for DRL's the reviews say they aren't that great for high beams. I use my high beams a lot and I even changed my bulbs to a brighter bulb so as much as I agree with you on the yellow looks I'm not willing to give up my night time safety.

Post up pictures when you're done.
Yeah I did see those reviews about the high beam after I ordered it. I only take about 1-3 trips a year outside of the city, so that's really only when I use my high beams. I have one of those trips in a few weeks, so I might hold off on installing them until I get back. As long as its mostly plug and play, I should be able to swap them out before my next trip around thanksgiving.

I am also concerned that these could affect my adaptive headlights, so I'm going to really take my time installing them.

I did order some white fog lights also, so those will go on when they arrive.

Next stop, window tinter lol
Old 07-04-13, 08:38 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Yeah I did see those reviews about the high beam after I ordered it. I only take about 1-3 trips a year outside of the city, so that's really only when I use my high beams. I have one of those trips in a few weeks, so I might hold off on installing them until I get back. As long as its mostly plug and play, I should be able to swap them out before my next trip around thanksgiving.

I am also concerned that these could affect my adaptive headlights, so I'm going to really take my time installing them.

I did order some white fog lights also, so those will go on when they arrive.

Next stop, window tinter lol
High beam bulbs will have no affect on your adaptive headlights, they are only your low beams, the high beam bulbs are just a quick twist out and back in. I changed my highs to PIAA's,, work great at night but still yellow for the DRL's.
Old 07-04-13, 05:29 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Tonight I looked under the hood to get an idea of the job of swapping the fog lights. They seem hard to get too. Any suggestions? Should I take off that black plastic cover on the top and go that way? Or should I go from the bottom under the car? Swapping doesn't seem hard, it's accessing them with my big hands!

Edit---

Looked in the manual, found the answer

Last edited by ChicagoRy; 07-04-13 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Answered my own question
Old 07-05-13, 06:19 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Tonight I looked under the hood to get an idea of the job of swapping the fog lights. They seem hard to get too. Any suggestions? Should I take off that black plastic cover on the top and go that way? Or should I go from the bottom under the car? Swapping doesn't seem hard, it's accessing them with my big hands!

Edit---

Looked in the manual, found the answer
Glad you found the answer, real easy job, I changed mine to HID's, very happy with the results.
Old 07-08-13, 05:09 PM
ChicagoRy
Driver School Candidate

Swapped out the stock factory fog lights with these.

http://www.vleds.com/6k-white-28-led-13w-fog-light-bulbs-h11-1-pair.html

VLeds had really fast shipping I was surprised I got them already. Swap was pretty easy once I got that fender guard off. I'm happy with the result, they do seem a little brighter then the headlights but not by an extreme amount.
Old 07-09-13, 05:29 AM
Koz

They are whiter (higher kelvin) but not brighter (less lumens).

Koz
Old 07-11-13, 06:59 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I have the base, so no HID lights. Which combo recommendation would you guys use to replace the regular lights, and the fogs..Which would look better? are the regular lights hard to replace?
Old 07-11-13, 11:04 AM
Koz

If it were me, I would convert the low beams to HID and the fogs & high beam/DRL to LED, 5000 kelvin (pure white). 6000 kelvin is too blue for me. The best LED - H11 (fog light bulbs) are these;

http://www.vleds.com/cxa-led-headlights.html

When my 9005 high beam/DRL need to be replaced I will use these LEDs. Remember LEDs should last the life of the vehicle.

BTW - You could use the LEDs listed above for all three light on the base model (high/low/DRL and fogs). Just remember if you use them for the DRL/high beams you will need the $10 DRL adapters. Also, all these LEDs are approx the cost of a single quality HID conversion kit.

Koz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone convert your foglights to something else?