GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2014 GX - New body style

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-13, 03:31 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SaniDel
You are welcome. The GX 460 would be an excellent replacement for a 2005 LX 470, which you are happy with and you presumably would be happy with a similar replacement. Wait at least for the next minor update to the GX, which may be for 2014, but more likely a major revision for 2017, which is why I'm waiting. In the meantime ... enjoy your LX, which is what I would be driving ... if it could fit in our garage!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. I notice you owned three LX in rapid succession ... two 2004's and now the 2005. You may be interested to know that two of the six LXs we owned were 'replacements' for other LX that developed problems that couldn't be repaired. That can happen to any vehicle, but to get replacement vehicles ... well, that's why we own only Lexus!
I'm hoping for the update to have the new Lexus front treatment. Then buy a 2-3 year old CPOed one with around 30-40k miles.
Old 06-23-13, 10:17 AM
jbc247
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any word on a redesign? I'm in the market for one and I think it would help when negotiating price.
Old 06-24-13, 05:52 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Spoke to my dealer today.

He said 14's start building next week and are 90-100 days out. Pricing will be available mid August. The GX will have "significant updates" he said. He should have some literature by first of August. I was going to find a deal on a 13', however since I can wait, I will. I'm curious to see what the update will be, and if I don't like it, the 13s will be discounted heavily to get move.
Old 06-25-13, 02:51 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

May have some updates like the 4Runner, just cosmetics....

Why don't Toyota/Lexus put DI in their trucks/SUVs?
Old 06-25-13, 03:31 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

Heck, bring on a turbo diesel that they offer everywhere else but here.
Old 06-25-13, 07:57 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy B
He said 14's start building next week and are 90-100 days out. Pricing will be available mid August. The GX will have "significant updates" he said. He should have some literature by first of August. I was going to find a deal on a 13', however since I can wait, I will. I'm curious to see what the update will be, and if I don't like it, the 13s will be discounted heavily to get move.
I'm not sure how you think your dealer, a salesman there no less, has an inside line on the 14s. You have people on this forum that bought their vehicles at some of the largest dealerships in the US, some of which are in LA and could be considered Lexus HQ neighbors. If I'm going to test the waters, doesn't make much sense to go across the country initially for feedback when you have potential resources in your back yard.

The majority of sales people don't even know the vehicles they are selling. The GX is on a 6 year product cycle and they're still selling well. Makes no sense for "significant updates" since it ain't broke. They may go spindle grill to align with all the other vehicles in the line and toss in the new infotainment system (which is a turd IMO)... beyond that, more chrome bits and a new color or two. In the end, I don't consider any of it to be a significant update, it's all aesthetic and typical mid-year life cycle refreshes.

If Lexus added terrain select, 4 corner air suspension, turbo, 5.7L or diesel, unibody,independent rear suspension, split lift gate, increased the size etc... that would get my attention.

Last edited by tazdevl; 06-25-13 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-26-13, 04:07 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers

Lexus has used DI (IS250) and just like other manufactures, it has been a problem (carbon build-up). I would not purchase a vehicle that only has DI.

Koz
Old 06-26-13, 04:12 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by tazdevl
The GX is on a 6 year product cycle and they're still selling well.
5th year.

Koz
Old 06-26-13, 07:17 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by tazdevl
I'm not sure how you think your dealer, a salesman there no less, has an inside line on the 14s. You have people on this forum that bought their vehicles at some of the largest dealerships in the US, some of which are in LA and could be considered Lexus HQ neighbors. If I'm going to test the waters, doesn't make much sense to go across the country initially for feedback when you have potential resources in your back yard.

The majority of sales people don't even know the vehicles they are selling. The GX is on a 6 year product cycle and they're still selling well. Makes no sense for "significant updates" since it ain't broke. They may go spindle grill to align with all the other vehicles in the line and toss in the new infotainment system (which is a turd IMO)... beyond that, more chrome bits and a new color or two. In the end, I don't consider any of it to be a significant update, it's all aesthetic and typical mid-year life cycle refreshes.

If Lexus added terrain select, 4 corner air suspension, turbo, 5.7L or diesel, unibody,independent rear suspension, split lift gate, increased the size etc... that would get my attention.
Those are my exact thoughts as well, we haven't heard a peep out of Lexus and when I talked to one of my friends that works at the local dealer they don't know anything and anything they say is pure speculation. If there were substantial changes I am shocked we haven't heard anything yet. However, you never know...
Old 07-18-13, 01:22 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do know that for marketing purposes, Lexus is considering the '14 GX to be a "new model launch."

I used to work for Lexus corporate and recently asked a source there, and he said to expect a heavy refresh similar to what they did with the 2013 LS and specifically noted spindle grille, LED DRLs, Remote Touch, redesigned dashboard, new wheels and plenty of other small interior and exterior tweaks.

My sense is that Lexus wants to let the dust settle on the 2014 IS launch and we will get details on the 2014 GX in the next 4-6 weeks.

I wish we would get the 5.7L V8 as an option
Old 07-18-13, 06:20 PM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they will probably jack the price up 2-3k and not offer any discounts or slight discounts under MSRP. So basically, expect to pay 5k more than now for the equivalent.
Old 07-19-13, 05:50 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems the changes for 2014 will be minor and what's 'underneath' will not change, i.e., it might look different, but it won't be different.

If Lexus was going to re-design the GX, there would be "spy shots" and rumors about a new vehicle under development and testing, but there have been none. Go back to 2009 when the GX 460 was being developed to replace the GX 470 ... there's been none of that media coverage. Certainly, if there is going to be a "GX 570" we would know about it by now!

There's ample precedent for what to expect by considering the GX 470. It was introduced in 2002 and unchanged for quite a few model years, then 'refreshed' with cosmetic changes before being replaced by the GX 460:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_GX
There's little reason to expect Lexus will deviate from their "tried and true" formula for vehicle development, especially for a low-volume vehicle like the GX ... and the LX for that matter!
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 07-19-13, 07:07 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by frank69m
they will probably jack the price up 2-3k and not offer any discounts or slight discounts under MSRP. So basically, expect to pay 5k more than now for the equivalent.
You will not see a big price increase on the 14 GX. You will only see cosmetic and tech upgrades. This is not a full model re-design. A complete re-design will happen sometime near 2017. Do not expect a 5.7 in the next re-design. If anything, it will be a more efficient V8 or a more powerful V6 with an eight speed trans. MPG is (and will be) the number one concern!

Koz
Old 07-19-13, 07:34 AM
frank69m
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
You will not see a big price increase on the 14 GX. You will only see cosmetic and tech upgrades. This is not a full model re-design. A complete re-design will happen sometime near 2017. Do not expect a 5.7 in the next re-design. If anything, it will be a more efficient V8 or a more powerful V6 with an eight speed trans. MPG is (and will be) the number one concern!

Koz
It will go up by at least 1k I bet. And, what I'm saying is there will be no discounts initially so expect to pay a few thousand over what you would pay a 13 now.
Old 07-19-13, 10:09 AM
Koz

Originally Posted by frank69m
It will go up by at least 1k I bet. And, what I'm saying is there will be no discounts initially so expect to pay a few thousand over what you would pay a 13 now.
This is not a re-design, you may see an increase of several hundred.

Koz

Quick Reply: 2014 GX - New body style