GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

'10 GX from hell...will not start and clicks

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-13, 09:31 PM
pierpark
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '10 GX from hell...will not start and clicks

I bought my car and have had nothing but issues. I think I have driven the loaner rx almost as much as I have had my GX 460. Vibration issues, suspension issues, loose bolt issues, etc... Now for the double secret bonus I am on vacation and so is my GX. Went out tonight to pick up dinner after driving 3 1/2 hours and nothing but grinding clicks. Called roadside and they came. Not the battery. This is the second time it has happened...last time my husband swore I left something on which I knew I did not. Dealer checked it out and said All was good. And now we sit 3 1/2 hours from home and 2 away from nearest dealer with no car. I am waiting til Monday to have it towed because of holiday tomorrow and so I can talk to my dealer. This car has had a team of engineers from Japan fly in to look at it...I wish I were joking...they had to bring an interpreter. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Could it have been the starter and I got a jump (in November) and now this. No lights are indicated. Thanks all!
Old 03-31-13, 12:20 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

since you are so far from home, I wonder if you qualify for "trip interruption" which comes with your roadside assistance.

"If your vehicle breaks down while you're away from home, you will be reimbursed for meals and lodging for a maximum of three nights (up to $200 per night) while repairs are performed on your car, in addition to a rental car for up to five days (up to $50 per day)."
Old 04-01-13, 05:39 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if it makes a click when you try and start it, its a dead battery.

what suspsension issues and loose bolt issues?
Old 04-01-13, 06:33 AM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be starter.
Old 04-01-13, 07:12 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

pierpark,

I'm surprised you have kept your GX as long as you have. With the issues you have had from day 1 it would have been gone if it was mine.
Old 04-01-13, 07:23 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Could also be a loose/dirty connection.

Koz
Old 04-01-13, 12:42 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You and I own identical model year vehicles (2010 GX 460), yet our experience couldn't be more different. What could explain your bad experience vs. my good ... dare I say perfect ... experience? I can think of several reasons:

1. Other than a month or two as their demonstrator, my early-production (November 2009) GX 460 has had only one owner. Was yours new or pre-owned?

2. My GX is serviced every 5,000 miles/6 months by the dealer. What has been your service pattern?

3. My GX is driven daily, but not hard ... other than a recent road trip to Sanibel from Delaware and a road trip in 2010 to Michigan from Delaware. What is your driving pattern?

4. My GX is garaged, never driven in snow and rarely driven in rain, which minimizes corrosion exacerbated by water. Where is your GX parked?

5. My GX is under warranty as it has not exceeded the 48 months/50,000 miles. I don't hesitate to bring even the most trivial problems to the attention of our dealership. When was your GX last serviced?

My point is that there must be an enormous difference in how you use, treat and service your vehicle to explain the problems you are having. As you know, the vibration issue affects only a small number of vehicles and Lexus knows how to fix it ... even if it means replacing your vehicle. I must agree with a previous message ... why do you still own your GX if you have "had nothing but issues"?
Regards,

SaniDel

Originally Posted by pierpark
I bought my car and have had nothing but issues. I think I have driven the loaner rx almost as much as I have had my GX 460. Vibration issues, suspension issues, loose bolt issues, etc... Now for the double secret bonus I am on vacation and so is my GX. Went out tonight to pick up dinner after driving 3 1/2 hours and nothing but grinding clicks. Called roadside and they came. Not the battery. This is the second time it has happened...last time my husband swore I left something on which I knew I did not. Dealer checked it out and said All was good. And now we sit 3 1/2 hours from home and 2 away from nearest dealer with no car. I am waiting til Monday to have it towed because of holiday tomorrow and so I can talk to my dealer. This car has had a team of engineers from Japan fly in to look at it...I wish I were joking...they had to bring an interpreter. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this? Could it have been the starter and I got a jump (in November) and now this. No lights are indicated. Thanks all!
Old 04-01-13, 01:21 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

^^^ My wife daily drives her GX460 (and prior GX470) in all types of weather including rain, snow, sleet, salt etc. It is garage kept but that doesn't take away the way we drive it or maintain it. We always do the recommended maintenance (which is really only oil changes and tire rotations so far) and have had no problems so far. We bought ours in November 1, 2011 and right now has 19,000 miles on it which are all trouble free. Our last GX470 had 50,000 trouble free miles with only oil changes and rotations done by the dealer. The issues noted above should not be happening unless they are clearly abusing it which I assume they aren't. It seems that they may have bought a lemon.
Old 04-01-13, 01:56 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think if the dealer and a team of Japanese engineers couldn't find the problem, it ain't the battery, starter, or a dirty connection, unless they were really remiss in troubleshooting. If it's a short in the wiring harness you may be hosed - can't imagine how much labor would be involved replacing that.
Old 04-01-13, 02:17 PM
pierpark
Driver School Candidate

Update: we think the tow driver was an idiot bc I rode my bike to the hardware store and brought a charger...started right up. This is second time it has happened and nothing was left on. Spoke w dealer this morning and we are going to have to escalate bc battery was replaced and gets fine. I am just glad we are not stranded in a remote place. I did not know about the trip reimbursement...thx for that! I called roadside assistance to let them know AAA driver was unable to jump my gx, but a non mechanically oriented woman was. I think the driver was looking for the 300 mile tow.

My vehicle is serviced every 5k...it is garaged, driven locally daily,and well taken care of. One of the engine bolts has come loose three times. I had severe vibration issues to the point it was difficult to drive the vehicle over 65 mph. The front suspension bar has been serviced three times because it does not handle well on bumpy surfaced (not off road- more like brick pavement surface). I loved my gx 470 and had over 110k miles on it without issues so it is not that I am unfamiliar or drive like a maniac in it. Mostly carpool, shopping, and trips to the vet. Last time it did this was after a long road trip as well. Hope it is not anything too major. Lexus has been involved because of these issues...and because I video document everything they can't say they could not find it.

I really appreciate the help and will update again after I take it in next week!
Old 04-01-13, 02:47 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

With all that trouble, thats very unusual for a Lexus! I would be Pushing HARD for a New GX460 with some awesome pricing included that you cant refuse!!! You have that One GX Im afraid---
Old 04-01-13, 03:06 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rockydog
I would think if the dealer and a team of Japanese engineers couldn't find the problem, it ain't the battery, starter, or a dirty connection, unless they were really remiss in troubleshooting. If it's a short in the wiring harness you may be hosed - can't imagine how much labor would be involved replacing that.
A short in the wiring harness is exactly what scored us a replacement LX!

Not every problem can be repaired and a short in the wiring harness is a good example. Sure, a competent electronic technician with a soldering gun and lots of solder may be able to isolate and repair a short, but for how long will it last? Wiring harnesses are definitely not replaceable and are not designed to be repaired, especially in the vehicle!

We knew we had a problem when the headlights would not turn off, even with the engine off and the headlight switch off. We also were many hours from home and our nearest dealership. Fortunately, the LX would start and ran fine, with the headlights on the whole way home!

After two weeks of attempted repairs the dealership 'condemned' our vehicle and replaced it with another exactly like it ... at no (financial) cost to us. They should do the same for you ... if the problem is this severe.
Regards,

SaniDel

Last edited by SaniDel; 04-01-13 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-02-13, 05:23 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

"This car has had a team of engineers from Japan fly in to look at it" and the problem was a drained battery. Hmm!

Koz
Old 04-02-13, 05:59 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you've already had the battery replaced and the new one is discharged it may be the alternator.
It's a simple thing to check the voltage output of the alternator.
Old 04-02-13, 07:24 AM
pierpark
Driver School Candidate

The engineering team came in for the host I other issues...not just a battery. This is just the latest issue.

Quick Reply: '10 GX from hell...will not start and clicks